Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,269 Times in 563 Posts
Default Re: Dick LeBeau wants to return in 2014

Personnel?

Really?

Let's consider two truths:

1. The Defense has been declining steadily for the last three years and all I've heard for those three years is how it's the talent rather than the coach

2. The Steeler organization - especially Colbert and all of the others who evaluate talent (which of course includes the coaching staff) have a long history of discovering and cultivating better-than-average players.

So what would be easier to believe?
A. That the decline of the Defense is the result of the entire mechanism for player development suddenly having lost its ability to identify competent players?

B. Or that the decline of the Defense is due more to LeBeau having lost his edge?
Occam's Razor would be the principle to apply in this case; that the simplest explanation is usually the most correct - making "B" the more likely answer.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Personnel?

Really?

1. The Defense has been declining steadily for the last three years and all I've heard for those three years is how it's the talent rather than the coach

2. The Steeler organization - especially Colbert and all of the others who evaluate talent (which of course includes the coaching staff) have a long history of discovering and cultivating better-than-average players.

A. That the decline of the Defense is the result of the entire mechanism for player development suddenly having lost its ability to identify competent players?

B. Or that the decline of the Defense is due more to LeBeau having lost his edge?
Occam's Razor would be the principle to apply in this case; that the simplest explanation is usually the most correct - making "B" the more likely answer.
Ok just look at the defense player for player with what we have now with what we had 5 years ago...Lebeau has done well
harrison'samonster (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,975 Times in 1,925 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Yeah it doesn't matter who coaches. Tomlin, LeBeau (in the past 4 years) and Haley are obviously amazing coaches
Are you like 20 years old? You were either too young to remember or have amnesia for the 3 year drought that was 1998 to 2000. Cowher and all his lovely QB moves, bad OC after bad OC throughout his tenure, playing not to lose

I think you need to take a step back and quit being butt hurt over a losing season - every coach has head scratching moments. Tomlin's tenure is actually pretty similar to Cowher's thus far in 7 seasons, although slightly better - you weren't saying shit at 6-3 last year or when we won 3 in a row this season - you come out of the woodwork and pile on when things are a little tough

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (12-16-2013), harrison'samonster (12-15-2013), teegre (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,975 Times in 1,925 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Personnel?

Really?

its called paying guys who went 2/2 and then lost third SB appearance - they were trying to squeeze as much as possible out of a SB quality roster - now, we're paying for it - injuries, and some players are not living up to their draft status. To balance that out - we've picked some guys up off the street who are playing solid and getting fantastic production out of late rounders and cheap guys like A.Brown, Beachum and Sanders.

It's just that - not simple. There are too many factors to just say it is 1 guy.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-15-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (12-15-2013), teegre (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,054 Times in 3,735 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Are you like 20 years old? You were either too young to remember or have amnesia for the 3 year drought that was 1998 to 2000. Cowher and all his lovely QB moves, bad OC after bad OC throughout his tenure, playing not to lose

I think you need to take a step back and quit being butt hurt over a losing season - every coach has head scratching moments. Tomlin's tenure is actually pretty similar to Cowher's thus far in 7 seasons, although slightly better - you weren't saying shit at 6-3 last year or when we won 3 in a row this season - you come out of the woodwork and pile on when things are a little tough
you make it sound like he's a troll or something
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (12-15-2013), steelfury02 (12-16-2013), tony hipchest (12-16-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #26
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

He's the best DC in the league....so good.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't hire him in a second if he wanted to take over their defense. 1 bad season out of how many does not mean you forgot everything you've learned.

The 3-4 needs to be strong up the middle to succeed...doesn't matter who's coaching it. We need a NT to truly replace Hampton and we need an ILB to truly replace Farrior. Those 2 guys left and our defense went down the toilet. The other issue is the pass rush... when your OLB's aren't putting pressure on the QB it's tough to get turnovers... and the opponent gets more chances to make big plays. Those issues couldn't be more obvious this season.

in the offseason we need to address NT and ILB.... maybe even OLB. I wouldn't mind seeing us signing a NT in FA. Draft an ILB w/ our 1st pick and maybe a pass rushing OLB in the mid rounds. DL needs to re-stock his playmakers. Harrison, Farrior, Hampton are gone. Those 3 could dominate games. Woods, Williams, and Worilds are the replacements to a trio that was the backbone of our defense for a very long time. I have hope that Jarvis Jones can be a great OLB. Maybe Woods can be a serviceable NT? We desperately need a good ILB and NT.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (12-15-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,807 Times in 8,650 Posts
My Mood: Dead

The NFL had the most points scored today in any one day in history. And, LeBeau's defense held its opponent to 20.

Not too shabby.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (12-16-2013), steelfury02 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Personnel?

Really?

Careful. Harrison will call you a troll for criticizing one of our coaches. You know an insult used from 2003-2008, Then tony will say you're stupid and play video games while he's a genius and use a smiley to make himself feel better .
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Personnel?

Really?

4 years ago Casey Hampton and James Harrison were still in their primes. Farrior was still playing at a high level as well. IMO that's the exact reason our defense is not good now. We need a good ILB and a NT. We also need someone at OLB to get pressure. The decline in talent at these 3 position is dramatic. We now have Woods, Williams, and Worilds/Jones. If you are not strong up the middle in the 3--4 then you can't stop the run... if you can't stop the run good luck stopping the pass.... if you can't pressure the QB with out an all out blitze - good luck stoping anything.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
teegre (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,269 Times in 563 Posts

Gee, how did I know I'd hear about LeBeau today?

First of all, the defense played a great game.

That said, the defense eased up a bit too much in the second half and if the conditions were better might have allowed Cincy back in the game (which has been one of my prime complaints about this "D").

Secondly, if anything, last night's game proves my point -- that it's not a lack of talent.

As for the game itself, we all know that when it's a rivalry game, things like records, and stats don't mean beans because the adrenaline alone will get things done. What I saw last night was a desire and an edge that I haven't seen for a while and that's something that needs to appear more often. But the overall play-calling was basically the same. Sure there were a few stunts and other misdirects here and there, but we basically played the standard LeBeau defense and it was the notion of beating a team that we feel has no right to win this division that got everyone "up" more so than the scheme or the coaching.

I would even go so far as to say that we would have put on a similar performance if LeBeau wasn't there at all

NOTE: Before anyone starts slamming their keyboards, that remark was more hyperbole than fact and was written to emphasize a point.

Collinsworth made it a point to remind us all about the "big plays" that our "D" has given up and it's those very plays that point to a need to retool the overall defensive game plan because this year and in years before, there are simply too many of them as well as too much "bending" allowing teams to eat up chunks of yardage way too often.

I'll be the first one to say that I thought the defense played very well last night but I believe it still has issues and I still believe that LeBeau needs to move on. I heard a lot said about how LeBeau is a "great guy to be with", a "great mentor", a "beloved member of the team", but reading between the lines, I didn't hear any praise about his overall schemes and his overall philosophy, which is not the same thing.

You can be a "great guy" and still need to be replaced.