Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,370 Times in 2,088 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Steelers' Tomlin doesn't address possible staff changes

Steelers' Tomlin doesn't address possible staff changes
By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, Dec. 30, 2013, 1:51 p.m.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't say Monday if he expects any coaching staff changes in 2014.

Tomlin also declined to say that offensive coordinator Todd Haley and/or defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau would return, but there has been no signal from ownership that any changes are being considered.

Both Haley and LeBeau said they want to return next season.

Often, Tomlin uses his season-ending news conference to endorse the return of his assistant coaches. He did that following the 2011 season, only to have former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians be pushed out of his job by ownership a few days later.

So, this time, Tomlin said only that he has yet to discuss such off-season issues with owners Dan and Art Rooney II and general manager Kevin Colbert.

“I'm not getting into that,” he said. “I won't address any personnel or staff issues. I will at some point. I acknowledge that change is a part of football, in staff and players.”

He also wouldn't confirm there is a plan in place for linebackers coach Keith Butler to replace the 76-year-old LeBeau as defensive coordinator.

Tomlin also wouldn't discuss any possible personnel changes, of which there are expected to be many. The Steelers have 18 free agents — or about one-third of their roster — and the roster likely will undergo a significant overhaul.

The Steelers (8-8) nearly sneaked into the playoffs — they have never made the postseason with such a record — by winning their final three games, but the Chargers held off the Chiefs, 27-24, Sunday in overtime. The Chiefs' Ryan Succop missed a 41-yard field goal try with eight seconds remaining that would have won it and sent the Steelers to play a wild-card game in Cincinnati.

Tomlin obviously was disappointed with that result — “What do you think?” he said — but he added, “I'm not going to lose sleep over something that happened in a stadium we weren't even in.”

Tomlin also said:

• Cornerback Curtis Brown will have ACL surgery Friday. He first needed his injured MCL to heal. There is no procedure scheduled for linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf), who missed the final three games. Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ribs) and nose tackle Steve McLendon (high ankle sprain) were reinjured Sunday in the 20-7 victory over the Browns.

• That, after going 8-8 for the second season in a row, “Our record speaks for itself. … We didn't do enough to state our case (to make the playoffs).”

• Despite being disappointed with the season, he has enormous respect for his players for fighting back from the 0-4 start to go 6-2 in the second half of the season and 8-4 in the final three-fourths of the season.

“There are plenty of things to be proud of, plenty of things that need work,” he said.

• The offense didn't necessarily end the season ahead of the defense; he pointed to the defense's No. 13 rating — down from No. 1 last season — and the offense's No. 20 rating.

• He intends to “roll his sleeves up” and offer suggestions as a member of the competition committee to improve the NFL's rules. He is in his first year on the committee, which determines many of the league's rules and policies.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2ozCGrr3w
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
fer522 (12-30-2013), harrison'samonster (12-30-2013), pczach (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Confounding Factor
Team Captain

Member Number: 25099
My Mood: Worried
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin doesn't address possible staff changes

The only thing I wonder is all the vacancies in HC across the league if Haley would consider leaving. Not that I want him too.

2014 I have marked as the last year for LeBeau.
harrison'samonster (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,370 Times in 2,088 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounding Factor View Post
The only thing I wonder is all the vacancies in HC across the league if Haley would consider leaving.
I was wondering the same thing. Think anyone would want him?
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Lurking

I'd love to see Whisenhunt back in Pittsburgh,honestly I think that
Whisenhunt should have gotten the Head Coaching job instead of Tomlin but that ancient history now. Colbert said himself at the end of the season pressed that it would be ignorant to change nothing and expect differant results....well guess what Colbert
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Daddymac10
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25201

If we're gonna move on from these hasbeens, it's a given that Haley and Lebeau have to go. Why can't our running back ever get a lead blocker in the backfield?? Is it too much to ask for?? Our fullback always lineup on the line. Our offensive formations is too predictable. By the formation, I can predict what pass we gonna throw ...unacceptable. It's time for Lebeau to retire already ..enough is enough
Daddymac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I'd love to see Whisenhunt back in Pittsburgh,honestly I think that
Whisenhunt should have gotten the Head Coaching job instead of Tomlin but that ancient history now. Colbert said himself at the end of the season pressed that it would be ignorant to change nothing and expect differant results....well guess what Colbert
I found it odd and ignorant that the Steelers front office flat out told Whisenhunt that he wasn't going to be considered as a candidate and if he gets an offer he should go. What was their problem with him?

And remember Ron Rivera? A great defensive mind that was supposed to be in the running for Steelers hc but had his interview canceled. Probably after Tomlin gave his "used car salesman" spiel to the Rooneys to secure the job.

So essentially the job was between Tomlin and Russ Grimm (but not really let's be honest). Wow quite the exhaustive search.
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverPoop View Post
I found it odd and ignorant that the Steelers front office flat out told Whisenhunt that he wasn't going to be considered as a candidate and if he gets an offer he should go. What was their problem with him?

And remember Ron Rivera? A great defensive mind that was supposed to be in the running for Steelers hc but had his interview canceled. Probably after Tomlin gave his "used car salesman" spiel to the Rooneys to secure the job.

So essentially the job was between Tomlin and Russ Grimm (but not really let's be honest). Wow quite the exhaustive search.
Tomlin is a confident speaker and he dances around a lot of issues in pressers,I don't expect the guy to come out and say Haley's job isn't safe. Colbert and the Rooneys have found themselves in a bad position, aging defensive players and young players that have been drafted in the last 4-5 years and either are Busts or are developing too slowly to take over for the guys retiring.Who knows what might have happened had the Rooneys given Whisenhunt the HC job but I'd like to think it would be better than the current situation especially now that the Steelers could lose draft pick(s) due to an obvious poor decision on Tomlin part
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,043 Times in 8,038 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Tomlin is a confident speaker and he dances around a lot of issues in pressers,I don't expect the guy to come out and say Haley's job isn't safe. Colbert and the Rooneys have found themselves in a bad position, aging defensive players and young players that have been drafted in the last 4-5 years and either are Busts or are developing too slowly to take over for the guys retiring.Who knows what might have happened had the Rooneys given Whisenhunt the HC job but I'd like to think it would be better than the current situation especially now that the Steelers could lose draft pick(s) due to an obvious poor decision on Tomlin part
Likewise, if the Steelers had hired Ron Rivera, they'd have eight Lombardis... and JJ Watt, Megatron, & AP.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (12-31-2013), CanuckCurtain (12-31-2013), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,415 Times in 940 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Likewise, if the Steelers had hired Ron Rivera, they'd have eight Lombardis... and JJ Watt, Megatron, & AP.
And they would all sign for vet minimum.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
CanuckCurtain (12-31-2013), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (12-31-2013), teegre (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,331 Times in 4,413 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
obviously...