Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,391 Times in 4,384 Posts
Default Re: Top Prospects at Positions of Need, Additional End of Season Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
Thanks Canada . I'm with u if Barr or Mack is there , how could they not be our BPA ? Anyway , I really don't care , if the Bpa is Ebron, Evans , Dix , Nix , Moseley , etc etc....Just pick some Damn playmakers ! Cheers !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Absolutely.

Kony Ealy is another intriguing prospect there at 15.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
@SteeleReign Ask and you shall receive.

Top Prospects of the 2014 Available at 15th Overall

1a. Anthony Barr, Outside Linebacker, UCLA

[see first post]

1b. Khalil Mack, Outside Linebacker, University of Buffalo

Strong. Physical. Excellent hands. Quick. All of these things are not only accurately describing Khalil Mack, but maybe devaluing on the level he plays game in and game out. If left in one on one situations, he's getting to the Quarterback - it's a foregone conclusion. His burst and first step at the line is matched only by Anthony Barr in this draft class. He's arguably better at the snap than Clowney is at shedding blocks. He already has an excellent array of pass rushing moves and the ability to bend and use a Tackle's size against him.

Mack is my current DROY candidate, depending on which team he goes to.

2. C.J. Mosley, Inside Linebacker, Alabama.

[see first slide]

3. Greg Robinson, Offensive Tackle, Auburn

An athletic Tackle that dominates with his size and exceptional kick slide and first step. He's able to use his frame and natural length to keep even the best pass rushers at bay. He was a big reason as to why Auburn had the success it did in not only the passing game, but the running game as well. He always seems to keep a clean pocket on the blind side, he uses his feet and NFL ready pad level to be a force in the run game. His hand placement needs work, but he's a 6'5 305 lbs. Tackle who ran a 4.9 40 time. He's just an athletic freak with a higher ceiling than Jake Matthews.

4. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Free Safety, Alabama.

[see first slide]
Thanks Canada! I can't wait to see how the draft turns out!!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Here's my pre-combine Mock.

1. Darqueze Dennard, Defensive Back, Michigan State University
2. Deone Bucannon, Strong Safety, Washington State University
3. (Compensatory Selection) Yawin Smallwood, Linebacker, Connecticut
4. Dominique Easley, Defensive Tackle, Florida
5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Back, Oklahoma
5. (Compensatory Selection) Antone Exum, Defensive Back, Virginia Tech
6. Joe Don Duncan, Tight End, Dixie State
7. Rajion Neal, Running Back, Tenneessee
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24848

With all the defensive needs, clearly a quick/fast safety that is an intercepting machine is certainly a need. I haven't
seen Clinton Dix enough, but some seem to think it is Dix or bust in this regard. Is Dix a settle for at 15 or does he have pro-bowl potential? Buchannon, big hitter, but good enough vs. the pass? Same question with the safety from USC? If Dix is clearly better than these (including Pryor), then I would select him at 15. If not, CB, LB, or DL makes sense.
Pitt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitt15 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-11-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #25
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

The latest Mock from B/R's Matt Miller.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Post-Combine Update

15. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pick: WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

Assigning value to players is one of the toughest jobs of a scout and general manager. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at a player and say "he can play," but putting a number value on that player is tough.

All that is to say that Kelvin Benjamin confounds me. He's built like a tight end (6'5", 240 lbs) and ran exceptionally well in the 40-yard-dash (4.61) and in the Gauntlet drill in Indianapolis. I'm in love with Benjamin's raw ability, but his lack of concentration on the field leads to many drops and missed assignments.

The Steelers can roll the dice on Benjamin because of need and potential value. They need a big target to open up the field for Ben Roethlisberger, and the Florida State product has that upside. How well he develops and how each team values his rawness will be the key to where he's actually selected in May.

Round 2.
14. Pittsburgh — TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington

Round 4.
18. Pittsburgh — DE Anthony Johnson, LSU (I love this pick.)

Round 5.
17. Pittsburgh — CB Nevin Lawson, Utah State

Round 6.
16. Pittsburgh — OG Brandon Linder, Miami (Fla.)

Round 7.
15. Pittsburgh — OT Matt Patchan, Boston College

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-update/page/1
Old 02-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

Don't know all these players, but doubt if the Steelers would select 2 large receivers in the first two rounds-one possible, but can't afford to ignore defense in the first 2 rounds, unless Watkins and Lewan are available.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #27
Pokey Jones
Water Boy

Member Number: 25776

In my opinion our biggest need is a Casey Hampton type NT. Since I don't see one available early I'd go with Dennard if he was available. Ike is getting old. I'd love to convert him to safety but that's unlikely. You need dominant corners to win in this league now. Dennard could be that guy.
Pokey Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pokey Jones For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt15 View Post
With all the defensive needs, clearly a quick/fast safety that is an intercepting machine is certainly a need. I haven't
seen Clinton Dix enough, but some seem to think it is Dix or bust in this regard. Is Dix a settle for at 15 or does he have pro-bowl potential? Buchannon, big hitter, but good enough vs. the pass? Same question with the safety from USC? If Dix is clearly better than these (including Pryor), then I would select him at 15. If not, CB, LB, or DL makes sense.
From what I've seen Dix is the "safe" pick because he is very fundamentally sound and physically talented. He's a good wrap-up tackler with good athleticism at the position so his floor is high, he's not likely to bust and at the very worst will be a solid starter at FS, but hasn't really done much to indicate he'll be a game-changing safety at the next level either. Pryor has a much bigger risk factor as he's more a hitter than a good tackler but seems to have a bigger knack for splash plays and more potential to be a "Pro Bowler." At least that's my take on the safeties. After studying both of them I'd rather have Pryor just because this team needs game-changers more than it needs solid role players right now, so I'd take that risk at 15 if it was down to those two.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #29
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The Pick: WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

Assigning value to players is one of the toughest jobs of a scout and general manager. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at a player and say "he can play," but putting a number value on that player is tough.

All that is to say that Kelvin Benjamin confounds me. He's built like a tight end (6'5", 240 lbs) and ran exceptionally well in the 40-yard-dash (4.61) and in the Gauntlet drill in Indianapolis. I'm in love with Benjamin's raw ability, but his lack of concentration on the field leads to many drops and missed assignments.
And this is what concerns me. I do not want a "raw" guy or one that's a project in round one. We can't afford to miss on a guy in the first round right now. We need someone who can come in and contribute right away. He has to be ready to make some type of impact.

If they go WR in the 1st, which I'm very much against right now, they have to get a can't-miss guy who starts right away and makes an impact. With all of the holes on this defense right now, we can't take a risk on a WR who has question marks about hands. We still have Derek Moye as a potential tall receiving threat that we can try to mold. We also have the 6'-3" Justin Brown as a possibility. We need defensive players now. Ben can wait another year for that tall luxury WR if Moye or Brown doesn't pan out.

Shore the defense up first, then go after your big WR and other offensive weapons next year.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.

Last edited by Buddha Bus; 02-28-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (02-28-2014), teegre (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

I am Pitt alum and always pull for Panthers, but don't think Donald fits the scheme, need to get hands up to pressure QB and bat balls. For what it's worth, Mayock thinks Smallwood is overrated, don't recall his reasoning. Haven't seen enough of Exum, looked slow to me at the Combine, but has great size. Smith would be great in the quarters defense , will need some more muscle to play consistently in the base. Always enjoyed watching Lyerla at OR, not sure Steelers want the baggage, but certainly little risk with the last pick. In short, I would just replace Donald with a larger DE, or OLB.