Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Gene Collier: Steelers defense transforms

By Gene Collier / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

By rigidly-enforced custom, an NFL halftime lasts exactly 12 minutes, nowhere near enough time to neutralize -- schematically or otherwise -- a force of nature like Detroit's Calvin Johnson.

Yet this was the story of Sunday's all-but-inexplicable Steelers episode, at least it was after Johnson caught six passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns in the first half at Heinz Field.

He was Megatron, and then he was Mega-gone.

"Absolutely nothing," Johnson said when asked later if he had anything in the way of an explanation.

It was funny how he'd described the full extent of his contribution after halftime -- no yards, no catches and no influence whatsoever as the Steelers came from behind for a 37-27 victory.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who'd thrown for 327 yards by halftime and blasted Detroit out of a 14-0 hole with a 27-point second quarter, went 3 for 16 in the second half for 35 yards.

"There weren't any halftime adjustments at all," Troy Polamalu said. "We just gave up some big plays, some of them on missed coverages, but sometimes it was just a matter of great players making great plays."

But Troy, after allowing 27 points in a quarter, where were you emotionally?

"Where I was before the game," Troy said.

Of course, in a very peaceful place. I should have known better.

But that's not where some 58,000 well-soaked eyewitnesses were, not by an emotional mile. They were in that place where it looked as though Stafford and Johnson would pile up 1,000 yards and 50 points before everyone even got out of the rain.

"Personally, I was ticked," said defensive end Cameron Heyward, who helped a front seven working without injured starters Brett Keisel and LaMarr Woodley pitch a shutout in the second half. "I was ticked at our defense because we want to play better than that. I thought we came out with a lot of pride in the second half.

"But no, not a lot of adjustments. We ran some stunts. Our coverage did a great job, buyin' us time, and even though we didn't get sacks like we wanted (2), we were able to throw [Stafford] off his spot, and he drifted some balls."

The biggest adjustment likely came from safety Will Allen, floating deep in Dick LeBeau's dime package late in the fourth quarter. Ben Roethlisberger had just driven the offense 97 yards to a 30-27 lead with 4:46 to play, but just 18 seconds later, Stafford rolled out to his right, looking again for Mega-gone, and Allen thought he'd seen this play before.

"I'd seen it on tape against Dallas," Allen said in a boisterous home locker room. "They ran the same play in a two-minute drill against Dallas or a four-minute drill against Dallas. Same set. Same rollout. Same everything.

"That time they threw it to No. 18 [Kris Durham] because the safety bit. I just stayed deep, man. Playin' technique ball. Maybe [Stafford] thought I was single high. Maybe he was just targeting Calvin Johnson the whole time. I knew where Calvin was prior to the play. I just stayed deep and went up and made a play."

It was a curious call on a day of curious calls by Detroit's staff, the stupidest of which was a fake field goal in a situation in which a chip shot would have put the Lions up, 30-23.

But now, trailing 30-27, they sent Stafford rolling wide right and throwing long left, never a good idea, and Allen saw it coming from about Tuesday of this week. Allen's interception and 27-yard return was the uproarious preamble for Roethlisberger's fourth touchdown pass, a 20-yarder to Jerricho Cotchery behind a blown coverage for a 10-point lead with 2:29 left.

Allen's pick was the eighth takeaway by the Steelers defense in the past four games, that after getting only one in the season's first six games. It bailed out a secondary that had essentially allowed 27 points in 14:01 right before half, and it completed a cavalry charge to help Ike Taylor with Johnson.

Taylor struggled severely in stretches, committing two holding penalties on Megatron, dropping two interceptions at a total cost of 10 points, but ultimately it was Ike who was primarily responsible for the Mega-gone part of the show.

"Ike Taylor did a great job in the second half," Allen said. "We didn't change the game plan. Ike Taylor had him man-to-man. Followed him around the field. They made some plays in the second quarter, which we thought they would. You can't stop Calvin Johnson. But we slowed him down tremendously in the second half. Got some pressure up front. Got to confusing them."

Confusing them and everybody else.

In a three-way AFC North tie with their next two opponents, the Steelers will gladly take this looming opportunity to at least add to the confusion.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...#ixzz2kzRMOAbN
Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,082 Times in 3,742 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Gene Collier: Steelers defense transforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post

"Ike Taylor did a great job in the second half," Allen said. "We didn't change the game plan. Ike Taylor had him man-to-man. Followed him around the field. They made some plays in the second quarter, which we thought they would. You can't stop Calvin Johnson. But we slowed him down tremendously in the second half. Got some pressure up front. Got to confusing them."
Ike for president!
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
lardlad (11-18-2013), steelfury02 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,944 Posts
My Mood: Fine

well, Ike should at least be pleased that he and the rest of the D played their best 3 quarters of the season (IMO) - glad they aren't satisfied though

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,273 Times in 677 Posts

I am really hoping this boosts them to a consistent new level and beyond for the remainder of the season. That 2nd quarter looked like the Pats game all over again and they should be embarassed about it.

The scary thing is thinking about how many more times that may happen. Looking at some film it really was just players trying to do too much and being out of position.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,944 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I am really hoping this boosts them to a consistent new level and beyond for the remainder of the season. That 2nd quarter looked like the Pats game all over again and they should be embarassed about it.

The scary thing is thinking about how many more times that may happen. Looking at some film it really was just players trying to do too much and being out of position.
The one TD pass where Megatron was sorta crouching, caught it, then lunged - he is the only WR in the game that can move his body like that - 99% of the other WRs would have just caught it right there, unless they were upright, and would have been down.

I fault Ike for trying to tackle him too high but EVERY corner needs help against Megatron - and then that is still no guarantee he just won't own the other guy too

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote