Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #41
Steelerindc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15880
Default Re: Those interested in Louis Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The upside on this kid is scary. There's an article talking about how he might be the next Geno Atkins. This kid might have pushed himself into the conversation of a first round pick.

I wouldn't mind spending our second round pick on the kid. He's local and has shown that his upside is high. Kick McLendon to DE and let this kid anchor the line with Heyward on the other side. It's not a bad idea at all.
Just watched some youtube footage of this guy and he looks like a beast. Is he first round material though, I don't know.

Bigger needs are CB, WR then DL I say.
Steelerindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #42
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan1 View Post
They had A LOT of other issues with this defense past NG.

Losing Foote, who was a solid, but not difference maker, Clark aging out, Wood taking another season off ...

The defense literally did not miss a beat when Hampton got hurt and Chris Hoke played in his place for most of the season, in fact 2004 was one of their best years.

Even when Hampton was playing, it was a 1 1/2 down position, with the way the league is going a NG is going to play about a third of the snaps.

They have to be open to the BAA regardless of position, and I suppose if he is it, then it is what it is. But, he would be their third DL taken in the first in 6 drafts while they are suffering greatly from a lack of talent in the back seven and have seen little return outside of them finally using Heyward this year and his being really effective.
when hoke played he did the same thing hampton did....the ate up space...took up double teams! why do you think the steelers kept him around all those years...it wasnt because he was pretty!!!!

i would take a 2 down space eating monster like nix, any day of the week!!!

if the steelers dont draft nix and move mcclendon and woods to end, and they are comfy with mcclendon at nt....they still have to address defensive end then in the draft! unless keisel and/or hood take a pay cut and stay!

they almost have to take bpa at a position of need...which is nt, cb, s, olb! then you can draft your positions like wr, rb, te!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014), Steelersfan1 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #43
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 25703

I guess my point is that you don't need to burn a first rounder to get a guy who plays a third of the defensive snaps to be a space eater.

Just because McClendon might not be that guy, or Al Woods isn't does not mean they have to spend a first rounder on it.

IF they took it serious, they can dig up a solid vet in FA for this, a guy with a lot more experience, who can play well from day one.

I know, the NG is not complicated thing, but you still get a guy who has been around they block and is physically and emotionally mature.

Plug and play. Probably the best bang for the buck to get a guy who could improve the team from day one.

Lots of guys like this floating around - guys who are solid DTs, but can't rush the passer.

Then, you can use your first rounder on an every down player who could have a bigger impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarines View Post
when hoke played he did the same thing hampton did....the ate up space...took up double teams! why do you think the steelers kept him around all those years...it wasnt because he was pretty!!!!

i would take a 2 down space eating monster like nix, any day of the week!!!

if the steelers dont draft nix and move mcclendon and woods to end, and they are comfy with mcclendon at nt....they still have to address defensive end then in the draft! unless keisel and/or hood take a pay cut and stay!

they almost have to take bpa at a position of need...which is nt, cb, s, olb! then you can draft your positions like wr, rb, te!
Steelersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #44
emarines
Team Captain

Quote:
I guess my point is that you don't need to burn a first rounder to get a guy who plays a third of the defensive snaps to be a space eater.

Just because McClendon might not be that guy, or Al Woods isn't does not mean they have to spend a first rounder on it.

IF they took it serious, they can dig up a solid vet in FA for this, a guy with a lot more experience, who can play well from day one.

I know, the NG is not complicated thing, but you still get a guy who has been around they block and is physically and emotionally mature.

Plug and play. Probably the best bang for the buck to get a guy who could improve the team from day one.

Lots of guys like this floating around - guys who are solid DTs, but can't rush the passer.

Then, you can use your first rounder on an every down player who could have a bigger impact.
the only 3 guys that would fit at the nt position in free agency and are not old are linval joseph, terrence cody and alameda taamu! two of those guys are probably gonna be too expensive and we all know how the other is!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #45
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

There is more than that out there.

Jay Ratliff was a 7th round draft pick.
Kyle Williams was a 5th round draft pick.
Paul Soliali was a 4th rounder.
Ahtyba Rubin was a 6th round draft pick.
Abrayyo Franklin was a 5 round draft pick and been with five teams.
Antonio Garay was a fifth rounder and has been with five teams.

Guys who can "take up space" in the middle are out there, in fact, they tend to be lower round guys or guys who have knocked around a bit. They just have to TRY to look for them like that and not be lazy and burn a first rounder on them.

Quote:
the only 3 guys that would fit at the nt position in free agency and are not old are linval joseph, terrence cody and alameda taamu! two of those guys are probably gonna be too expensive and we all know how the other is!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelersfan1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #46
emarines
Team Captain

Quote:
There is more than that out there.

Jay Ratliff was a 7th round draft pick.
Kyle Williams was a 5th round draft pick.
Paul Soliali was a 4th rounder.
Ahtyba Rubin was a 6th round draft pick.
Abrayyo Franklin was a 5 round draft pick and been with five teams.
Antonio Garay was a fifth rounder and has been with five teams.

Guys who can "take up space" in the middle are out there, in fact, they tend to be lower round guys or guys who have knocked around a bit. They just have to TRY to look for them like that and not be lazy and burn a first rounder on them.
none of the players you mention are available in free agency! if you look over the 2014 dt free agent list....there arent that many young nose tackles! the three i mentioned are the only ones! mind you, i said nose tackle, not defensive tackle!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #47
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

The big name guys, obviously.

Again, though, these guys tend to be like Hoke, guys that don't get a lot of press or that aren't at the top of everyone's FA lists. No one know Hoke would be a solid guy, heck no one knew who he was at all when the Steelers picked him up.

There ARE young guys out there, guaranteed no one in Arizona knew who Ta'amu was when the Cards signed him in September, he played well for them this year.

He fits the profile, a fourth rounder who bounced around a bit.

That said, it does not need to be a young guy.

Get a vet to plug in there and play 1/3 of the downs and play the run.

Why burn a first rounder on that?

IF he is the BAA guy, so be it. But, you are taking away a shot at getting a DB, LB, WR, TE with talent who will contribute on every down.

Quote:
none of the players you mention are available in free agency! if you look over the 2014 dt free agent list....there arent that many young nose tackles! the three i mentioned are the only ones! mind you, i said nose tackle, not defensive tackle!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #48
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,965 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:

Get a vet to plug in there and play 1/3 of the downs and play the run.
NTs would be on the field for 2/3 of the downs...
Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #49
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,988 Times in 4,251 Posts

Here's the priority in which I take Louis Nix:

Anthony Barr > C.J Mosley > Ha'Sean Dix > Justin Gilbert / Darqueze Dennard > Louis Nix

One of those names is going to be available before Nix.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #50
emarines
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Here's the priority in which I take Louis Nix:

Anthony Barr > C.J Mosley > Ha'Sean Dix > Justin Gilbert / Darqueze Dennard > Louis Nix

One of those names is going to be available before Nix.
change khalil with barr and i will agree with you...lol! i wouldnt be disappointed with any of these guys at all because they are all immediate needs (except ilb...im holding out for spence and williams). nt, cb, s all have to be addressed in the draft or free agency! my argument is that nix will be a day one starter that will immediately make a difference! were the safety/corner/linebacker may sit for a year or 2!