Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #21
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,688 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Huge Numbers by the Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
le'veon bell and heath miller were the guys we needed to get the offense to wake up. if they started in week 1, i believe we would have clinched a playoff spot already.

but then again injuries are part of the game, if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle

AB definitely proved he's an NFL-caliber #1 WR, and not just that, but superstar status.
Couldn't agree more. Had we been healthy from Week 1 with all of our key contributors on the field I think we're in a totally different scenario right now. I don't think we'd be relying on three teams to lose to clinch a playoff berth that's for sure.

AB is hands down a better, more polished, and well rounded receiver than Mike Wallace. Paying Brown and letting Wallace go was the right decision. Dare I say that AB might just be the most dynamic WR to suit up in a Steelers uniform? I don' t think I'm out of place in saying so. We've had some great ones before surely, but Brown just seems to be the consistent, explosive playmaking WR we've been sorely lacking for quite some time.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (12-25-2013), VaDave (01-07-2014)
Old 12-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Truer words may have never been spoke, imagine this offense from week #1 with both of these contributors, kudos!!!!
Many of these Stats would be not near as high if we were healthy from week 1....Lots of catch up yards from falling behind in the first half of the year. Bell 's stat line would be much bigger.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #23
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The 2013 Steelers scored 379 Points. The Third-Highest Total since the Ben era began (2005 and 2007 were better). Better than the 2008 and 2010 Super Bowl Steelers teams.

Ben Roethlisberger's 28 TD's are the second-highest of his career.

The Offense has been on a steady upswing since Haley was hired.

2011- 325 Points (Arians' Last Season)
2012- 336 Points (Haley's First Season)
2013- 379 Points

Ben for the first time ever started every single regular season game for the Steelers (2007 was a special case). It was also the first time since 2007 that he did not suffer a nagging injury that derailed his season.

This is why Todd Haley was hired as OC. We're getting results.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
SH-Rock (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
Rowland2110
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24418

WE still need to get the ball in the endzone more. And the reason why we ever scored more than 21 points a game was mainly because of mistakes by the other team, special teams and the defense finally creating turnovers second half of the season.
Rowland2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,137 Posts

I think if we go back and look at posts from before the season, it was conventional wisdom that the output of the offense was going to improve significantly as the season wore on. Mainly because of the adoption of the ZBS that Bicknell was supposed to install.

Well, it turned out that injuries had more to do with the late blooming performance than anything else. Think about it, going in to game one: No Bell, Spathe ( don't laugh, more about him later) Heath on the mend, and then Pouncey goes down. That's a large chunk of your offense not available. Then, Spathe's replacement goes down, Johnson ( again, don't laugh,) who was doing well as a blocking TE.

The Velasco signing was huge, and he played well above expectations, but still, the main issue was the perimeter blocking provided by Paulson and Palmer was pathetic. Since the defenses did have to worry so much about the outside runs, they pressured pass plays from the edge, an they could stuff the middle on running plays.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the return of Spathe caused us to become a juggernaut, but it's not a coincident that Bell's rushing totals went up dramatically when Spathe was inserted into the line up.

As for Haley, say what you want, but under the circumstances, I think he had a great year.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
pczach (01-07-2014)