Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,149 Times in 463 Posts
Default Re: Dick LeBeau wants to return in 2014

I still believe it's the personnel and not the scheme. Ike, Clark and Polamalu have all lost a step. We have inexperienced players that took over the likes of Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, James Harrison, Larry Foote/James Farrior. No true second CB, though Cortez does show promise. Woodley is also always injured. The defense is probably a lot worse without Dick Lebeau. We just need the current set of players to well play better and draft players that can make an impact.

Jarvis Jones really doesn't provide much to the team. I thought last year Hood had a pretty good year considering his playing time and since he was in year 3, but he hasn't really grown. Cam and Worilds are playing phenomenal and show a lot of promise. Shamarko has been injured a lot and when he does play on defense he gets beat, but he's still a heck of a special team player.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-13-2013), Steelersfan1 (01-07-2014), ZoneBlitzer (12-14-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,237 Times in 551 Posts

Great -- another season of "Weekend at Bernie's".

But hey, maybe he can come up with some plans to have the CB's play a yard or so closer to the receivers so that when we have a team in 3rd and 15, they'll only gain 16 yards instead of the customary 25.

Sorry folks, I like LeBeau as much as anyone but it's "Gold Watch" time.
lipps83 (12-14-2013), SteelersCanada (12-13-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

I really don't know what to think about this quite honestly. I still think DL is a good D co-ordinator but I also agree that he needs a lot more talent to work with. I think the last couple of years or so have been the by-products of the fact that these guys who were once great defensive players, pro-bowlers, are now older and nearing the end. The younger guys coming in are just that, young & inexperienced and perhaps need more time to develop. I know we can go back & forth, "they can't develop on the bench", etc.. but I also see what happens when college kids go through growing pains playing with/against experienced NFL caliber players. Right now we don't have those elite players on defence we once had (Troy, Hampton, Farrior, etc..). Until we get those elite players back on defence, you will most likely see more of the same, no matter who the D co-ordinator is. Just my two cents at least.
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

I would rather he retire.

It's time to pass the torch, and our defense needs a complete overhaul.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
STEELMANIAK
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I would rather he retire.

It's time to pass the torch, and our defense needs a complete overhaul.
This. Our defense has been on the decline the last 3 years. I hope Butler gets his chance @ D Cord.
STEELMANIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,915 Times in 1,895 Posts
My Mood: Fine

personnel executing really

when tackling and missed assignment is a problem - yea, it doesn't really matter who is at the helm

Look into my eyes
SF Haters

Last edited by steelfury02; 12-15-2013 at 09:37 PM.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
I have no problem keeping LeBeau on as our DC - he just needs more talent to work with - and better work from our training staff to keep people healthy. Plus, gotta do something with people like Ike making #1 CB money, but performing like a #2 CB on our team. LeBeau isn't the one out there dropping INT's like Ike is - heck, LeBeau probably still has better hands than Ike and he hasn't played the position in what 30 years?

Seriously, if Woodley were living up to his contract, Ike was the man he was 3 or so years ago, Clark was even last year's version, Heyward would have started the year at DE instead of Ziggy, Foote would not have been injured, Cortez Allen playing this year like he finished last year - our D could have been an entirely different machine than we put out there - How are any of those things the fault of LeBeau? (OK, except the Heyward starting over Hood thing)

I would be OK with starting to "groom" someone to take over for him eventually, if the FO thinks his eventual replacement is in-house, lets start involving him more in the D play calling? When LeBeau eventually does leave, nice to have someone groomed and ready to go - who already has the respect.
Yeah LeBeau isn't the one dropping INTs and on pace to give up the most yards by a CB in the history of the game. He also isn't responsible for giving up the longest rushing TD by a quarterback ever. He also isn't responsible for allowing the most points in franchise history against the Patriots. He also isn't responsible for setting the franchise record for the most yards by a WR in Cleveland Browns history. He also isn't responsible for giving Miami the most points they've ever scored this year.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
personnel executing really

when tackling and missed is a problem - yea, it doesn't really matter who is at the helm
Yeah it doesn't matter who coaches. Tomlin, LeBeau (in the past 4 years) and Haley are obviously amazing coaches
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,038 Posts

I hate to say it, but just like you have to make tough decisions with veteran players so that younger players can develop and perform, I think it would be best if the Steelers did the same with LeBeau, so that Keith Butler could start his era. Do you realize that Dick LeBeau was 4 years old when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor?

