Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653
Default Re: Mike Adams

He has just shown us what we have known before - good at run blocking. We probably won't know if he turns the corner and improves his pass block until next season.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He can't play Left Tackle and struggles when Heath isn't there to babysit him when he's playing RT and in pass protection. Can he run block? Absolutely, the pancaking of Bradham shows that. Does he get beaten by average pass rushers on a regular basis? Unfortunately, the answer to that is also absolutely. Against a Bills team when he wasn't asked to match-up against DEs/OLB pass rushers he did well but when he's asked to be in pass protection he fails.

So because other players weren't pancaked by Grubbs and Evans, Adams is showing improvement? I'm sorry, I don't buy that excuse. I know you're trying to look for positives in Adams' game but I just don't see it. Pancaking Bradham is a start, now he needs to play consistently even blocking as a TE. We're going to have to pour money into a free agent/spend a high draft pick on another LT because Adams didn't pan out. Is it unreasonable to call him a bust right now? Probably, but it's also unreasonable to expect any kind of growth based on his performance this past season. If there was a worse Tackle in the NFL this season, I don't think I saw him play.

Baby steps I guess.
Yes, I am being positive in that he looks like one of our best, if not our best run blocking O linemen when he has chances. I am not just talking as a TE, if you look early in the season he was pushing DE's in the run game and walling off defenders in the 2nd level on combination blocks.

I take issue with you just trying to discount Adams good run blocking by saying.....he just pancaked a 2nd year OLB-big deal. Normally you have very concise points of view and can explain them that way, but this was not one of those times IMO.

Everybody sees a couple bad plays by Adams and condemns him as a bust. But, they never see the 2nd and 3rd quarter play vs. Jared Allen in the Vikings game where he rode Allen out of the back of the pocket, or stoned him at the LOS. That is where all the casual fans get separated with fans of close line play in football. When I see Adams do that, I know he can handle the elite pass rushers in the NFL, he just needs to handle them consistently.

If Adams cant handle the pass rush consistently on the outside, but can be a solid run blocker, then he becomes the Steelers Robert Gallery and moves to guard down the road.

80% of the fans on this board want the Steelers to cut Adams. When he is starting on another NFL team, 100% of them will complain in 5 years that we should not have let a young O lineman go in his 2nd year like we did Kraig Urbik.

Last edited by El-Gonzo Jackson; 11-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El-Gonzo Jackson For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (11-16-2013), harrison'samonster (11-16-2013), teegre (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yes, I am being positive in that he looks like one of our best, if not our best run blocking O linemen when he has chances. I am not just talking as a TE, if you look early in the season he was pushing DE's in the run game and walling off defenders in the 2nd level on combination blocks.

I take issue with you just trying to discount Adams good run blocking by saying.....he just pancaked a 2nd year OLB-big deal. Normally you have very concise points of view and can explain them that way, but this was not one of those times IMO.

Everybody sees a couple bad plays by Adams and condemns him as a bust. But, they never the 2nd and 3rd quarter play vs. Jared Allen in the Vikings game where he rode Allen out of the back of the pocket, or stoned him at the LOS. That is where all the casual fans get separated with fans of close line play in football. When I see Adams do that, I know he can handle the elite pass rushers in the NFL, he just needs to handle them consistently.

If Adams cant handle the pass rush consistently on the outside, but can be a solid run blocker, then he becomes the Steelers Robert Gallery and moves to guard down the road.

80% of the fans on this board want the Steelers to cut Adams. When he is starting on another NFL team, 100% of them will complain in 5 years that we should not have let a young O lineman go in his 2nd year like we did Kraig Urbik.
Great post.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mike Adams works back into Steelers lineup at tight end

Posted by Josh Alper on November 15, 2013

When the Steelers drafted Mike Adams in the second round of the 2012 draft, the idea was that heíd join with center Maurkice Pouncey and guard David DeCastro to give the the team a young foundation on their offensive line.

It hasnít worked out that way as Adams struggled mightily as a pass blocker at left tackle, getting benched after being abused by Vikings defensive end Jared Allen this season and leading the Steelers to make a trade for Levi Brown. Brown never played for the team, but Kelvin Beachum has taken over as the starter. Thatís left Adams to take on a different role.

The team has started inserting him into games as a tight end, causing him to report as eligible 26 times in last weekendís victory over Buffalo. The Steelers ran the ball on 22 of those plays and Adams blocked well, earning him a compliment from coach Mike Tomlin even as Tomlin made it clear that Adams hasnít solved the problems that forced him off of tackle in the first place.

ďHeís doing a really nice job with what weíre asking him to do as a tight end, and itís provided some good gas for us in that regard,Ē Tomlin said, via the Beaver County Times. ďI donít want to equate that to tackle play. Obviously, itís a different set of issues.Ē

Unless Adams starts catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger over the second half of the season, itís hard to see a big future for Adams in Pittsburgh when they only trust him to be a sixth run blocker.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-at-tight-end/
Mu understanding is that when they drafted Adams they knew he needed some work the the upside was great. He got pushed into action to quickly.

