Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #121
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,888 Times in 8,681 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Ike Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
I started this thread complimenting Ike. The haters came on and started bashing him and bashing him and bashing him (which they are clueless and dead wrong about)….three or four posts in a row used language that people of education and class usually stay away from when describing people of African American descent because of the historical connotations of 200 years of prejudicial language. It's really not that hard to understand. People are now acting willfully ignorant or deflecting through projection. Again, a simple google of the topic will begin your education process. Why not be willing to say to yourself, "Maybe there is something here I didn't know about?" That's what intellectually curious people do. Then you won't continue to come off as an oaf.
Thank you for the clarification.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #122
gloydfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18821

So, the use of the word "lazy" should be avoided (as a show of class) because it was used to describe slaves unwilling to work over 200 years ago? Wow! That's a reach... Ya know, I'm so tired of all the political correctness bs that its about to make me sick! I could care less if the use of "lazy" offends someone because the people that are offended by that are going to be offended regardless of what you do. That mentality offends me! So now we are both offended. Happy now? And oh, maybe Ike has slowed down but he's still pretty darn good. Hoping they put a beat down on the rat birds!!!
gloydfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gloydfan For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (11-27-2013), SteelCityMom (11-29-2013), Steeldude (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #123
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,073 Times in 4,692 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloydfan View Post
So, the use of the word "lazy" should be avoided (as a show of class) because it was used to describe slaves unwilling to work over 200 years ago? Wow! That's a reach...
yes, it's a major reach...
Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #124
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloydfan View Post
So, the use of the word "lazy" should be avoided (as a show of class) because it was used to describe slaves unwilling to work over 200 years ago? Wow! That's a reach... Ya know, I'm so tired of all the political correctness bs that its about to make me sick! I could care less if the use of "lazy" offends someone because the people that are offended by that are going to be offended regardless of what you do. That mentality offends me! So now we are both offended. Happy now? And oh, maybe Ike has slowed down but he's still pretty darn good. Hoping they put a beat down on the rat birds!!!
Wrong..its been used that way for the past 200…the whole time. NOT used only of slaves….well into the current era, the word has been used as a pejorative slur on black men. The word use has a long and ugly historical and contemporary use. I think all the defensiveness only confirms it. Look, I am against extremism on both ends….extreme political correctness or extreme insensitivity…but if you are not aware that "lazy" is a loaded word to lay on African Americans, then you are ignorant of history and the present day feelings of people like Republican Colin Powell who recently commented that the word still stirs angry feelings in the African American community. I agree that there is extremism…that doesn't mean there aren't credible lines we shouldn't be aware of. If you cannot grasp nuance, middle ground or reasonable concerns without jumping to the extreme reaction…then thats on you. "Lazy" is a crappy, loaded word to lay on black men. People of learning and class (liberal and conservative) know it and avoid it.
JeromeBetties63 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #125
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,073 Times in 4,692 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Wrong..its been used that way for the past 200…the whole time. NOT used only of slaves….well into the current era, the word has been used as a pejorative slur on black men. The word use has a long and ugly historical and contemporary use. I think all the defensiveness only confirms it. Look, I am against extremism on both ends….extreme political correctness or extreme insensitivity…but if you are not aware that "lazy" is a loaded word to lay on African Americans, then you are ignorant of history and the present day feelings of people like Republican Colin Powell who recently commented that the word still stirs angry feelings in the African American community. I agree that there is extremism…that doesn't mean there aren't credible lines we shouldn't be aware of. If you cannot grasp nuance, middle ground or reasonable concerns without jumping to the extreme reaction…then thats on you. "Lazy" is a crappy, loaded word to lay on black men. People of learning and class (liberal and conservative) know it and avoid it.
you have already lost all credibility trying to drum home your point that is a major reach.

they say the first thing you should do when you're in a big hole is to stop digging, you really need to give this a rest.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #126
JeromeBetties63
Team Captain

Member Number: 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
you have already lost all credibility trying to drum home your point that is a major reach.

they say the first thing you should do when you're in a big hole is to stop digging, you really need to give this a rest.
Only among the proletariat.
JeromeBetties63 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #127
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Only among the proletariat.
You have not lost credibility with me because I know exactly where you're coming from. I don't have to Google some of this stuff, I've experienced it. But, Lets move on.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-27-2013), JeromeBetties63 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #128
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

Gordon had been alternating good and bad weeks, but this latest performance gives you license to play him under any conditions, with any quarterback. Sure, garbage time was responsible for about 2/3 of his production, but it still leaves a deep enough impression that you just can't afford to bench Gordon again.

from one of my fantasy football sites.. but still interesting when people are bitching about ike...
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (11-27-2013), harrison'samonster (11-27-2013), teegre (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #129
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,526 Times in 2,778 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
Gordon had been alternating good and bad weeks, but this latest performance gives you license to play him under any conditions, with any quarterback. Sure, garbage time was responsible for about 2/3 of his production, but it still leaves a deep enough impression that you just can't afford to bench Gordon again.

from one of my fantasy football sites.. but still interesting when people are bitching about ike...
hey if all that yardage went for 11 points total, i'd say our defense played a solid game. like you said, most of the game especially in the 2nd half was already garbage time when we were already well ahead. defense can go into prevent mode and give up the underneath stuff
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #130
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
You are either ignorant (in the original meaning of the word) or you are being intentionally obtuse. Try googling "historical stereotyping of african americans as lazy" and educate yourself. This has been a pejorative used concerning African Americans since pre-civil war days. Using some anecdote about Ben being called lazy does not overturn 200 years of racial stereotyping.
Huh? Is this an attempt to troll a thread? How can anyone claim the term "lazy" as being racist?
Hawaii 5-0 (11-27-2013), SteelCityMom (11-29-2013)