Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,023 Times in 1,872 Posts
Default Dem proposes taxing drivers by the mile.

Quote:
Dem proposes taxing drivers by the mile

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) on Tuesday reintroduced legislation that would require the government to study the most practical ways of taxing drivers based on how far they drive, in order to help fund federal highway programs.

Blumenauer's bill, H.R. 3638, would set up a Road Usage Fee Pilot Program, which he said would study mileage-based fee systems. He cast his bill as a long-term solution for funding highway programs, and proposed it along with a shorter-term plan to nearly double the gas tax, from 18.4 cents to 33.4 cents per gallon.

"As we extend the gas tax, we must also think about how to replace it with something more sustainable," Blumenauer said Tuesday. "The best candidate would be the vehicle mile traveled fee being explored by pilot projects in Oregon and implemented there on a voluntary basis next year."

He said the bill would help answer questions about "how best to implement a vehicle miles traveled [VMT] system," and said it "looks to the future and helps provide a more stable funding base for the next one hundred years."

A text of Blumenauer's new bill was not available as of Wednesday morning. But the concept is similar to an idea he proposed in a bill last year, which called on the Treasury Department to study the viability of a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax.

Democrats have pondered VMT systems for the last several years as a way of finding new highway revenue. Blumenauer pointed out Tuesday that over the last decade, Congress has had to move more than $50 billion from the general treasury to the Highway Trust Fund, as the gas tax has not kept up with highway spending.

In 2011, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released a study that explored how a VMT system might work. That report suggested devices could be fitted onto cars that log how far they have traveled, and these devices could be electronically read at gas stations to general tax bills for drivers.

The CBO called the VMT system a "practical option" for boosting revenue.

Also in 2011, the Department of Transportation wrote a legislative proposal for a VMT system. That bill called for the creation of a public affairs office to help sell the idea to American drivers — it said the office would "increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs and provide information on possible approaches."

These proposals, however, have been strongly opposed by conservatives, as well as privacy advocates who fear the government would have too much information at its fingertips about the driving habits of Americans.
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rs-by-the-mile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,115 Times in 3,751 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Dem proposes taxing drivers by the mile.

Personally I think we should do away with personal vehicles eventually. Too much death. I know business will need them to continue making money and to ship goods here and there.

I know it will never happen, nor do I expect anybody else to go along with it.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

I don't feel the urge to walk or bike 25 miles one way to get to work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-08-2013), harrison'samonster (12-07-2013), teegre (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I don't feel the urge to walk or bike 25 miles one way to get to work.
with a decent public transportation system you wouldn't have to.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
with a decent public transportation system you wouldn't have to.
Public Transpo WTF is that? I live in Idaho no such thing. Places are spread out to far here to make it a viable option.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-08-2013), harrison'samonster (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Public Transpo WTF is that? I live in Idaho no such thing. Places are spread out to far here to make it a viable option.
Like I said, I don't expect anybody else to agree with me, but with as much people dying from car accidents or being injured I'd like to see a better public transportation system put in place and only businesses using vehicles. As a business owner you'd probably be able to get around it by having a business vehicle you could use for your own. We don't have a decent public transportation system here either, that's why I have my own car.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Think of it this way, if you're ever with people talking about gun control people and why nobody ever suggests "car control" ideas when there are more car deaths per year than gun deaths (including suicide by gun), you can tell them about the crazy person you know on the internet who thinks car control is a good idea. You can also tell them that the crazy person owns two cars and two guns.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Personally I think we should do away with personal vehicles. Too much death.
Riiiiiight....because bicycles are so much economical and......safer....

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 12-07-2013 at 11:28 PM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-08-2013), harrison'samonster (12-07-2013), Wagen (12-10-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

@GBMelBlount

After seeing those pictures, maybe I think people shouldn't be riding bikes either
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Wagen (12-10-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts

i don't know whose the bigger fuckin idiots ...the politicians with their dumb ass money grubbing schemes , or us for voting them into office so they can fuck us with their stupid freakin ideas.
so this moron wants to spend billions of dollars on a system to fuck already over taxed tax payers out of even more money ? will these jack asses not be happy until they have the country is standing in lines at soup kitchens ?
if they wanna fuck us at least come up with a better idea to lube our assholes with...i don't know ...maybe increase the federal taxes on new vehicle purchases. if you can afford a new car then you can afford to pay a little more... or maybe tax vehicles by the engine size like they do in europe...

I bet Earl Blumenauer probably already has the company picked out that'll design and manufacture those nifty little mileage counters...

YOU GUYS READY TO VOTE THAT 3RD PARTY IN YET ??? OR ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE STATUS QUO ASS FUCKING ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Boomer (12-09-2013), Buddha Bus (12-08-2013), harrison'samonster (12-08-2013), PeckerWood (12-09-2013), The_Joker (12-10-2013)