With that being said, he was drafted to early.
harrison'samonster (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Mu understanding is that when they drafted Adams they knew he needed some work the the upside was great. He got pushed into action to quickly.

With that being said, he was drafted to early.
Yup, had boom or bust potential coming out of college. Handled J.J. Watt well as a junior, but struggled with Whitney Mercilus and Ryan Kerrigan as a senior. Here is a good analysis.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...mike-adams-75/

Nothing new, but I would have hoped they planned to coach him up and have somebody mentor his as a pro. Cant just pile manure on plants and hope they grow, have to spend some time cultivating. I still think he has ability to be a solid NFL OT.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,853 Times in 2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

80% of the fans on this board want the Steelers to cut Adams.
I don't think this is true, I think there are many level-headed posters here on this board who realize that young OL need some time to develop.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (11-16-2013), harrison'samonster (11-16-2013), pczach (11-16-2013), teegre (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,188 Times in 5,981 Posts

If I may add a story, which I feel might help everyone get some perspective on Adams.

I knew a guy who taught an SED class (severely emotionally disturbed). One day, his principal walks in, and sees a student (let's call the student Mikey) cussing out another student. With each "F*ck you!!!" that Mikey uttered, the teacher praised him, "Good job, Mikey."

The principal was flabbergasted... and demanded an explanation.

The teacher informed the principal that when Mikey had started in his class, Mikey was an extremely violent child: biting, kicking, even stabbing a pencil into another person's leg.

Almost a year later, Mikey no longer "hurt" people when he became angry; instead, Mikey merely vocalized his aggression.

Baby steps.

Fast-forward a few years, and while Mikey still has (& will always have) that irrational anger, it is rarely outwardly materialized in any manner: neither physical nor verbal.

The point:
We should indeed be excited about Adams' pancake block... just like the teacher was excited about Mikey's cussing (instead of stabbing). Of course, Adams still has a long way to go until he's no longer "outwardly displaying" his crappy pass-blocking... but, this is a first step.

Baby steps.

And I am as thrilled as can be about that block.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (11-16-2013), GBMelBlount (11-16-2013), harrison'samonster (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,210 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I don't think this is true, I think there are many level-headed posters here on this board who realize that young OL need some time to develop.
^^^^THIS^^^^

Many fans view him as a major disappointment so far......probably true, count me as one.

But most aren't ready to give up on him yet....tooooo soon.

Give him more time with better coaching.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-16-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (11-16-2013), teegre (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
If I may add a story, which I feel might help everyone get some perspective on Adams.

I knew a guy who taught an SED class (severely emotionally disturbed). One day, his principal walks in, and sees a student (let's call the student Mikey) cussing out another student. With each "F*ck you!!!" that Mikey uttered, the teacher praised him, "Good job, Mikey."

The principal was flabbergasted... and demanded an explanation.

The teacher informed the principal that when Mikey had started in his class, Mikey was an extremely violent child: biting, kicking, even stabbing a pencil into another person's leg.

Almost a year later, Mikey no longer "hurt" people when he became angry; instead, Mikey merely vocalized his aggression.

Baby steps.

Fast-forward a few years, and while Mikey still has (& will always have) that irrational anger, it is rarely outwardly materialized in any manner: neither physical nor verbal.

The point:
We should indeed be excited about Adams' pancake block... just like the teacher was excited about Mikey's cussing (instead of stabbing). Of course, Adams still has a long way to go until he's no longer "outwardly displaying" his crappy pass-blocking... but, this is a first step.

Baby steps.

And I am as thrilled as can be about that block.
Now Mikey smokes pot and is an offensive lineman for the steelers and people wish he was more violent.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
El-Gonzo Jackson (11-16-2013), harrison'samonster (11-16-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (11-16-2013), teegre (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
^^^^THIS^^^^

Many fans view him as a major disappointment so far......probably true, count me as one.

But most aren't ready to give up on him yet....tooooo soon.

Give him more time with better coaching.
True. The more opportunities Pittsburgh gives him the greater the chance he has to develop. With all the injuries he is going to be needed. My opinion of Adams is also on the negative. He's looked pretty bad as a pass-blocking lineman. When considering 5-0's post, he is very true, much patience is necessary for linemen. Part of the impatience among a lot of fans could be that we were used to having linemen like Alan Faneca who were quietly All-Pro every year. I don't think we can take things like that for granted anymore... so let's see what Adams has got tomorrow afternoon.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sluggermatt15 For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (11-17-2013), harrison'samonster (11-16-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (11-16-2013), teegre (11-16-2013)