Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,968 Times in 3,713 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: I don't know what to think about Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
Who, besides Ben, has been an elite offensive player for more than one season? Maybe Heath, but even he isn't considered to be one of the top 5 NFL tight ends. Pouncey is the next option, but he can't stay on the field.

In games where Steelers are not favored
2007: 0-2 (including playoffs)
2008: 4-1
2009: 0-1
2010: 3-2 (including SB XLV)
2011: 1-3
2012: 3-2
2013: 5-4
Total: 16-15

So Tomlin's teams win over half of the games they are supposed to lose. That's pretty good.

In games where Steelers are favored by 7+ points
2007: 6-1
2008: 3-0
2009: 2-3
2010: 5-0
2011: 8-1 (including playoffs)
2012: 2-1
2013: 1-0
Total: 27-6

That's a 0.818 winning percentage. Also pretty good.
wow, I'm going to keep this post in my pocket every where I go. And when somebody says something about Tomlin as a HC -- Bam!
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), JeromeBetties63 (01-01-2014), Lady Steel (01-01-2014), pczach (01-01-2014), zcoop (01-01-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,186 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
71-41 record.

That is all.
But most of his wins were in his early seasons where he had Cowher's players.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (01-01-2014), Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), fer522 (12-31-2013), harrison'samonster (12-31-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (12-31-2013), Jbute162 (01-03-2014), Lady Steel (01-01-2014), pczach (01-01-2014), SteelersCanada (01-01-2014), steelersfan77 (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,116 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan77 View Post
You make valid points. But...Mike Tomlin has never had a team where he lost the locker room or in the least it wasn't made known to the public.

The Rooney's don't fire head coaches. There would have to be multiple seasons of just ugly, like 3 in a row garage, Cleveland browns wipe your ass stains ugly for anyone to show Tomlin the door.

Noll and Cowher. They both had rough seasons, sometimes multiple seasons in a row where expectations were never met and their owners never wavered.

Committed.

Many successful seasons have already been accomplished by Mike Tomlin. A super bowl victory and another appearance to boot. He gets it done with dignity and honesty to everyone who crosses his path.

Back to back 8-8 seasons. I've seen worse.

Don't ask this organization to be like the other organizations in the league. You're a fan of the one that stands alone.
Couldn't of written that better myself!
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-01-2014), steelersfan77 (01-01-2014), steelfury02 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #14
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

I was ready to fire Tomlin at the 2-6 mark... the fact that we finished 8-8 really surprises me. I have to acknowledge the fact that he did not lose this team and some how rallied the players to a 6-2 finish... that is impressive to me. Part of it IMO appears to be the play calling... it seemed like they finally just let Ben run the offense...Haley's offense...but Ben's production went way up when he started calling more plays... along with that the entire offense started playing better.

Because of the finish I'm cool with keeping the coaching staff in tact.... I think we are primed for a big year next year... We have issues ...but we still played as well as anyone in the 2nd half... If we can build on that next year (early) I see us going deep in the playoffs... reminds me of Cowhers' last season ALOT. If Tomlin can't win a playoff game next year then he has to be fired. There are no more excuses.[/QUOTE]

Hmm! Its not like your opinion or mine really holds any weight as to what will really happen with the Coach. But one thing is definitely certain, the Steelers aren't a Knee-Jerk Organization, they don't respond fan talk nor media talk. They will do what is in the best interest of their organization. I'm grateful for the Rooney's, I love my Steelers, I have been following them since 1974. Before any of you make your final decision as what should be done, here is an interesting statistic of the three coaches the Steelers have had since 1969. Through each coach first seven seasons, this is the record each of them posted:

Mike Tomlin (71-41) (5-3 in the playoffs) (1-1 in the Superbowl)
B. Cowher 71-41, 5-6, 0-1
Chuck Noll - 55-42, 9-2, 2-0

Now, think about that. Yes, I think Tomlin has done a piss poor A$$ Job of evaluating talent, I also think he should lose some of his power on draft day just like Bouchette said he would next May. But when you look at the record he has posted in his first seven seasons, he is right on track with the previous two coaches. Imagine if he had won that second SuperBowl. And for the record, Big Ben didn't play that well against Green Bay, his Offensive Line was more than adequate too. Todd Haley has helped turned his career around. Has anybody noticed that every since it was leaked out that the Steelers were considering trading Big Ben he has played exceptionally well? Make you wanna say Hmm!
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel95 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2014), Lady Steel (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #15
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,116 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I like Tomlin. He makes no excuses and takes responsibility for his mistakes. He's also brought us a ring and damned near got us a second one if it wasn't for Mendenhall forgetting the fundamentals of how to hold a football. Right now he's losing some veteran talent and he's coaching a team that's starting to transition to younger players. We as fans just need to let him have a chance to right the ship. Continuity is the reason why we have Six Lombardi Trophies sitting in our trophy case.

