Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550
Default How do you feel about Playoff Seeding?

I don't know how the rest of you feel but I'm in favor of changing the rule that winning your division automatically gets you a wildcard home playoff game.

For instance you had a 12-4 49ers team going to Green Bay who finished 8-8. This same thing happened when we got Tebowed. We had a 12-4 record Denver had 8-8 yet we had to go there where Ryan Clark couldn't play as usual. Winning a weak division shouldn't reward you.

Keep it so winning your division guarantees you a playoff spot, but when it comes to seedings 3-6 and wildcard playoffs they should go in order of best record.

Any thoughts?
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Nevermore
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14524
Default Re: How do you feel about Playoff Seeding?

I personally like the way the playoffs are set up. It makes the division race that much more exciting and meaningful. Especially with putting all division games in week 17 this year, I thought it was great.

I understand the argument of being a better team and going on the road to a weak division opponent.... But really, there are 12 teams in the playoffs. The top 4 spots get a bye AND a home game.... That gives a strong advantage to the 4 best teams. Of the remaining 8, if a 12-4 is so much better than an 8-8, then going on the road and taking care of business shouldn't be that hard.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts

There is all sorts of unfairness in scheduling. If a team plays in a tough division (NFC West this year) or a crap division (Pats in the AFC East) the record is impacted by having 2 games against other teams in the division. If you eliminate the home game for winning the division, the question then becomes why play 2 games against the teams in your division or, for that matter, why should Arizona miss out on a wildcard while San Diego gets in since both teams played 16 games against NFL opponents.

The current system has flaws but seeding by record will undermine the division concept and open up other inequities with regard to scheduling. So I favor the current system.

My concern is that the playoffs are going to be expanded for more TV revenue, which at some point will cheapen the NFL regular season and turn it into the NBA/NHL quasi-exhibition regular season where it is hard not to make the playoffs
43Hitman (01-07-2014), FanSince72 (01-06-2014), NSMaster56 (01-06-2014), Sharkissle29 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

I say don't change a thing.

If they want to change something change those idiotic bye weeks
towards the middle of the season.

One of the rewards for winning your division is at least one home playoff game
regards of your record.

So much change is turning a lot of fans off at a quicker pace then they realize.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,134 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
There is all sorts of unfairness in scheduling. If a team plays in a tough division (NFC West this year) or a crap division (Pats in the AFC East) the record is impacted by having 2 games against other teams in the division. If you eliminate the home game for winning the division, the question then becomes why play 2 games against the teams in your division or, for that matter, why should Arizona miss out on a wildcard while San Diego gets in since both teams played 16 games against NFL opponents.

The current system has flaws but seeding by record will undermine the division concept and open up other inequities with regard to scheduling. So I favor the current system.

My concern is that the playoffs are going to be expanded for more TV revenue, which at some point will cheapen the NFL regular season and turn it into the NBA/NHL quasi-exhibition regular season where it is hard not to make the playoffs
Strictly from a purists point of view, I think that the playoffs should consist of the eight division winners.

That said, I DO enjoy the idea of Wild Card teams and that's worked well enough up to now. But I do believe that unless there are more teams added to the league, the current playoff roster of 12 teams should stay right where it is.

When the playoffs consisted of 10 teams, it was almost impossible for a team with a losing or .500 record to reach the playoffs. But when the NFL added two more seeds, that barrier began to break.

If the NFL gets its way and adds yet another two teams to the playoff seeding (possibly this year!) I think it will only serve to cheapen the meaning of "playoffs" even more. If the league added, say, four more teams to the League, then maybe a 14-team playoff system would be OK (or at least as good as it is now). But adding playoff seeds without adding teams to the League will only allow for even more non-winning teams to make the post season.

If the League keeps adding playoff games without increasing the size of the League, we'll one day see the NFL reduced to the level of Elementary Schools where everyone gets a trophy and where's the point in that?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Playoff seeding is fine, I believe the NFL will add two more playoff teams in the near future, one in each conference and only the top seed will have the bye

4 division winners, 3 wild cards

1 Bye

2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

Get ready for this very soon and 18 games. Goodell wants the NFL to make 25 billion a year. 2 more regular season games and 2 more playoff games. Yup, he will extend the season by a month, thats another 800 million right there in just tv money. I think the number is till 200 million for each game in revenue, i might be wrong.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,638 Times in 10,397 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I agreed with most: 12 is the effect number.

I hear what people are saying about a 12-4 team playing at an 8-8 team... but, on the flip side, lets say the Steelers & Ravens are both 12-3... and the final game is the head-to-head tie-breaker for the division. If the wild card got the second seed, then eh, who cares.

13-3 #1 seed... 12-4 #2 seed

versus

13-3 #1 seed... 12-4 #5 seed

Now... that is something worth playing for.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

18 Games? But, but what about player safety?
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (01-06-2014), OX1947 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,202 Posts

I believe that basing seeding on geography is silly, but @AtlantaDan nails it that scheduling itself is so unfair that it sort of offsets the divisional problems.

Perhaps there should be some stipulation that a lower seed who defeated a higher one head to head can host a game, but that would be one of only a few tweaks worth exploring.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (01-06-2014)