Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,123 Posts
Default JFK Assassination 50 years later

I have only visited Dallas twice on very short business trip and other than getting trashed on a 30 pack of Busch light in the Uptown Hilton Hotel Lobby after bar hopping there are just a few memorable things I did.

1. go to the Galleria mall across the street.
2. circle around Cowboys Stadium long enough to see the perimeter and piss in the parking lot on the way to Daley Plaza downtown.
3. visit the plaza both times.afterwards going for a good steak around the corner and to Gators shot bar.

unfortunately the Book Depository museum had just closed both times by the time we had arrived but I tell you what just stand in the plaza and look around, there is nothing else like a time warp taking you back to all the video footage that has been seen throughout the years of that historic day.

it is hard to explain but when you go there it is almost as if that moment is frozen in time.I was not alive. I did not live it. but learning about its history has always been fascinating. I am NOT a huge conspiracy theorist but I do give credence to the MK ULTRA project.

if you have never been, I highly recommend taking a step back in time and even tipping one of the street hustlers there to give you the tour and the breakdown of the conspiracy and pointing out all the landmarks such as the rail yard. Must to see the grassy knoll as it was 50 years later is something else. As is the white "X" painted in the street marking the point of impact.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,182 Posts
Default Re: JFK Assassination 50 years later

so tony, are you saying you don't think john wilkes booth shot kennedy ?
i'm a bit of a history buff myself and noway in hell does someone make that shot with a derringer..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-23-2013), GodfatherofSoul (11-22-2013), JonM229 (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
so tony, are you saying you don't think john wilkes booth shot kennedy ?
i'm a bit of a history buff myself and noway in hell does someone make that shot with a derringer..
if I told you I would have to kill you. Then that would just raise the cost of a hamburger in america to 10 dollars. Even though if you go to any average chili's or applebees you pay 10 dollars for a hamburger anyways.

There is no way I can believe anything someone working for tips and handouts believes. They are all just idiots too lazy to better themselves and apply for one of the millions of open executive jobs.

Of course it was a crack shot rightwingnut with a peashooter. The only thing more amazing than his feat is that after six years obamacare.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
tony hipchest

it is kind of like the end of american beauty. Everyone had a reason to kill kevin spacey.the fact that it is left some what open is what made it such a great movie.

Anyways I do think Mr. White holds a lot of answers...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,161 Times in 2,410 Posts

For those wanting to see how that nightmare was reported as it unfolded that awful Friday afternoon before Thanksgiving, CBS is streaming its broadcasts of that weekend commencing at 1:40 p.m. EST today

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/jfk-assassination/

Link to YouTube of all three networks coverage on that day here

https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidVonPeinJFK

I have watched some of that coverage - it was interesting to see how the news media lined up to get the party line out - LBJ was described as vigorous and in the prime of life (he was a heavy smoker & drinker and had a massive heart attack in 1955) - any rumors the assassination might be tied to right wing groups were slammed down immediately whereas there was no reservation about describing Oswald as a leftist

David Brinkley gave an eloquent commentary as NBC was winding up its coverage for the day shortly after midnight on Saturday morning , November 23

It has all been shocking but perhaps one element in the shock was the speed. By the Washington clock, at a little after one o'clock this afternoon, President Kennedy was about as alive as any human being ever gets. Young. Strong. Vigorous. Looking forward to no doubt five more years, he hoped, of leadership in this country and of the Western world. His wife, young, beautiful, looking very happy, was beside him and seeming to be having a wonderful time and leaning across the back seat of the car to say to him: "You can't say Dallas hasn't been friendly to you." That was at one o'clock.

Five hours later, at six o'clock, Mr. Kennedy had been murdered. Lyndon Johnson was President of the United States. Mrs. Kennedy was a widow, a brave and composed one that nobody could fail to admire. All of them were back in Washington, returning in the same airplane that took them to Texas to an incredible tragedy. And the sheer speed of it was too much for the senses... What has happened today has been too much, too ugly, and too fast...

Good article on TV coverage of that day (with video embeds) here

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ppened/281568/

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 11-22-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-23-2013), SteelCityMom (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

So many great articles on the event - this on the young Marines who were the body bearers and honor guard for the casket that weekend

Once at Kennedy’s Side, Now at One Another’s

On Friday, precisely 50 years after the president was assassinated, about half of the 60 men who served as Marine body bearers, stood death watch or marched with the color guard and drill team are gathering here, at a Courtyard Marriott in this Dallas suburb for their second, and probably final, reunion.

I was in a trance,” ... “We were kids totally focused on doing our duty as well as we could.” During those four days, he said, his main thought was, “Don’t drop the casket.”

“Especially down the steep Rotunda stairs,” he said. “One falter, and that casket was gone.”

The February before, during a reception at the National Gallery of Art, the Kennedys were supposed to take an elevator to greet their guests. But the elevator was not working, and when they stepped out, [one Marine] said, he was so close to Mrs. Kennedy that he could smell her perfume. Here is how he remembers what happened next:

“I’m in my mannequin face, and she said words to the effect, “Jack, let’s take the stairs.’ And he said, ‘We can wait.’ They go back and forth a few times, and then her tone changed just like any other wife. ‘Jack, people are waiting.’ ‘O.K.,’ he answers her and turning his head toward me, says, ‘Don’t worry — I make all the big decisions.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/22/us...s.html?hp&_r=0
Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,276 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
it is kind of like the end of american beauty. Everyone had a reason to kill kevin spacey.the fact that it is left some what open is what made it such a great movie.

Anyways I do think Mr. White holds a lot of answers...
Dude you were drunk off your ass last night. Reading these posts is like an acid trip!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
As is the white "X" painted in the street marking the point of impact.
I heard on the news last night they just repaved over the X. I'm not sure if they put another one back down for sake of the sightseers.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Wagen
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 25328

I asked my wife what she was doing when she heard that JFK had been shot. She questioned my legitimacy.
Wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagen For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-23-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Interesting JFK story in Peter King's MMQB column

John F. Kennedy was a huge football fan, and he spent the last Sunday of his life, in part, watching the game of the week in the National Football League: the 8-1 Packers (winners of two straight NFL titles) and the 8-1 Bears, live from Wrigley Field on Nov. 17, 1963....

Kennedy watched for a couple of reasons. He loved the sport, and he was fairly tight with Lombardi. They met on the 1960 campaign trail in Wisconsin, and Kennedy gave Lombardi his phone number and told him to call anytime. Well, before the 1961 NFL Championship Game, Lombardi did just that. He called the president and asked for a favor regarding Hornung. At the time, Hornung was one of three Packers called up as an Army reservist during the 1961 season. But unlike the other two, Hornung was not scheduled to have leave for the Dec. 31 championship game. Lombardi called the president and asked if Hornung’s leave could be re-arranged so he’d be able to come to Green Bay for the game. The president phoned the troop commander at Fort Riley, Kans., and Hornung’s schedule was amended. He arrived in Green Bay on the 28th, practiced twice, and played in the game. Hornung scored the first touchdown of the game on a six-yard run, kicked a field goal and four extra points, and the Packers routed the Giants, 37-0, for their first of five championships under Lombardi. The famed coach was forever grateful that the president stepped in and let Hornung participate in the game.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/25/tony-c...quarterback/4/

The Internet would explode today if it was revealed that Obama arranged for a weekend pass for a team's best player to be able to play in the Super Bowl
tony hipchest (11-25-2013)