Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,418 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Another major obstacle looms

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers right tackle Marcus Gilbert knows he and his teammates on the offensive line will have their hands full Sunday when the Detroit Lions and their aggressive front four visit Heinz Field. From his view, the last thing the team needed was another distraction.

The latest came courtesy of the second report in the past few days from the NFL Network, this one saying some teammates believe quarterback Ben Roethlisberger must become more "cerebral" and prepare better when he is away from the team's practice facility. The report also said Roethlisberger's unwillingness to change his style of play is the biggest obstacle in his remaining with the team long term.

Gilbert, for one, is tired of it all.

"We don't need any of that nonsense," Gilbert said. "I guess someone has a personal agenda out for him. But they don't see the things we see, especially being an offensive lineman. He works with us as much as anyone. We like having him here. He's helped us progress over the course of the year.

"From what I see, I think he works just as hard as anyone on the offense. He's trying to fix this thing and turn this around."

Roethlisberger did not speak with reporters before leaving the locker room after practice Friday, but he addressed the report Friday morning on WDVE, the Steelers' flagship radio station.

"I would love to find out what these sources are," Roethlisberger said in the radio interview. "If a player, coach or front-office person has an issue or wants to talk to me about how I can be a better teammate then come tell me.

"When someone is a source and unnamed, they have an agenda. Their agenda is not winning football games and helping this team win. My agenda is trying to win football games."

The first report from the NFL Network came Sunday morning hours before the Steelers played the Buffalo Bills at Heinz Field. That report prompted Roethlisberger's agent and Steelers president Art Rooney II to issue statements refuting the report that said Roethlisberger was frustrated with the direction of the franchise and that the team expected him to ask for a trade after the season was over.

The Steelers went out and beat the Bills. Now they play the Lions under the latest cloud of distraction and the possibility that three starters could miss the game because of injuries.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) is listed as doubtful and defensive end Brett Keisel (foot) and offensive left guard Ramon Foster (ankle) are questionable.

Woodley said he has played in the past without practicing. If he cannot play, rookie Jarvis Jones would start alongside fellow outside linebacker Jason Worilds.

Keisel's injury, plantar fasciitis, got worse as the week progressed. Ziggy Hood, who lost his starting job to Cameron Heyward earlier in the season, would take Keisel's place in the starting lineup.

Woodley leads the team in sacks, and Keisel leads the team in quarterback pressures.

"We have to do what we've been doing and play the defense, play our technique," Hood said. "If we get there, we get there. If we don't, we have to put enough pressure on the quarterback to where we force bad decisions and help guys on the back end with hustle plays."

Veteran offensive lineman Guy Whimper said he expected to get the start in place of Foster, who did not practice for the third consecutive day after spraining his ankle against the Bills.

Whimper has proved to be a valuable asset for offensive line coach Jack Bicknell. Whimper stepped in to play left guard for Foster when he had a concussion during the Oakland game. He started at right guard the next week in New England in place of the injured David DeCastro. He also played the majority of the win against the Baltimore Ravens at right tackle after Gilbert was hurt.

"He's so versatile," Gilbert said. "We trust him to put him at any position on the line. He does whatever he's asked to do and he gets the job done. That's the most important thing. He's a very accountable guy. That's what we're looking for."

Gilbert and every other starter on the line were listed on the injury report this week with an assortment of injuries. Gilbert and DeCastro are playing through ankle injuries and center Fernando Velasco is dealing with a knee injury.

It's not an ideal circumstance facing the eighth-ranked rushing defense in the NFL, led by defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

"That's football," Gilbert said.

"You have to deal with adversity. We have to fight through that. Guys who are able to go have to go and they have to go at 100 percent. If they can't, next man up."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...#ixzz2kncV1T9D
Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,350 Times in 3,323 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Another major obstacle looms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers right tackle Marcus Gilbert knows he and his teammates on the offensive line will have their hands full Sunday when the Detroit Lions and their aggressive front four visit Heinz Field. From his view, the last thing the team needed was another distraction.

The latest came courtesy of the second report in the past few days from the NFL Network, this one saying some teammates believe quarterback Ben Roethlisberger must become more "cerebral" and prepare better when he is away from the team's practice facility. The report also said Roethlisberger's unwillingness to change his style of play is the biggest obstacle in his remaining with the team long term.

