Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #21
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,512 Times in 3,134 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Interesting WR prospect from Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
there is no next Hines Ward though.
true. sanders looked promising in college but dude ended up being sweeter than nestle crunch
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #22
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Jacoby Ford could be a free-agent "steel". I watched his entire career, being in the Oakland area, and he has huge potential. He was injured a whole season and fell by their wayside as they drafted other guys with the whole mess of their team. But Ford can ball if he had the right coaching and environment. This guy was an amazing kick/punt returner before being injured... He could be on the cheap too....
harrison'samonster (01-02-2014), WVABE (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,628 Times in 5,219 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

NFL draft 2014 top 10 WRs: Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, more

BY CHRIS BURKE
POSTED JANUARY 02, 2014

Mike Evans had 69 catches for 1,394 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2013. (Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

Important afternoon for teams hoping to add a receiver in 2014. A trio of talented players at that position declared for the upcoming draft: Texas A&M’s Mike Evans, Penn State’s Allen Robinson and Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks.

Here’s a look at where those players rank among the current 10 best WRs expected to be available in the 2014 NFL draft:

1. Mike Evans, Texas A&M: I keep going back and forth between Evans and Clemson’s Sammy Watkins as the top WR in this class. (Watkins has yet to declare for the draft but is expected to after Friday’s Orange Bowl versus Ohio State.) If I had to march to the podium to make a pick right now, it would be Evans. Though he’s not a straight-line burner, very few cornerbacks will be able to match up with him comfortably. Add in his ability to beat any coverage thrown his way and his potential to dominate in the red zone, and Evans could help any offense.

2. Sammy Watkins, Clemson: A flat-out playmaker, Watkins is four inches shorter than Evans (6-foot-1 to Evans’ 6-5) but appears to be further along in his development as a route-runner. There’s no questioning what he can do on deep balls or after the catch, either — 224 catches over three seasons don’t just happen.

3. Marqise Lee, USC: It took until USC’s bowl game for the Trojans to unleash a healthy Lee, and then he went off for a season-high 118 yards with two touchdowns. That it took him all year to recover from a nagging knee injury will force NFL teams to take a close look medically. Assuming all checks out there, Lee should be a high pick and an early producer.

4. Allen Robinson, Penn State: I mentioned on Twitter that Robinson reminds me some of star Chargers receiver Keenan Allen. Aside from possessing similar size (Robinson is listed at 6-3, 204; Allen at 6-2, 211), Robinson will arrive in the NFL with an advanced game. He runs sharp routes and has proven dangerous in the screen game. Plus, he uses every bit of that 6-2 frame to win balls consistently in the air.

5. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt: Honestly, there’s not a lot to separate two guys like Robinson and Matthews at this point. Matthews had 94 catches last season and 107 in 2013, without the help of an elite QB or a rapid-fire passing attack. At 6-3, he’s tough to deal with — as is Robinson — because he does a remarkable job finding the football and winning position for the catch. Drops have been few and far between.

6. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State: His 2013 numbers are staggering — 128 receptions for 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns. He’s smaller than the two guys listed just above him here, at 5-10 and 186 pounds, but he’s also more of a threat in the open field than either Robinson or Matthews. He can survive as an outside receiver. Put him in the slot with a couple other guys drawing attention, though, and he might be unstoppable.

7. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State: In case you haven’t noticed by now, the WR talent in this draft projects to be really deep. Benjamin also has yet to pull the trigger by entering the draft, but he turns 23 in February, so it makes sense that the redshirt sophomore would want to go. Benjamin almost plays like a TE lined up wide (he’s 6-5 and 230), except he also has enough speed to get deep.

8. Davante Adams, Fresno State: The “system” tag does not apply just to quarterbacks — NFL scouts will have to determine how much of Adams’ 131 catches and 24 touchdowns this season were generated by skills that translate to the next level, and how many were a result of the Bulldogs’ Derek Carr-led aerial attack. Odds are, they’ll find plenty to like. The 6-2 Adams can catch and run, but he also excels in one-on-one matchups, as he did multiple times during Fresno State’s bowl game.

9. Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin: Arguably one of the most underrated prospects in college football, at least prior to a 78-catch season that included a 207-yard explosion versus Ohio State (and potential first-round CB Bradley Roby). Abbrederis can line up wherever a team might need him and find a way to get open. He doesn’t jump off the tape like, say, Evans or Watkins … and yet, the ball keeps finding its way into his hands, despite Wisconsin’s shaky QB play.

10. Odell Beckham Jr., LSU: The Paul Hornung Award winner as college football’s most versatile player, Beckham could climb the charts at the draft because of his return abilities. But he’s also not a Devin Hester-type — i.e. a player who will be very limited in offensive sets. Beckham caught 59 passes with a 19.5 per-catch average in 2013. He’s more raw than some of the other receivers on this list, yet may be among the most lethal players in the draft.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/02/nfl-dra...ide-receivers/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #24
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,260 Posts
My Mood: Amused

If we're able to get Benjamin in the 2nd round....
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #25
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
I would like the Steelers to take Allen Robinson in the second instead and take a defensive player like Justin Gilbert in the first.
I would love that myself but it would amaze me if he was still there when we pick in the second. If he makes it through the first someone will grab him early in the 2nd. If he does make it to us, I would hope we would grab him.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #26
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Jacoby Ford could be a free-agent "steel". I watched his entire career, being in the Oakland area, and he has huge potential. He was injured a whole season and fell by their wayside as they drafted other guys with the whole mess of their team. But Ford can ball if he had the right coaching and environment. This guy was an amazing kick/punt returner before being injured... He could be on the cheap too....
Maybe for league minimum. Like everyone says, potential only means you havnt accomplished anything yet and he has been in the NFL long enough. He is always injured
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #27
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
the dude has rockets for feet, but he is on the small side and is always hurt!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #28
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,191 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
If we're able to get Benjamin in the 2nd round....
Steelers doesnt have a good track record drafting recievers in the 2nd round.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #29
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,260 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Steelers draft watch: WR Allen Robinson: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...allen-robinson
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (01-03-2014), pczach (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #30
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

i will admit getting evans or robinson would be nice...i hope it doesnt happen! the defensive need is way greater than getting another #1 wr! and with all of the large talented wr's coming out this year, i cant see breaking the bank in the first 2 rounds! coleman, Abbrederis and street are all guys with great talent, that can be taken later!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote