Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts
Default 16 American cities foreign governments warn their citizens about

Quote:
16 American cities foreign governments warn their citizens about

Planning a trip abroad? It’s probably best to check out the State Department’s list of travel warnings for countries with unsafe political situations. At the moment, the State Department has issued travel warnings for 34 countries, from the Central African Republic and El Salvador to Iraq and North Korea.
Well, just as State warns Americans about dangerous places to travel, so too do foreign ministries in other countries — and some countries warn their citizens to avoid heading to certain cities in the U.S. France, in particular, warns travelers to be careful in a large number of specific cities.
Here’s what other countries, mostly France, say about American cities:
Boston: Avoid walking at night in Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury, and be wary of “petty crime” in Chinatown, the North End and Fenway.
New York: Be wary in Times Square and at the Statue of Liberty, and don’t go to Harlem, the Bronx or Central Park at night.
Washington: Northeast and Southeast should be avoided, and Union Station is dangerous at night. “Le quartier Anacostia n’est pas recommandable de jour comme de nuit.” Translation: Don’t go to Anacostia, day or night.
Baltimore:Considered a dangerous city except downtown.”
Richmond: “Do not visit the city on foot.”
Pittsburgh: The French urge their citizens to avoid Mount Oliver, Hill District, Homewood-Brushton and Hazelwood.
Cleveland: Avoid Cleveland Heights, Lakewood and Euclid. That warning got Cleveland Heights Mayor Edward Kelly upset. “The French government is foolish and doesn’t know what they’re talking about,” he told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Detroit: “The center is not recommended after the close of business.”
Chicago: Stay away from the West Side and anywhere south of 59th Street.
Houston: Be vigilant if traveling through Downtown, south and east Houston at night.
St. Louis: “Eviter le quartier nord entre l’aéroport et le centre-ville, mais la navette reliant l’aéroport est sûre.” Translation: Avoid northern area between the airport and the city center, but the airport shuttle is safe (Hat tip to our friend Chris Good, of ABC News, for spotting that nugget).
Atlanta: The French are nervous about the southern part of the city, and downtown after dark.
New Orleans: Northwest of Dauphine Street, northeast of Ursulines Avenue, north of St. Charles Avenue and south of Magazine Street are areas of concern.
Miami: “Canadians have been the victims of crime such as break-ins, assaults and pickpocketing in the Miami area, sometimes during daylight hours,” Canada’s foreign ministry warns. France says attacks on tourists in Florida are rare now, but were frequent a few years ago.
Los Angeles: France warns tourists to take care in Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach and Long Beach, and to avoid Watts, Inglewood and Florence.
El Paso: The British Foreign Office warns tourists about violence along the border with Mexico, and the border crossing at Ciudad Juarez specifically.
Germany doesn’t warn its citizens about any specific cities, but it does caution against letting it all hang out: “Although the laws in individual states categorizing nudity as ‘indecent exposure’, are rarely asserted and punished, those laws should absolutely be followed. Nude bathing and changing clothes at the beach stirs up public agitation and can lead to unpleasantnesses.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...bout//?print=1

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-24-2013), SteelerEmpire (11-25-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,880 Times in 1,192 Posts
Default Re: 16 American cities foreign governments warn their citizens about

So, basically, don't attend an NFL game. Except in Arizona. Where Mexicans probably don't want to travel anyway.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 6,199 Times in 2,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
So, basically, don't attend an NFL game. Except in Arizona. Where Mexicans probably aren't allowed to travel anyway.
Fixed

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (11-26-2013), Buddha Bus (11-26-2013), harrison'samonster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

i don't know about the rest of em , but bmore and DC are spot on.
i worked on a metro tunnel in anacostia DC. one day i ended up working at one end of the tunnel and my car was parked at the other end. well they had about a 300 ft section of rebar tied up and i didn't feel like tight rope walking the rebar, so i climbed out of the tunnel and walked the quarter mile or so down the street to the next tunnel shaft. the top lander there , the guy who's responsible for rigging the materials to be lowered into or out of the tunnel , his name was "Tiny". of couse it's one of those goofy names thats the opposite description of reality ,tiny was a black dude about the size of a grizzly bear or max starks.
as i approached tiny , he said " white boy , have you done lost your damn mind" , i said , huh? he said "either you a brave mother fucker , or you just stupid." of course i knew i was the latter because i had no idea what he was talking about. again i said "huh ? "
he went on to tell me about the gang activity and the frequent murders and viscous assaults that the area was famous for and how fortunate i was that my "white ass" wasn't spotted .....after that a .25 auto became part of my lunch box.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

Richmond? I staggered around downtown Richmond as drunk as an Angry Frenchman back in the Summer of '05 and I felt no threat at all. A cop even walked me to a 7-11 to buy smokes and we shot the shit for 20 minutes. I thought it was quite nice.

The only place I ever felt threatened was in Huntsville, and that's because we were in a bar with a mouthy Scot who, to be honest, deserved a bit of a slap.
The_Joker (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Wagen
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 25328
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishSteel View Post
Richmond? I staggered around downtown Richmond as drunk as an Angry Frenchman back in the Summer of '05 and I felt no threat at all. A cop even walked me to a 7-11 to buy smokes and we shot the shit for 20 minutes. I thought it was quite nice.

The only place I ever felt threatened was in Huntsville, and that's because we were in a bar with a mouthy Scot who, to be honest, deserved a bit of a slap.
There is not much worse than a mouthy Scot.

I had to laugh at the Steelers-Vikings game at Wembley when a Scot walked pasted singing "Deep fried your goal posts" as though anyone in the stadium actually cared about what happened at a Home International some 30 years ago.

I found another gobby Scot at the bar of the Golden Tulip hotel, down the road from Old Trafford, after an England game. He was giving it the big 'un about how great Scotland was and how everything English is shite.

Given the reputation of England fans, you might think he was engaging in a very dangerous pastime. He was either ignored or treated like the kind of person you find shouting at pigeons in a town centre.

I don't have anything against Scots, my mother is Scottish.
Wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagen For This Useful Post:
BritishSteel (12-03-2013), harrison'samonster (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,694 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagen View Post
There is not much worse than a mouthy Scot.

I had to laugh at the Steelers-Vikings game at Wembley when a Scot walked pasted singing "Deep fried your goal posts" as though anyone in the stadium actually cared about what happened at a Home International some 30 years ago.

I found another gobby Scot at the bar of the Golden Tulip hotel, down the road from Old Trafford, after an England game. He was giving it the big 'un about how great Scotland was and how everything English is shite.

Given the reputation of England fans, you might think he was engaging in a very dangerous pastime. He was either ignored or treated like the kind of person you find shouting at pigeons in a town centre.

I don't have anything against Scots, my mother is Scottish.
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!
BritishSteel (12-03-2013), harrison'samonster (12-02-2013), JonM229 (12-02-2013), The_Joker (12-02-2013), Wagen (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Wagen
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 25328
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

Last edited by Wagen; 12-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagen For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,035 Times in 568 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

As a NoVa citizen, I can tell you southeast DC is SHIT.
The_Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,796 Times in 843 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Baltimore: “Considered a dangerous city except downtown. Stay away from football players brandishing knives. There is no penalty for murder in the City of Baltimore."
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (12-03-2013)