Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #91
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,049 Times in 2,138 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Fire Mike Tomlin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Their scary now.
Terrifying is a better word.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
MACH1 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #92
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I meanů.There is truth in saying he won with Cowhers players. They were vets and guys that had been there before.

That said, I understand also that they were coming off 8-8 when Tomlin got them.

So I don't think him winning a SB is bad no matter what light is shed on it, I just think it doesn't credit him with as much slack as some people like to cut him because he did win a SB before.
The fact that Cowher's final team was 8-8 when Tomlin took over is irrelevant. Cowher built a team that was in the AFCC in 2001 and 2005, and finally won in 2005. Also, the Steelers were widely known as the winningest and most stable franchise in football since 1992. I'm not discrediting what Tomlin has done, but he was handed a situation few new coaches get.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #93
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,324 Times in 4,516 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
The fact that Cowher's final team was 8-8 when Tomlin took over is irrelevant. Cowher built a team that was in the AFCC in 2001 and 2005, and finally won in 2005. Also, the Steelers were widely known as the winningest and most stable franchise in football since 1992. I'm not discrediting what Tomlin has done, but he was handed a situation few new coaches get.
I get what you're saying about Tomlin inheriting a very good team. I can't and won't argue against that. But the fact that they went 8-8 the year before just shows how much work it is from year to year keeping a team competitive.

Now 04 the team was amazing, 05 they won it all. 06 they squandered, and 07 was under a rookie coach. Then in 08 they win it all again. I just don't understand how people can think of not crediting Tomlin as the coach of that team.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (12-09-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #94
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I get what you're saying about Tomlin inheriting a very good team. I can't and won't argue against that. But the fact that they went 8-8 the year before just shows how much work it is from year to year keeping a team competitive.

Now 04 the team was amazing, 05 they won it all. 06 they squandered, and 07 was under a rookie coach. Then in 08 they win it all again. I just don't understand how people can think of not crediting Tomlin as the coach of that team.
Cowher's 2006 team underachieved, but remember Ben had his accident that off-season, then had his appendix removed during the first few weeks of the season. The team eventually righted itself and finished 6-2 over the last 8 games.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #95
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Cowher's 2006 team underachieved, but remember Ben had his accident that off-season, then had his appendix removed during the first few weeks of the season. The team eventually righted itself and finished 6-2 over the last 8 games.
My point though is that so much has to go right in a season to win a SB let alone make it to the SB. Some people don't want to give Tomlin any credit for coaching a SB team, when we've gone twice with him as the head coach. It takes a lot more than just a good team to make it, no team can just coast to a SB in a bad coach's 2nd or 4th season.
Buddha Bus (12-09-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #96
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
My point though is that so much has to go right in a season to win a SB let alone make it to the SB. Some people don't want to give Tomlin any credit for coaching a SB team, when we've gone twice with him as the head coach. It takes a lot more than just a good team to make it, no team can just coast to a SB in a bad coach's 2nd or 4th season.
Barry Switzer and George Siefert come to mind. Some coaches get lucky and just have to stay out of the way of the gravy train.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #97
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Barry Switzer and George Siefert come to mind. Some coaches get lucky and just have to stay out of the way of the gravy train.
Switzer is the classic example of what you're talking about. That Cowboy team was really good, but just having a good team wouldn't have gotten them past the 9ers into the SB

Siefert though coached the 9ers for 8 seasons, and only three of them did they win less than 12 games. There is no team that is that good that the coach can coast through 8 seasons with that record while winning 2 SBs.
Buddha Bus (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #98
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550

If the Steelers don't win that SB against Arizona (they came awfully close to losing it) does Tomlin get the same defending? Lovie Smith and Jim Caldwell both went to Super Bowls and lost. Where are they now? Not head coaches. Now thankfully we won that SB but the point I'm making is why does being head coach of a team that wins a SB make you untouchable? It's a fine line as Tomlin may say.

I have a new saying:

Past performance doesn't guarantee future results.
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #99
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

I don't think the Steelers are about to fire Mike Tomlin. But if they do decide to get rid of him, they should attempt to trade him somewhere before they release him. Maybe they can get back the draft pick the league is about to take, because of him.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #100
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
I don't think the Steelers are about to fire Mike Tomlin. But if they do decide to get rid of him, they should attempt to trade him somewhere before they release him. Maybe they can get back the draft pick the league is about to take, because of him.
Right and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote