Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,300 Times in 3,268 Posts
Default Three of four playoff games still not sold out

NFL should be alarmed that three of four playoff games, including Green Bay's home game, still not sold out

The legend of the waiting list for Packers season tickets in Green Bay has grown over the years. Newborns get put on the list, with parents hoping some day their offspring hits the top of the list.

Green Bay has perhaps the best fans in the NFL ... which is why the league should be very worried that the Packers and two other teams are still struggling to sell out their playoff games.

Green Bay, as of Wednesday morning, was about 8,500 tickets short of a sellout, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Silverstein. If the Packers don't sell out by 3:40 p.m. Thursday, the game will be blacked out on local TV from Green Bay to Milwaukee. That's almost inconceivable. The Press-Gazette said the Packers have sold out every regular-season game since 1959 (a playoff game in January of 1983, at the end of the strike-shortened season, did not). And yet they are having troubles selling out a playoff game a week after Aaron Rodgers returned from injury to beat the Bears for the NFC North title.

The Bengals produced a video with some players urging fans to buy playoff tickets, which you wouldn't think should be necessary for a NFL playoff game. Former Bengals receiver Chad Johnson said he would buy the unsold tickets, of which there are about 8,000 according to reports, but it's unclear if he was serious. As of Wednesday afternoon the Colts needed to sell 5,500 tickets for their game against the Chiefs before Thursday afternoon to become a sellout and avoid a local television blackout.

It would be a tremendous embarrassment to the league to have three of four playoff games blacked out locally, and likely, the tickets will get sold somehow to avoid that scenario. But there's a bigger issue here. Is this the most stark example that NFL fans aren't too excited to go to games anymore?

A quick glance at Ticketmaster on Wednesday afternoon showed the face-value prices for the Packers playoff game ranged from $313 and $102, not counting Ticketmaster fees. If you've attended a NFL game, you know that the cost doesn't end with tickets. Parking is outrageously and insultingly high at most NFL games. Concessions aren't cheap either. NFL teams have gouged and gouged and gouged, and maybe there's a breaking point.

It is supposed to be a high of four degrees in Green Bay on Sunday, when the Packers play the 49ers, with a low of minus-15 degrees. Would you rather spend a few hundred dollars to sit in miserable conditions or stay at home and watch on TV, where the high-definition view is a heck of a lot better than it is better than any vantage point in the stadium? It seems that more fans are asking themselves that question, especially as the in-home experience for watching games has improved with great televisions and easy access to discuss the game with friends online.

The NFL has a serious issue on its hands when three cities are struggling to sell out a playoff game, including the Packers. All three games might sell out and the local television blackout scare will be forgotten. But the NFL better not ignore what's happening this week. It's not a good sign for the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7570--nfl.html

I guess the Steelers are not the only team with fair weather fans No surprise the Bengals are having trouble selling out, but Colts play indoors and Packers fans are legendary for the consistency of their support in any weather

But seriously, the NFL has a real problem on its hands - the views from the upper seats are often rotten and the hassles associated with attending the game (obnoxious/drunk fans, extorting fans for concessions and parking) make it harder to justify attending the game as opposed to enjoying it on HDTV - IMO you will start to see the waiting lists for season tickets dwindle for even the most devoted fan bases
JonM229 (01-02-2014), NSMaster56 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,910 Times in 1,774 Posts
Default Re: Three of four playoff games still not sold out

It would be easier for the NFL to change their blackout rules more than anything else.

Still not likely, but...
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But seriously, the NFL has a real problem on its hands - the views from the upper seats are often rotten and the hassles associated with attending the game (obnoxious/drunk fans, extorting fans for concessions and parking) make it harder to justify attending the game as opposed to enjoying it on HDTV - IMO you will start to see the waiting lists for season tickets dwindle for even the most devoted fan bases
Perhaps, but I also think folks who are more than just casual fans are beginning to get fed up with Goodell's NFL. I know I am.

Keep "tweaking" the game for maximum appeal to "fans" who only give a damn about fantasy football there, Rog...
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts

I don't blame people for not wanting to go to the Packers game on Sunday - the weather projection is -47 Fahrenheit with the windchill.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 7,070 Times in 2,510 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I don't blame people for not wanting to go to the Packers game on Sunday - the weather projection is -47 Fahrenheit with the windchill.
Hell, I'd drive up there just to check out a playoff game at Lambeau.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
jacobo (01-02-2014), SteelersCanada (01-02-2014), The_Joker (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
SteelCurtain5643
Team Captain

Member Number: 12838

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I know, thats gonna be insane. Idk how you play in that but thats def earning your money
SteelCurtain5643 is offline   Reply With Quote