Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-26-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Am I missing something here?

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Deidra Lane apparently won't have to spend as much time in prison as originally thought for the shotgun slaying of her estranged husband, former Carolina Panthers player Fred Lane.

Lane has received credit for nearly three years spent in jail awaiting trial, meaning that she could get out of prison in less than four years. Lane, 30, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced in November 2003 to nearly eight years in prison for the July 2000 shooting.

In September 2000, she was arrested on federal bank larceny charges for conspiring with a teller to steal $41,200 from a Charlotte bank two years earlier. She later pleaded guilty and was sentenced to four months in jail, which she served.

? 2005 The Associated
Seven years for killing someone? I know damn well that I would get more than that. I don`t get our justice sysytem. Did I miss something about this killing?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292
Default Re: Am I missing something here?

I'm not getting it either! Only 7 yrs for killing someone??? The punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Well, as much as I agree with the sentence...we don't know all the facts of the case. It's easy to speculate.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Very good point Lambert...I think that's what Cleve was trying to originally find out if anyone knew more about the case that could awnser that question!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

I`m not trying to pass judgement. I remember the case but not the facts. Self defense is about the only way I could see letting her slide. Jayson Williams, O.J., Ray Lewis, Robert Blake, I mean come on, lets start hannging people.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I am very curious about 7 years for murder too. But as it was said we don't know all the facts.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

When I was alittle kid my best friends mother was murdered along with the killers ex-husband. They were re-modeling a house and started dating, and the ex came in shot Dewayne 6 times (4 in the groin) and shot Karen twice. She was out on bond pre-trial and broke into the kids fathers house and poured bleach all over the carpet.....She was arrested again, and in the end she got 11 years, and got out after 9. She is currently a free woman. I never understood that......

My friend later won a huge lawsuit against Miami-Township police because Karen was not found until the cops had been there for like 2 hours......she died from a loss of blood. When the woman started shoting Dewayne......Karen ran for the garage. She was shot as she was opening the door, and she made it out, but the door had an automatic return on it, and it shut behind her. She may have lived if found right away. That was a double murder and only 9 years.....I think she acted crazy, and used the battered woman syndrome or something.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen2Ward
When I was alittle kid my best friends mother was murdered along with the killers ex-husband. They were re-modeling a house and started dating, and the ex came in shot Dewayne 6 times (4 in the groin) and shot Karen twice. She was out on bond pre-trial and broke into the kids fathers house and poured bleach all over the carpet.....She was arrested again, and in the end she got 11 years, and got out after 9. She is currently a free woman. I never understood that......

My friend later won a huge lawsuit against Miami-Township police because Karen was not found until the cops had been there for like 2 hours......she died from a loss of blood. When the woman started shoting Dewayne......Karen ran for the garage. She was shot as she was opening the door, and she made it out, but the door had an automatic return on it, and it shut behind her. She may have lived if found right away. That was a double murder and only 9 years.....I think she acted crazy, and used the battered woman syndrome or something.
Man, horrible story! I just don`t understand our justice system sometimes. There is NO where else I would rather live. But damn it just ain`t right sometimes.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

You think thats bad, A guy I grew up with shot and killed someone in cold blood, he pled out to manslaughter and only did a year and a half... I couldn't believe it when I heard it.
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Our justice system is definitely screwed up. My nephew who is 19 (yeah he is 8 months older than me) was with his friends last year or two years ago. They were going to Sheetz in the morning. They all had on bright colored clothing. As they were crossing the street my nephew's friend Nick got hit. He ended up passing away. The lady got away with it. She was a judge's daughter or something. Her license was suspended when she hit him. Yet the lady gets away. Talk about some bullshit.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote