Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default I don't know what to think about Tomlin

I've been pretty vocal about my displeasure with Mike Tomlin and the sloppiness of his teams. The fact that we have under performed with a great QB IMO falls squarely on Mike Tomlin's shoulders. Sure we've had some personnel issues, some injuries, and maybe a bad bounce here or there..(or officials knocking us out of the playoffs) but I think we've had consistent issues that can only be blamed on the HC.

#1 We are all too often unprepared on game day. How does that happen with an experienced coaching staff and experienced leaders on the field? How many times have we beat a team that is better then us in the last 2 years? It doesn't happen.

#2 we lose to teams that have half the talent....losing to teams that you have no business losing to might happen on a bad day once every few years... not 2-3 times per season...often in must win situations... what I call a classic case of being out coached.

#3 Sloppy play... execution seems to be an issue...especially on the offensive line. WHY? Since Tomlin's been here he has shuffled players in an out on the 0-line during pre-season and during the season... not only when there's injuries. He does not let the O-line get settled in... to me it's indecisiveness that has caused alot of issues on this line over the years...just as much as injuries.

#4 personnel issues on defense has clearly been an issue this year. Don't know who's fault that is... I suspect it's the front office...not necessarily Tomlin. We did not have good replacements for Hampton or Farrior... we did not have the usual depth at LB and we're waiting for someone to step up and be that stud we usually have.

I was ready to fire Tomlin at the 2-6 mark... the fact that we finished 8-8 really surprises me. I have to acknowledge the fact that he did not lose this team and some how rallied the players to a 6-2 finish... that is impressive to me. Part of it IMO appears to be the play calling... it seemed like they finally just let Ben run the offense...Haley's offense...but Ben's production went way up when he started calling more plays... along with that the entire offense started playing better.

Because of the finish I'm cool with keeping the coaching staff in tact.... I think we are primed for a big year next year... We have issues ...but we still played as well as anyone in the 2nd half... If we can build on that next year (early) I see us going deep in the playoffs... reminds me of Cowhers' last season ALOT. If Tomlin can't win a playoff game next year then he has to be fired. There are no more excuses.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
Cyphon (12-30-2013), stb_steeler (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: I don't know what to think about Tomlin

Lets see what next season brings. We should be able to see if the team improves or takes a dive. On a good note we seemed to get better as the running game progressed and Ben got more protection, but it was alittle to late. Heres to next season coming out on a high note!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stb_steeler For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-01-2014), harrison'samonster (12-30-2013), Lady Steel (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
steelersfan77
Starter

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I've been pretty vocal about my displeasure with Mike Tomlin and the sloppiness of his teams. The fact that we have under performed with a great QB IMO falls squarely on Mike Tomlin's shoulders. Sure we've had some personnel issues, some injuries, and maybe a bad bounce here or there..(or officials knocking us out of the playoffs) but I think we've had consistent issues that can only be blamed on the HC.

#1 We are all too often unprepared on game day. How does that happen with an experienced coaching staff and experienced leaders on the field? How many times have we beat a team that is better then us in the last 2 years? It doesn't happen.

#2 we lose to teams that have half the talent....losing to teams that you have no business losing to might happen on a bad day once every few years... not 2-3 times per season...often in must win situations... what I call a classic case of being out coached.

#3 Sloppy play... execution seems to be an issue...especially on the offensive line. WHY? Since Tomlin's been here he has shuffled players in an out on the 0-line during pre-season and during the season... not only when there's injuries. He does not let the O-line get settled in... to me it's indecisiveness that has caused alot of issues on this line over the years...just as much as injuries.

#4 personnel issues on defense has clearly been an issue this year. Don't know who's fault that is... I suspect it's the front office...not necessarily Tomlin. We did not have good replacements for Hampton or Farrior... we did not have the usual depth at LB and we're waiting for someone to step up and be that stud we usually have.

