Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #131
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,627 Times in 3,923 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Draft pick #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
who in the F**K names there kid Kelvin?? And my apologies to anyone on this board who did!

this should be what the t-shirt says!
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #132
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

at pick number 15 in the 2014 nfl draft....the steelers pick.....

1. Louis Nix- NT- Notre Dame- immediate need and day 1 starter.
2. Stephon Tuitt- DE- Notre Dame- i like Ra Shede Hageman too...but Tuitt's stats dont lie!!!
3. Khalil Mack- OLB- Buffalo- Forget Clowney....he is off the board!!! A posible need if Worlids leaves for FA.
4. C.J. Mosley- ILB- Alabama- This pick means the Steelers gave up on Spence and Williams.
5. Justin Gilbert- CB- Oklahoma St.- Drafting Ikes future replacement isnt a bad idea!
6. Haha Clinton-Dix- S- Alabama- Clark is gone! Troy has a couple years! Draft this kid and let him and shark duel it out!!!

These are all the realistic defensive picks the steelers will be looking at with pick 15!!!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #133
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Found this off a ny giants website comparing the top to corners this year.
http://www.giants101.com/2014/01/06/...ustin-gilbert/

both guys will be on our radar like the giants....so take your pick

Coverage Skills:

Gilbert and Dennard come from two drastically different schemes but both excel in man coverage. At Michigan State, cornerbacks were left one on one with wide receivers on the outside with no safety help at all over the top. Given how he had to play in college, Dennard is probably the more likely of the two to develop into a true shutdown corner. Gilbert has experience playing in both man and zone coverage, and faced better receivers this year than Dennard did. Gilbert played on outstanding game in the Cotton Bowl, where Missouri's three top wide receivers all measured over 6'5". Gilbert did a great job on Dorial Green-Beckham, one of the elite wide receivers in college this year, while spending most of the night on an island. Where Gilbert has an advantage over Dennard is that Dennard does not have the elite speed that Gilbert has, so Dennard will have trouble recovering if he does get beat by a faster receiver. Overall, Dennard's skills are more polished, and has a slight advantage in this area.

Edge: Dennard

Run Support:

Both players are also excellent in run support, and Dennard did a great job against Stanford in the Rose Bowl. He seemed to be in the middle of every running play, which was a good sign for NFL scouts. Gilbert's bigger frame will probably help him adjust better to NFL running games, until at least Dennard puts on some more weight. Both players shed their blocks well and know how to wrap up and finish a tackle. Dennard and Gilbert seem to be pretty equal in run support.

Edge: Push

Ball Skills:

Dennard had limited opportunities to make interceptions, as quarterbacks did their best to avoid him in his great career at Michigan State. Dennard has an exceptional feel for knowing when to turn and make a play on the ball. However, he doesn't have the elite athleticism to make the tough interceptions or the strength at the moment to win most one on one balls at the NFL level. Much like Dennard, Gilbert also has a great feel for turning and making a play on the ball. Where Gilbert has the edge on Dennard is that his elite athleticism and strength for a corner will help him in one on one jump ball situations. His hands wouldn't be considered elite, but his top end speed will help turn his interceptions into big plays and possible scores.

Edge: Gilbert

Instincts:

Both players posses great instincts, but Dennard has a clear edge in this area. Gilbert is great at anticipating plays, however he gambles a lot and that can get taken advantage of on double moves at the next level. Dennard rarely finds himself out of position and doesn't fall victim to the double move.

Edge: Dennard

Intangibles:

Dennard had issues with injuries at Michigan State (shoulder in 2012, concussion and ankle in 2011, knee surgery in 2010), which is always a concern. Gilbert stayed healthy his whole career, never missing a game. Gilbert's height and weight is ideal for the NFL (6', 200 pounds) and has longer than average arms for the position. His elite speed gives him the edge here, as he will end up clocking in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 range.

Edge: Gilbert

Conclusion:

The New York Giants really can't go wrong picking either guy. Gilbert probably fits Fewell's system better, as Dennard has played little to no zone coverage in his career. There is a chance Dennard could end up like Revis did in Tampa Bay, but if the Deoin Sanders comparison is correct it would be worth Fewell adjusting the system. Gilbert's playmaking ability in the a secondary with Antrell Rolle and Will Hill could make the secondary extremely dangerous. At the moment, there really is no right or wrong choice between the two, so we will see how they perform at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine.

The Pick: Inconclusive
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014), pczach (01-09-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #134
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,387 Times in 4,786 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers select Darqueze Dennard

By Neal Coolong on Jan 9 2014

Dennard draws comparisons to Troy Polamalu in Sports Illustrated's most recent draft projection, making it today's featured Mock Draft.

Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke sees some Troy Polamalu in Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard.

It was enough to make Dennard the Steelers' pick at No. 15 in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Burke writes:

Imagine Troy Polamalu as a cornerback. That’s not an across-the-board comparison, but Dennard brings a lot of those Polamalu traits to the field. Namely, he plays with an edge, a trait highlighted in how aggressively he dives down to pitch in against the run. Pittsburgh’s corners were putrid at times in 2013, so the value of finding Dennard all the way down at 15 would be a godsend.

That seems a tad extreme. Or perhaps Burke is suggesting Dennard as safety coverage skills, and that's the level of play Dennard would bring as a cornerback.

Dennard is a physical player, which is a requirement for a Steelers cornerback, and the current question of depth at the position is a fair and valid one - they almost certainly have to get at least one cornerback in this draft, and may peck around in free agency as well.

The question will be whether the sum of his whole is worth the 15th pick in the draft.

Odds are good we'll be hearing Dennard's name linked with the Steelers in the coming months.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...michigan-state
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), EbonySteel86 (01-10-2014), Galax Steeler (01-10-2014), harrison'samonster (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #135
Joelbushbaum
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25082
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Looks like we're locked into the 15th pick next year, unless Goodell takes it away from us. Decent spot to draft.
I like Evans, and Barr.
Joelbushbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joelbushbaum For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #136
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

OK, I'm a little late to the shenanigans.

How about "Dix plays hard!" or "Dix picks!"?

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-10-2014), teegre (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #137
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
OK, I'm a little late to the shenanigans.

How about "Dix plays hard!" or "Dix picks!"?
I'll play too. "Dix stuck out" or "Dix really extended"
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), harrison'samonster (01-10-2014), teegre (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #138
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

dix is gonna smash you in the mouth
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), Galax Steeler (01-10-2014), teegre (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #140
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Victory makes Dix happy!
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), teegre (01-11-2014)