Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #101
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach
 
BLACK_AND_YELLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18312
Thanks: 770
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,035 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
2014 NFL Mock Draft: Another vote for Louis Nix III

By Neal Coolong on Jan 6 2014



What is the value of today's nose tackle? Many expect the Steelers to value it highly enough to use the 15th overall pick in the draft on it.

Does the thought of drafting what's essentially become a two-down player in today's NFL scare you?

If the answer is yes, do not read any further.

NFL Draft Geek has mocked Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix III to the Steelers with the 15th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Let the controversy ensue.

Fact: The Steelers had the 21st ranked rush defense in the NFL in the 2014 season. Fact: The Steelers have seen their nickel back on the field on at least twice as many snaps as their nose tackle over the last five years, at least.

Drafting a player who simply doesn't play often (base defenses are currently undergoing a redefinition across the league) at the 15th overall spot could be seen by some as detrimental to the idea of growth, not to mention Steve McLendon fits more of the mold of a guy who could be on the field more than two downs - just not at the nose tackle position.

Nix appears to be an outstanding athlete, showing quickness not often seen in a player his size. But he won't have another position on the defensive line.

We'll leave it to you to debate on this glorious Mock Draft Monday. Is a nose tackle worth the 15th overall pick, considering the shoddy state of the Steelers' run defense, but knowing he would likely only play in the base defense on first and second downs, as well as short-yardage situations?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...lers-louis-nix
Fact: The Steelers had the 21st ranked rush defense in the NFL in the 2014 season. Fact: The Steelers have seen their nickel back on the field on at least twice as many snaps as their nose tackle over the last five years, at least.

Nix is in my mock draft because NT is still a need and I like him as a prospect but this is the reason why I doubt we take him, one of the reasons why we was the 21st ranked rush defense is because of poor tackling with the LBs(Vince was a rookie of course so he didn't help) and Safety's early in the season. Which makes a case for us drafting CJ Mosley. Him and Timmons would make a great LB tandem and also with the potential of Jarvis with Woodley(if healthy) or Worilds our defense could start looking "elite" again.
__________________
“Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” - Michael Jordan
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #102
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter
 
Hawaii 5-0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Aloha State
Posts: 9,047
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24013
Thanks: 7,957
Thanked 10,480 Times in 4,476 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan77 View Post
You'd think when you have the worst rush defense in the league you'd want a run stuffer. Hi Nix.
we were 21st in the league against the run but your point is well taken...
__________________
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #103
kwpit79
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 18
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16028
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan77 View Post
I was being somewhat sarcastic, sorry. Point of that post, which I figured wouldn't get a response, was to basically say I care who the steelers take but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what I say, discuss or get in pickles about with yinz on a chat forum. But, hell its fun.

Seriously though. Our defense this year with the Denver offense, hell we're 13-3.
Yeah, didn't mean to single you out. Just read that in a few publications the past couple of months and got me annoyed. I mean, sure, defenses aren't as important today as they were from 1922-2000, but if you look at the top teams in terms of yards gained vs. yards allowed: 6 of the top 10 teams who rank in yards allowed are still in the playoffs going into the divisional round. Only 4 of the top 10 offenses are. That doesn't prove anything, just thought it was worth noting.
kwpit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwpit79 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #104
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,805
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 111
Thanked 574 Times in 319 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Nix is in my mock draft because NT is still a need and I like him as a prospect but this is the reason why I doubt we take him, one of the reasons why we was the 21st ranked rush defense is because of poor tackling with the LBs(Vince was a rookie of course so he didn't help) and Safety's early in the season. Which makes a case for us drafting CJ Mosley. Him and Timmons would make a great LB tandem and also with the potential of Jarvis with Woodley(if healthy) or Worilds our defense could start looking "elite" again.
Exactly how I think of it, I think Foote was the biggest loss this season with his ability to stop the run. I think Woods McClendon and Heyward can be our DL if we can replace Foote with someone as effective. This is the bigges ? for our off season to me. Can we replace Foote with either Spence, Williams or a FA to be as effective at stopping the run?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #105
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,612
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 18,090
Thanked 19,186 Times in 8,096 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Draft pick #15

In order to get your defense off of the field, you gotta get teams in third & long.

Nix gets you to third & long.

Too many times, opposing offenses were getting "easily converted" yardage on third downs (third-&-short). Winning on first & second down, gets you to third & long... and then, in turn, off of the field.

So, Yes, a two-down player is worth the 15th pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), PhantomJB93 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #106
Sharkissle29
Team President
 
Sharkissle29's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,188
Gender: Male
Member Number: 910
Thanks: 226
Thanked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
Fact: The Steelers had the 21st ranked rush defense in the NFL in the 2014 season. Fact: The Steelers have seen their nickel back on the field on at least twice as many snaps as their nose tackle over the last five years, at least.

Nix is in my mock draft because NT is still a need and I like him as a prospect but this is the reason why I doubt we take him, one of the reasons why we was the 21st ranked rush defense is because of poor tackling with the LBs(Vince was a rookie of course so he didn't help) and Safety's early in the season. Which makes a case for us drafting CJ Mosley. Him and Timmons would make a great LB tandem and also with the potential of Jarvis with Woodley(if healthy) or Worilds our defense could start looking "elite" again.
As you mentioned, we weren't necessarily ranked 21st in run defense because there were gaping holes. We mostly missed a LOT of tackles (LB and primarily safety's).

Although I do like Williams, I think Mosley is the long term solution. My vote is Mosley or Dennard with the15th pick.
__________________
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkissle29 For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-06-2014), harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #107
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach
 
BLACK_AND_YELLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18312
Thanks: 770
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,035 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkissle29 View Post
As you mentioned, we weren't necessarily ranked 21st in run defense because there were gaping holes. We mostly missed a LOT of tackles (LB and primarily safety's).

Although I do like Williams, I think Mosley is the long term solution. My vote is Mosley or Dennard with the15th pick.
I doubt we go corner in the first. Our team has always been about great linebackers and we only have 1 great LB at this "moment" in Timmons(Jarvis is next) so if Mosley is there I believe he could be the pick.
__________________
“Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” - Michael Jordan
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
Sharkissle29 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #108
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 92,597
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 1,032
Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,359 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
I doubt we go corner in the first. Our team has always been about great linebackers and we only have 1 great LB at this "moment" in Timmons(Jarvis is next) so if Mosley is there I believe he could be the pick.
You wouldn't hear me complain if Mosley's name is called at number 15.
__________________
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galax Steeler For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #109
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach
 
BLACK_AND_YELLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18312
Thanks: 770
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,035 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
You wouldn't hear me complain if Mosley's name is called at number 15.
Me neither. He has Steelers written all over him
__________________
“Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” - Michael Jordan
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
Galax Steeler (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #110
cbrunn
Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 632
Member Number: 23984
Thanks: 116
Thanked 265 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Dennard or Ifo have Steelers written all over them

Williams, Garvin , or Spence can fill in fine for LB... 2 were rookies , so they will get better , and Spence well is like this myth we've been waiting for
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrunn For This Useful Post:
teegre (01-06-2014)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts