Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin doesn't address possible staff changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Likewise, if the Steelers had hired Ron Rivera, they'd have eight Lombardis... and JJ Watt, Megatron, & AP.
Did I say that things would have turned out better with Rivera? No I have no clue what would have happened. But the Steelers sure as hell didn't conduct a thorough head coach search with technically just two candidates.
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,095 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac10 View Post
If we're gonna move on from these hasbeens, it's a given that Haley and Lebeau have to go. Why can't our running back ever get a lead blocker in the backfield?? Is it too much to ask for?? Our fullback always lineup on the line. Our offensive formations is too predictable. By the formation, I can predict what pass we gonna throw ...unacceptable. It's time for Lebeau to retire already ..enough is enough
Anyone who questions Lebeau knows nothing about football, plain and simple. The guy had injures to deal with all season and on top of that he had to play rookies in his linebacker rotation because of those injuries. The defensive line, and the linebacking corps was in a constant shuffle due to injuries off an on throughout the season. There's NOTHING wrong with the schemes. Lebeau has proven his system works a thousand times over. You have to have the personnel and the talent to execute it. When you lose dominant guys like James Harrison, and guys like Woodley who were dominant in the past almost disappear into mediocrity well what in the fuck is Lebeau supposed to do about that?

Yeah let's get rid of our Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator so we can switch to some unproven new guy that will install a new system that our players will have to learn and it'll actually serve to set our team back rather than to move them forward. Sounds like a great idea to me.

IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Black Gold (12-31-2013), emarines (12-31-2013), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Lady Steel (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,384 Times in 8,509 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverPoop View Post
Did I say that things would have turned out better with Rivera? No I have no clue what would have happened. But the Steelers sure as hell didn't conduct a thorough head coach search with technically just two candidates.
You didn't say anything about Rivera... I did.

I was just making obvious speculations, akin to the obviousness of how much better this team would be with Whiz at the helm.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
AgentGold007 (12-31-2013), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Personally, I think Tomlin has done an really good job this year of being the head coach of this team. Yeah, I know there were times when we all feel he made bad decisions on the field, clock management, etc.. but, you have to admit, when the team was 2-6, he had his work cut out for him. Anyone could have been a great coach on those 2008 & 2010 clubs but to be able to coach a club that is clearly in a big transition as the Steelers are in, especially on the D side of the ball, with all the young guys coming in, with the adversity of starting 0-4, then 2-6, I thought he did a great job of being the head coach. He kept this team together with all the obstacles facing them and we were a blown call, inches on the sidelines(AB vs. Miami) away from making it in the playoffs. Had we made it, I think we would have beaten Cinci in their house. Then at that point, it's a crap-shoot. All-in-all, I think Tomlin did a great job of being the head coach of this team. I also think he was right in not addressing the staff changes at this time. This is what I love about the Steelers. They don't panic and make rash decisions based on emotions(see the browns). When you are making tough decisions, you need time to review all that was done this season by all coaches and then make the decisions. That's my two cents at least.
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

Just say no to Keith Butler, please.

Replacing Dick Lebeau with Dick Lebeau, Jr. isn't going to fix anything.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Who knows what might have happened had the Rooneys given Whisenhunt the HC job but I'd like to think it would be better than the current situation especially now that the Steelers could lose draft pick(s) due to an obvious poor decision on Tomlin part
Based on his stellar 45-51 record in the desert, no doubt. Besides, whose throwaways would he have spent six seasons picking up if he had stayed and became HC in Pittsburgh?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), teegre (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
I found it odd and ignorant that the Steelers front office flat out told Whisenhunt that he wasn't going to be considered as a candidate and if he gets an offer he should go.
Since when?

The fact is, Whisenhunt had already missed out on one HC opportunity waiting on the Rooneys, and he apparently wasn't willing to take the chance of missing out on another:

Quote:
January 9, 2007

...Whisenhunt may have lost out on the head coaching job in his hometown of Atlanta when the Falcons hired Louisville coach Bobby Petrino yesterday. Whisenhunt, sources said, told the Falcons he wanted to wait to be interviewed by the Steelers and see what they would do before he could commit to another job. The Falcons either did not want to wait or were unwilling to have an appearance that they were settling for a second choice.

Grimm and Whisenhunt also are candidates for the Arizona Cardinals coaching job. Grimm will head to Arizona today.
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers...s/200701090204

Whisenhunt accepted the Cardinals' offer on January 15, 2007. Tomlin wasn't announced as Steelers HC until January 22nd.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
AgentGold007 (12-31-2013), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), teegre (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,947 Times in 3,404 Posts

Quote:
I found it odd and ignorant that the Steelers front office flat out told Whisenhunt that he wasn't going to be considered as a candidate and if he gets an offer he should go. What was their problem with him?

And remember Ron Rivera? A great defensive mind that was supposed to be in the running for Steelers hc but had his interview canceled. Probably after Tomlin gave his "used car salesman" spiel to the Rooneys to secure the job.

So essentially the job was between Tomlin and Russ Grimm (but not really let's be honest). Wow quite the exhaustive search.
maybe you are too young to remember, but that is not how it went down at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Think anyone would want him?
Maybe Penn State or some other college will give him a call
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AgentGold007 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Lady Steel (01-01-2014)