Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Talk to St. Pierre

Steelers Notebook: St. Pierre could be returning
Monday, September 04, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Brian St. Pierre, who refused the Steelers' offer in the middle of last season to instead stay on Baltimore's practice squad, may agree to join them today.

St. Pierre was released by Baltimore last week. The Steelers talked to his agent yesterday after they learned that starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will miss one and probably two games after having an appendectomy yesterday.

"We have some people coming in," coach Bill Cowher said. "But I've been in this business long enough not to name the name because I've seen crazier things happen."

Charlie Batch will start while Roethlisberger recuperates. The team also signed rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs to the practice squad after releasing him Saturday.

"We're looking at all our options," Cowher said. "I don't want to elaborate at this point."

Shane Boyd, cut by the Steelers Friday, also is an option.

Because St. Pierre has less than four years vested as a pro, the Steelers could sign him to a contract and keep him for a few weeks without being obliged to pay him for a full season.

The Steelers drafted him in 2003 from Boston College, and he spent the season as the third quarterback. St. Pierre split time between the regular roster and practice squads in 2004, and was not happy about it. After the Steelers cut him before the 2005 season, he signed with Baltimore as a practice squad player.

He felt he had a better future with the Ravens, part of the reason he refused the Steelers' efforts to re-sign him to their regular roster when Roethlisberger recuperated from knee surgery in November.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06247/718962-66.stm
Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Steelers Talk to St. Pierre

I heard this on ESPN. I had a feeling that BSTP would end up back here eventually.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Frenchy back on the team - he's not Ben, but really who is? Sign him, let's put all of the speculation behind us and get ready for the Fins!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Quote:
Quarterback Brian St. Pierre, who refused the Steelers' offer in the middle of last season to instead stay on Baltimore's practice squad, may agree to join them today.
I bet he's like "I could have had a ring!"

I think I'd rather see him than Jacobs in the 3 slot.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Watched the sports call in show on KDKA last night....

Steigerwald said that theres no way the new QB would be Maddox, St. Pierre, or Stewart....I dont reacall this, but St. Pierre turned down a Steelers roster spot to be on the Ratbirds practice squad???

Who knows....I agree with HTG...get it done and move on...whoever it is isnt gonna play anyways...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203 View Post
Watched the sports call in show on KDKA last night....

Steigerwald said that theres no way the new QB would be Maddox, St. Pierre, or Stewart....I dont reacall this, but St. Pierre turned down a Steelers roster spot to be on the Ratbirds practice squad???

Who knows....I agree with HTG...get it done and move on...whoever it is isnt gonna play anyways...
If I recall correctly, when Ben went down last season the Steelers supposedly called up St. Pierre and he wanted not part of this team.

Interesting read from 2005 dealing with St. Pierre and the Steelers relationship:

"The Steelers didn't call their former No. 3 quarterback, Brian St. Pierre, who is on the Ravens' practice squad. St. Pierre made it plain to the Steelers the last time they called, the week before their Oct. 16 game against Jacksonville, that he wanted nothing to do with them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05320/607055.stm
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I bet you he'd like to eat those words right now, wouldn't you? I'm surprised the Steelers called him again after that attitude, because I'd have told him to go pound sand.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

This article is also from 2005:

Steelers Notebook: St. Pierre turns down another offer to sign
Wednesday, October 12, 2005

By Ed Bouchette and Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Brian St. Pierre turned down the Steelers' offer of a three-week minimum contract on their 53-man roster to remain on the Baltimore Ravens' practice squad.

The move will cost St. Pierre thousands of dollars but he believes it's better for his career to remain in Baltimore, his agent said.

"They called and wanted to sign Brian, and Brian passed," agent Rick Smith said. "He turned it down. The long-term future of his personal development is not in Pittsburgh. He prefers Baltimore."

St. Pierre earns $4,000 weekly on the Ravens' practice squad. For a team to sign a player from another team's practice squad, they must put him on their 53-man roster for at least three weeks. Since St. Pierre's NFL minimum salary is $355,000, he would have been guaranteed at least $62,647 with the Steelers -- three weeks of a season's 17-week pay schedule. That's a difference of $50,647.

But St. Pierre was not happy the Steelers put him on their practice squad for a portion of last season when they went with just two quarterbacks on their active roster. Before they released him on their final cut this year, he told them he would not go back on their practice squad. He then signed with Baltimore's practice squad. The Ravens also have two former Steelers quarterbacks on their active roster, Anthony Wright and Kordell Stewart.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05285/586980.stm
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
This article is also from 2005:

Steelers Notebook: St. Pierre turns down another offer to sign
Wednesday, October 12, 2005

By Ed Bouchette and Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Brian St. Pierre turned down the Steelers' offer of a three-week minimum contract on their 53-man roster to remain on the Baltimore Ravens' practice squad.

The move will cost St. Pierre thousands of dollars but he believes it's better for his career to remain in Baltimore, his agent said.

"They called and wanted to sign Brian, and Brian passed," agent Rick Smith said. "He turned it down. The long-term future of his personal development is not in Pittsburgh. He prefers Baltimore."

St. Pierre earns $4,000 weekly on the Ravens' practice squad. For a team to sign a player from another team's practice squad, they must put him on their 53-man roster for at least three weeks. Since St. Pierre's NFL minimum salary is $355,000, he would have been guaranteed at least $62,647 with the Steelers -- three weeks of a season's 17-week pay schedule. That's a difference of $50,647.

But St. Pierre was not happy the Steelers put him on their practice squad for a portion of last season when they went with just two quarterbacks on their active roster. Before they released him on their final cut this year, he told them he would not go back on their practice squad. He then signed with Baltimore's practice squad. The Ravens also have two former Steelers quarterbacks on their active roster, Anthony Wright and Kordell Stewart.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05285/586980.stm

smooth move......

Old 09-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

While I realize that was 2005 and this is 2006, it sort of gives you an idea of the relationship between St. Pierre and the Steelers organization. The question now is, has anything changed since St. Pierre realized that his "long-term future of his personal development" is no longer an issue, but simply filling in as a #3 QB for teams looking?