I was ready to fire Tomlin at the 2-6 mark... the fact that we finished 8-8 really surprises me. I have to acknowledge the fact that he did not lose this team and some how rallied the players to a 6-2 finish... that is impressive to me. Part of it IMO appears to be the play calling... it seemed like they finally just let Ben run the offense...Haley's offense...but Ben's production went way up when he started calling more plays... along with that the entire offense started playing better.

Because of the finish I'm cool with keeping the coaching staff in tact.... I think we are primed for a big year next year... We have issues ...but we still played as well as anyone in the 2nd half... If we can build on that next year (early) I see us going deep in the playoffs... reminds me of Cowhers' last season ALOT. If Tomlin can't win a playoff game next year then he has to be fired. There are no more excuses.
You make valid points. But...Mike Tomlin has never had a team where he lost the locker room or in the least it wasn't made known to the public.

The Rooney's don't fire head coaches. There would have to be multiple seasons of just ugly, like 3 in a row garage, Cleveland browns wipe your ass stains ugly for anyone to show Tomlin the door.

Noll and Cowher. They both had rough seasons, sometimes multiple seasons in a row where expectations were never met and their owners never wavered.

Committed.

Many successful seasons have already been accomplished by Mike Tomlin. A super bowl victory and another appearance to boot. He gets it done with dignity and honesty to everyone who crosses his path.

Back to back 8-8 seasons. I've seen worse.

Don't ask this organization to be like the other organizations in the league. You're a fan of the one that stands alone.
steelersfan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to steelersfan77 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-01-2014), AgentGold007 (01-01-2014), austinfrench76 (01-01-2014), Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), EbonySteel86 (01-01-2014), FanSince72 (01-01-2014), harrison'samonster (12-30-2013), IowaSteeler927 (01-01-2014), Jbute162 (01-03-2014), JVip (12-31-2013), Lady Steel (12-30-2013), lipps83 (01-03-2014), pczach (01-01-2014), Steelerindc (01-04-2014), Steelers>NFL (12-30-2013), The_Joker (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan77 View Post
You make valid points. But...Mike Tomlin has never had a team where he lost the locker room or in the least it wasn't made known to the public.

The Rooney's don't fire head coaches. There would have to be multiple seasons of just ugly, like 3 in a row garage, Cleveland browns wipe your ass stains ugly for anyone to show Tomlin the door.

Noll and Cowher. They both had rough seasons, sometimes multiple seasons in a row where expectations were never met and their owners never wavered.

Committed.

Many successful seasons have already been accomplished by Mike Tomlin. A super bowl victory and another appearance to boot. He gets it done with dignity and honesty to everyone who crosses his path.

Back to back 8-8 seasons. I've seen worse.

Don't ask this organization to be like the other organizations in the league. You're a fan of the one that stands alone.
My issue with Tomlin comes down to the fact that I do not believe we have 8-8 talent on this team. When you have a franchise QB...and he's healthy...there's really no reason to have 3 seasons in a row with out winning a single playoff game. For 3 years now the issues have been mostly on offense... (that 0-4 start was mostly offensive issues) now this year our defense is not what we are used to seeing.

We're a little bit like the Lions the past 3 seasons.... way too many offensive weapons to not make the playoffs.... IMO a good coach puts us in the playoffs. Just look at the Chiefs... I'd take most of our players over the chiefs players any day. Look at the teams in the playoffs... how many of them have better QB's then us? Denver, NE, Greenbay come to mind.

A better question might be " how many teams NOT in the playoffs have elite QB's?" Eli Manning maybe? The only team I see is the steelers...and that's the case for 2 seasons...and lets not forget the disaster that was losing to the Tebow lead Broncos. In my mind Tomlin has had 3 bad seasons in a row...not 2. Also please tell me how many games has Tomlin won when he's not favored? I'd love to see us beat a team by out coaching them... right now we win because of big plays from Ben and our WR's... and occasional big plays from our defense. How many games has Tomlin lost in the last 2 years were we were HEAVILY favored? I gotta think it's more then most coaches in the league...a lot more.