Gilbert, for one, is tired of it all.

"We don't need any of that nonsense," Gilbert said. "I guess someone has a personal agenda out for him. But they don't see the things we see, especially being an offensive lineman. He works with us as much as anyone. We like having him here. He's helped us progress over the course of the year.

"From what I see, I think he works just as hard as anyone on the offense. He's trying to fix this thing and turn this around."

Roethlisberger did not speak with reporters before leaving the locker room after practice Friday, but he addressed the report Friday morning on WDVE, the Steelers' flagship radio station.

"I would love to find out what these sources are," Roethlisberger said in the radio interview. "If a player, coach or front-office person has an issue or wants to talk to me about how I can be a better teammate then come tell me.

"When someone is a source and unnamed, they have an agenda. Their agenda is not winning football games and helping this team win. My agenda is trying to win football games."

The first report from the NFL Network came Sunday morning hours before the Steelers played the Buffalo Bills at Heinz Field. That report prompted Roethlisberger's agent and Steelers president Art Rooney II to issue statements refuting the report that said Roethlisberger was frustrated with the direction of the franchise and that the team expected him to ask for a trade after the season was over.

The Steelers went out and beat the Bills. Now they play the Lions under the latest cloud of distraction and the possibility that three starters could miss the game because of injuries.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) is listed as doubtful and defensive end Brett Keisel (foot) and offensive left guard Ramon Foster (ankle) are questionable.

Woodley said he has played in the past without practicing. If he cannot play, rookie Jarvis Jones would start alongside fellow outside linebacker Jason Worilds.

Keisel's injury, plantar fasciitis, got worse as the week progressed. Ziggy Hood, who lost his starting job to Cameron Heyward earlier in the season, would take Keisel's place in the starting lineup.

Woodley leads the team in sacks, and Keisel leads the team in quarterback pressures.

"We have to do what we've been doing and play the defense, play our technique," Hood said. "If we get there, we get there. If we don't, we have to put enough pressure on the quarterback to where we force bad decisions and help guys on the back end with hustle plays."

Veteran offensive lineman Guy Whimper said he expected to get the start in place of Foster, who did not practice for the third consecutive day after spraining his ankle against the Bills.

Whimper has proved to be a valuable asset for offensive line coach Jack Bicknell. Whimper stepped in to play left guard for Foster when he had a concussion during the Oakland game. He started at right guard the next week in New England in place of the injured David DeCastro. He also played the majority of the win against the Baltimore Ravens at right tackle after Gilbert was hurt.

"He's so versatile," Gilbert said. "We trust him to put him at any position on the line. He does whatever he's asked to do and he gets the job done. That's the most important thing. He's a very accountable guy. That's what we're looking for."

Gilbert and every other starter on the line were listed on the injury report this week with an assortment of injuries. Gilbert and DeCastro are playing through ankle injuries and center Fernando Velasco is dealing with a knee injury.

It's not an ideal circumstance facing the eighth-ranked rushing defense in the NFL, led by defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

"That's football," Gilbert said.

"You have to deal with adversity. We have to fight through that. Guys who are able to go have to go and they have to go at 100 percent. If they can't, next man up."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...#ixzz2kncV1T9D
You posted this to suck the last ounce of optimism out of me, didn't you?

pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,123 Times in 3,753 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

sounds like somebody has got it in for Ben. I have an unnamed source that tells me his feet stink too.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-16-2013), fer522 (11-16-2013), NSMaster56 (11-16-2013), pczach (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
sounds like somebody has got it in for Ben. I have an unnamed source that tells me his feet stink too.
It probably came from within the locker room too....
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,677 Times in 871 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I'll bet it was his wife.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

I think his son is selling him out.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
You posted this to suck the last ounce of optimism out of me, didn't you?

I don't think your "optimism" was his goal.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-16-2013), pczach (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

I think the major obstacle in tomorrow's contest is covering Calvin Johnson. He is listed as "probable" on the Lions' injury report. I don't care about Gilbert, this is more urgent, IMO!!!
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggermatt15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Gilbert and every other starter on the line were listed on the injury report this week
Only in Pittsburgh.

Sigh.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote