Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 7,934 Times in 2,747 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Black Friday Horror Stories

So I've been glued to reading this thread on Reddit where retail employees are retelling some Black Friday horror stories. As awful and depressing as some are, I can't stop reading them. Does anybody have any Black Friday horror stories of their own to share?

I've personally never gone shopping on Black Friday, it's never appealed to me. I have gone to a large mall just outside of Chicago a few days before Christmas and it was packed, but the people were well behaved, expect for the clothes strewn about all over the department stores.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
GodfatherofSoul (11-29-2013), harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), Lady Steel (11-25-2013), SteelCityMom (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Black Friday Horror Stories

I've never gone shopping on Black Friday before either. About 10 years ago though, when I was managing at the Subway in the mall in our area (it was inside the mall), I worked through the entire Christmas season. I didn't mind it when I was there, it was packed from start to close and it made the days fly by. Same when I waitressed at a restaurant right outside a major mall in Pittsburgh a few years earlier. I enjoyed just watching the crazy from a distance.

My Mom had a good story from last year. She had been coming home early in the day on Black Friday from my Grandpa's house and decided to stop at the Wal-Mart on route 8 (it's not a Super Wal-Mart) to grab a few things for people. It was around 10am and she said it was absolutely dead. She'd never been Black Friday shopping before, but said that's where she's planning on getting some things again this year.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), JonM229 (11-25-2013), Lady Steel (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,242 Times in 3,620 Posts

The true horror is that retail employees now have to work on Thanksgiving so shoppers can buy the $98 dollar HDTV on Thursday night rather than Friday morning.

I have never gone to a store at dawn on the Friday after Thanksgiving. As SC Mom observed, when I used to shop on Thanksgiving weekend I found it was relatively sane on Saturday mornings

But now I just point and click - Amazon is ready when you are - they finally started collecting sales tax in Georgia but by now I am hooked on the convenience of not dealing with parking lot rage and can handle paying sales tax
harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), JonM229 (11-25-2013), Lady Steel (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The true horror is that retail employees now have to work on Thanksgiving so shoppers can buy the $98 dollar HDTV on Thursday night rather than Friday morning.

I have never gone to a store at dawn on the Friday after Thanksgiving. As SC Mom observed, when I used to shop on Thanksgiving weekend I found it was relatively sane on Saturday mornings

But now I just point and click - Amazon is ready when you are - they finally started collecting sales tax in Georgia but by now I am hooked on the convenience of not dealing with parking lot rage and can handle paying sales tax
Oh no, that was Black Friday morning my Mom went to that Wal-Mart that was dead. I try not to even go out of the house that entire weekend if I can avoid it.

I do my shopping online as well. I've got my cart all ready for Cyber Monday.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), Lady Steel (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 7,934 Times in 2,747 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

You can't trample children and the elderly from behind a computer screen.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-25-2013), harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), Lady Steel (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
GodfatherofSoul
Head Coach
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,057 Posts

I wouldn't go shopping on a Thursday just to hopefully reverse the trend of stores staying open. As for Friday, don't think I've ever gone and probably wouldn't if I could avoid it. I've seen too many news clips of people going batpoop crazy like Walmart has the antidote for just one day.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I've been Black Friday shopping a few times and it really hasn't been all that bad. It's definitely crowded as hell, but if you go into with a mindset of knowing you'll be packed in and waiting in long lines it's not as frustrating as you might think. The deals are worth it, but you have to go into it with a plan. 4 of us would go (my wife, her sister, her husband, and I) and we'd split up into pairs. At least one of each pair would immediately get in line (as they are usually all the way to the back of the store) and the others would shop.

If you choose the right stores that are organized, it goes fairly smoothly all things considering. We stay away from Wal-Mart and K-Mart. We usually also avoid the malls. We hit places like Target, Kohls, and Best Buy, but we go to Best Buy last. It's usually not as nuts then. A good game plan, shopping partner, and correct choice of stores and times can do wonders for the Black Friday shopping experience.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,098 Times in 944 Posts

What is black friday anyway ? (no, I've never shopped on that day).

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,513 Posts
My Mood: Happy

My mother and I had never been shopping on Black Friday because we never really had any desire to mix and mingle with all the whackadoodles.

But, one year my mom wanted to go to see what all the hullabaloo was about, so I reluctantly went with her. My mother said it would be fun. We were going to shop until we dropped, have lunch together, and just generally have a fun mother/daughter day together.

Yeah, um, no. We were in Boscov's and I was minding my own business while looking at silk scarves as I was going to purchase one for one of my aunts for Christmas. The next thing I knew, I was laying on the floor covered in silk scarves. A blue-haired old lady who was about 147 years old had come barrelling through, knocked me down, and almost the entire display of scarves toppled down on top of me. My mother laughed her ass off. I didn't think it was funny.

No more!

I still love to shop, but I do my Christmas and birthday shopping throughout the entire year. Online. Offline. It doesn't matter. But I do not, under any circumstances, shop on Black Friday. It's dangerous.
Lady Steel is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-25-2013), fer522 (11-25-2013), harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), JonM229 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,909 Times in 1,658 Posts

one black friday i dressed up like an old lady because old woman can get away with anything. i was in a hurry and barreling through the store and some woman looking at scarves was in my way so i just knocked her ass down and kept going ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-25-2013), fer522 (11-25-2013), harrison'samonster (11-25-2013), JonM229 (11-26-2013), Lady Steel (11-25-2013), tony hipchest (11-25-2013)