My concern is that Butler gets tired of riding sidecar in Pittsburgh, then leaves and when Dick finally decides to shut things down, the changes will be a dramatic revolutionary change in the Steelers defense, rather than an evolution of the similar scheme that Butler has been involved in for years.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,936 Times in 4,636 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Ron Cook: Blame falls on players, not coaches, for Steelers' collapse

December 14, 2013
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Dick LeBeau's defense has been a sieve this season, but it may not be the defensive coordinator's fault.

I spent hours and hours last week trying to come up with reasons why the Steelers should replace one or both of their coordinators, Todd Haley and Dick LeBeau. Someone has to pay the price for this miserable season, the team’s second in a row. It’s not going to be head coach Mike Tomlin, who is blessed to work for the most patient and supportive owners in all of sports. But why not Haley? LeBeau? Both?

I wasted my time.

I didn’t come up with a single legitimate reason to get rid of either man.

Change just for the sake of change makes no sense.

The Steelers’ problem is personnel, not coaching. That’s especially true with their defense, which has been so bad this season after being so good for so long. LeBeau still is one of the best defensive minds in the game. It’s not as if he started taking stupid pills a few months ago. His players still respect him — adore him — and play hard for him. The trouble is they aren’t getting it done on the field. There is nothing wrong with LeBeau’s schemes, but there are major problems with the execution of those schemes.

Say it after me:

“The players aren’t good enough.”

LeBeau will be 77 at the start of next season and laughed at the reminder that he’s much older than he used to be. “I’m older than just about everybody used to be.” But he made it clear retirement isn’t in his immediate plans. “I feel great. I’ve got my strength. My health is good. I don’t see any part of the job that I can’t do. … We’ve got a lot of good men here on both sides of the ball. I’d be honored to continue working with them.”

Tomlin figures to welcome LeBeau back. When asked a few weeks ago why he still has confidence in the old coach, his answer was firm and telling. “Because he’s Dick LeBeau.”

A Hall of Famer.

This sort of massive failure by his defense is new to LeBeau. Initially, he dismissed questions about how he’s dealing with it by saying his ego isn’t what’s important. “It’s all about trying to get better each day.” But when pressed, LeBeau became a bit more expansive about all of the big plays and points the defense has allowed. “It gives you a different perspective. It makes you realize how fortunate we’ve been. We’ve never had these types of questions around here in a long time.”

LeBeau described himself as “a competitor by nature.” Late in the 2009 season, after the Steelers had a number of late-game defensive breakdowns that contributed heavily to the team finishing 9-7 and missing the playoffs, he said he wouldn’t abandon his players when they were down and promised to lead them back to better times. “I remember saying that. I think we came back to lead the league the next two seasons,” he said. “I still feel that way. I want to be with these players.”

There will be plenty of turnover on the Steelers defense for the third consecutive offseason. Good, high-priced players who made tremendous contributions to the team’s success for many years will continue to move on. The unit lost Aaron Smith, James Farrior and Chris Hoke after the 2011 season. It lost Casey Hampton, James Harrison and Keenan Lewis after last season. It could lose Brett Keisel, LaMarr Woodley, Ryan Clark and even the great Troy Polamalu after this season, although LeBeau didn’t sound as if he’s ready to give up on anyone.

“I don’t think we’re far away. I really don’t. I definitely don’t think this defense needs rebuilt. I think we still have players who can get it done. But we need to get better to be able to say that. So you just go to work every day and try to get better.”

Unlike the Steelers defense, Haley’s offense is trending up. It is playing its best football of his two-year run. Consequently, criticism of Haley has eased even if many people still think they can call the plays better than he does.

“I think the offense has been as good as it has been in a long time,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “We have some guys doing some great things.”

Roethlisberger is one. He’s having his best season, a Pro Bowl-caliber season. Antonio Brown was the NFL’s leading wide receiver most of the season. Le’Veon Bell is showing signs he’s going to be a big-time back. Heath Miller will be healthier next season. So should the offensive line, which has had a frightful injury season since Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey went out for the season on the eighth play of the first game.

But until the Steelers do the right thing and announce Haley will be back next season, there will be speculation about his relationship with Roethlisberger. Haley said he has no reason to believe the relationship isn’t just fine. Roethlisberger, clearly tired of talking about it, became emotional when asked about it again Tuesday on his radio show on 93.7 The Fan. “It’s unbelievable … I have absolutely no issues with Coach Haley. I love where this offense is right now.”

There will be minimal personnel change on the offense. Only wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders appears certain to be gone. That shouldn’t be much of a loss considering the many important passes he has dropped this season.

Firing Haley would be a much greater loss. The last thing Roethlisberger and his offense need is having to start over with a new coordinator and new system.

Sometimes, no change makes perfect sense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/r...#ixzz2naOJpUsX