What surprises me is the last 8 games.... going 6-2 after that start is a good thing..so MAYBE Tomlin finally gets it? Maybe Tomlin knows how to turn this team around... I think we'll find out next season... if we don't win a playoff game next year how can you defend not winning a single playoff game in 4 seasons with Ben as our QB? I gotta believe Tomlin is gone next year if we don't make the playoffs.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

71-41 record.

That is all.
harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Lady Steel (01-01-2014), lipps83 (01-03-2014), pczach (01-01-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

As much as im against firing a good coach I would have to consider it if we missed playoffs again next season. That would be three in a row and that should never happen when you have a QB like Ben.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Valid points......If we dont get another Super Bowl with Ben then I'll consider that a bit of a disappointment maybe not squarely placed on Tomlin though.

Liked what I saw toward the end of the year and gives me hope but people shouldnt be made to feel guilty around here for wanting something more. As the OP pointed out, this wasnt just a 1 season type thing and all the sudden everyone is b***ing. Theyve gotten worse every year since SB 45.....and the "We're the Steelers everything will work out" mentality has kept them blinded.

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,434 Times in 4,685 Posts

Our team is in a state of transition right now. The offense seems to have gotten it together while the defense is lagging behind. I've seen people crucify Tomlin for the offensive and defensive struggles, but get absolutely no credit when they're both working. People choose to look at the 0-4 and completely forget the 6-2 when this team got healthy and was able to build some chemistry.

Being a head coach in the NFL is a fickle thing.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Lady Steel (01-01-2014), lipps83 (01-03-2014), steelersfan77 (01-01-2014), steelfury02 (01-02-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,514 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

wins

jets 8-8
Bills 6-10
lions 7-9
browns 4-12
ravens 8-8 split
bengals 11-5 split
packers 8-7-1

Steelers beat only one team this season with a winning record

losses

titans 7-9
bears 8-8
Vikings 5-10-1
raiders 4-12
patriots 12-4
dolphins 8-8

and the Steelers played only two teams this season who ended up with a winning record.

imo the Steelers were playing better football at the half way point onwards.

I'm still waiting on till after 2015 season the old will be gone and most of pushed the money into future will be corrected.

can't blame all on Tomlin the front office didn't manage the salary cap very well the last five or so years. or the Steelers could be more cut throat with the players like the Patriots.
PeckerWood is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Lady Steel (01-01-2014), SteelMusic (01-03-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,061 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
We're a little bit like the Lions the past 3 seasons.... way too many offensive weapons to not make the playoffs.... IMO a good coach puts us in the playoffs.
Who, besides Ben, has been an elite offensive player for more than one season? Maybe Heath, but even he isn't considered to be one of the top 5 NFL tight ends. Pouncey is the next option, but he can't stay on the field.

Quote:
Also please tell me how many games has Tomlin won when he's not favored?
In games where Steelers are not favored
2007: 0-2 (including playoffs)
2008: 4-1
2009: 0-1
2010: 3-2 (including SB XLV)
2011: 1-3
2012: 3-2
2013: 5-4
Total: 16-15

So Tomlin's teams win over half of the games they are supposed to lose. That's pretty good.

Quote:
I'd love to see us beat a team by out coaching them... right now we win because of big plays from Ben and our WR's... and occasional big plays from our defense. How many games has Tomlin lost in the last 2 years were we were HEAVILY favored?
In games where Steelers are favored by 7+ points
2007: 6-1
2008: 3-0
2009: 2-3
2010: 5-0
2011: 8-1 (including playoffs)
2012: 2-1
2013: 1-0
Total: 27-6

That's a 0.818 winning percentage. Also pretty good.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Neil-Still-Rules-14 For This Useful Post:
Black Gold (01-01-2014), Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), JeromeBetties63 (01-01-2014), ricardisimo (01-02-2014), SteelersCanada (01-01-2014), SteelMusic (01-03-2014), The_Joker (12-31-2013), zcoop (01-01-2014)