When you fire your coaches too often you end up like the Cleveland Browns where you fire coaches as a knee jerk reaction and it sets the team back again and again.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-01-2014), EbonySteel86 (01-01-2014), harrison'samonster (01-01-2014), Lady Steel (01-01-2014), pczach (01-01-2014), steelersfan77 (01-01-2014), The_Joker (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

I like the guy, and I wish I know more about what he was thinking at any given time, but what absolutely bothers me most is the fact that he could not even manage the clock during a round of Pictionary - it is obvious he has no clue about how to manage the one during an NFL game.

Oh yeah, and his stupid sayings:

"The Standard . . . ":
"It is what it is . . . . "
"I accept full responsibility...."

He does win, and is generally respected NFL circles.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twentyvalve For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I like Tomlin. He makes no excuses and takes responsibility for his mistakes. He's also brought us a ring and damned near got us a second one if it wasn't for Mendenhall forgetting the fundamentals of how to hold a football. Right now he's losing some veteran talent and he's coaching a team that's starting to transition to younger players. We as fans just need to let him have a chance to right the ship. Continuity is the reason why we have Six Lombardi Trophies sitting in our trophy case.

When you fire your coaches too often you end up like the Cleveland Browns where you fire coaches as a knee jerk reaction and it sets the team back again and again.
Exactly!!! Right now I'm sure Cleveland fans would give their left nut for a Rooney ran organization! We do it the right way, unlike, Cleveland, Detroit, Dallas, Washington, etc. Although the Bengals are learning! Lewis is still hanging in there.
EbonySteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2014), IowaSteeler927 (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #18
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post

It's pretty silly that people are still blaming the entire loss against GB against Mendenhall or act like he was being careless with the football even...he was holding the ball pretty securely, Matthews just squared him up and got his helmet on the ball perfectly, most running backs aren't going to be able to hold onto a hit like that...the beloved Jerome Bettis couldn't either and it nearly wiped out a Herculean effort by the team against Indianapolis in 2005 and most fans have seem to forgiven that...

Against GB Ben threw 2 INTs and missed a number of throws, the pass defense had no answer for Rogers or Jordy Nelson all day (the GB receivers were our best defense that day, dropping 4 or 5 crucial passes) but you're sure the only thing that stopped the team from winning that 60 minute football game was Rashard Mendenhall's alleged lapse of football fundamental on one play....O.K.ay...
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegrimey For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,995 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
It's pretty silly that people are still blaming the entire loss against GB against Mendenhall or act like he was being careless with the football even...he was holding the ball pretty securely, Matthews just squared him up and got his helmet on the ball perfectly, most running backs aren't going to be able to hold onto a hit like that...the beloved Jerome Bettis couldn't either and it nearly wiped out a Herculean effort by the team against Indianapolis in 2005 and most fans have seem to forgiven that...

Against GB Ben threw 2 INTs and missed a number of throws, the pass defense had no answer for Rogers or Jordy Nelson all day (the GB receivers were our best defense that day, dropping 4 or 5 crucial passes) but you're sure the only thing that stopped the team from winning that 60 minute football game was Rashard Mendenhall's alleged lapse of football fundamental on one play....O.K.ay...
It changed the momentum in that game completely. Up until that point in the second half, the Packers couldn't stop the offense. The defense was keeping Rodgers off the field in quick three and outs, and we were driving. Then, Mendenhall fumbled and the momentum went back into the Packers' favor. Was that the sole reason why we lost? Obviously not, but it was a big reason why the Packers were able to put us away.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2014), Lady Steel (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,968 Times in 3,713 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

both Legursky and David Johnson got beat so bad on that fumble play. Mendenhall took the hand-off and a split second later two Packers players made him into a Mendenhall sammich. The guy's helmet hit the ball and popped it out.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (01-02-2014)