Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,785 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
In the first 4 games, Ben dropped back 38, 39, 44, and 56 times. Big deficits can easily result in a lot of sacks no matter what's going on with the offensive line.

Isn't this a better argument in favor of keeping Bicknell? Instead of having (the guy who is considered to be) the best center in football, he had a final cut waiver wire pickup who was expected to be not in uniform for a single game. At left tackle, he had a guy who's hardly ever even played left tackle. He was able to make the best out of some very dire circumstances.
And big deficits are in turn partially (if not mostly) caused by a lack of running game behind a bad offensive blocking scheme (can't open up the passing game) and limited time in the pocket to throw to try and open up a running game. Limited may be putting it kindly, honestly.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-03-2014), Lady Steel (01-03-2014), pczach (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i thought the line play turned around by midseason and finally had something to start working on. then again, he was responsible for bringing in rollerskates scott, and that's inexcusable
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,992 Times in 4,663 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
I really hope they have an upgrade lined up.
I believe the Steelers do have an upgrade lined up and will promote offensive assistant Shaun Sarrett to be our new OL coach.

Sarrett living a dream with Steelers

Beckley native has gone from Woodrow Wilson to the NFL

By Cam Huffman

When Shaun Sarrett left Beckley with a degree — and plenty of football and wrestling honors — from Woodrow Wilson High School, he had two dreams in mind. He wanted to play major college football, and he wanted to coach at the highest level.

After a stint at Fork Union Military Academy, Sarrett accomplished goal No. 1 when he competed as a three-year letterman on the offensive line at Kent State University.

After graduating from KSU in 2004, he quickly pursued his other ambition, and when the Pittsburgh Steelers take the field today at O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif., to take on the Oakland Raiders, the former Flying Eagle will be in the coaches’ box wearing his black and gold as an offensive assistant for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Now in his second season, Sarrett does a little bit of everything for the Steelers, working to provide offensive coordinator Todd Haley with any assistance he needs. He helps with game preparation, video analysis and scouting, and is available to help out with every aspect of the offense.

“I try to make their job as easy as possible,” he said. “But specifically, I work heavily with the offensive line.”

On game days, Sarrett sits high in the sky, watching specific areas to provide assistance to the other coaches.

“You’ve really got to train your eyes,” he said of those duties. “The ball catches your eye, so you have to really train your eyes to watch the area you need to be watching and not let the ball take your eyes away from that area.”

Sarrett — a Woodrow Wilson Hall of Famer, who’s the son of Flying Eagle basketball and football legend Bane Sarrett and the brother of WWHS wrestling coach Chad “Street” Sarrett — is hopeful that one day he’ll be one of the coaches in charge. His next goal is to become an offensive line coach at the college or professional level. By no means, though, is he eager to leave his current situation.

“I’m thrilled to be here, and I’m not job hunting at all,” said the 34-year-old. “I love working for (Steeler head coach Mike) Tomlin and the Rooneys (the family that owns the Steelers), and if they want to keep me here, I’m staying here.”

Sarrett’s path to the NFL started at Streetsboro High School in Ohio, where he received his first coaching job upon leaving Kent State.

From there, he was given the opportunity to serve as a graduate assistant at Marshall for three years, and he moved on to Duke in 2008, serving as an offensive quality control coach.

It was a connection he made while with the Blue Devils, working under head coach David Cutcliffe, that eventually led to the job with the Steelers. Scottie Montgomery was coaching wide receivers at Duke when he received a call from the Steelers to fill the same role at the professional level in 2010.

Two years into the job, the Steelers had an opening for an offensive assistant, and Montgomery quickly thought back to Sarrett.

Sarrett was called in for an interview, and he didn’t hesitate.

“I jumped right on it,” he remembered. “Who wouldn’t?”

Sarrett remembers sitting in the cafeteria with Tomlin, then-Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kuglar and Steelers defensive coordinator and Pro Football Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau explaining how he could help the team.

“I thought to myself, this is as good as it gets,” said Sarrett of the unique interview. “People dream about being here.”

The dream quickly became a reality, and Sarrett has spent the last two years soaking in as much knowledge as possible.

He keeps a “checklist book” where he writes down things that he wants to do and things that he wants to do differently when he’s the man in charge.

Sarrett said he’s had the opportunity to be around some great coaches — including Tomlin, one of the rare coaches, he said, who understands all aspects of the game.

He’s also learned a few things about how an organization is supposed to be run.

“The Rooneys are first- class across the board in everything they do,” said Sarrett, who’s a believer in the notion that the Steelers are one of the best-run organizations in professional sports. “Anything you can think of, they do it right.”

This year’s Steelers enter today’s game with 2-4 record, but they’ve won two straight and Sarrett hopes they’re returning to the winning ways that have won the franchise a record six Super Bowls.

“We’re going to continue to work to get better,” he said. “These guys are professionals, and they’re working at it every day. They’re going to continue to grow.”

Sarrett will also continue to develop as a coach and pursue his goals, and he hopes he’s set an example for future generations at Woodrow and other area schools that you don’t have to come from a big city to reach the top.

“If you have a dream, don’t let anybody talk you out of it,” he said. “Just keep fighting for it.

“I had a dream to play football at the college level, and I did that. Then I had a dream to be a coach, and here I am coaching in the NFL now. When you have a dream, it doesn’t matter where you come from. It’s just what you’re willing to sacrifice to get to it.”

http://www.register-herald.com/other...-with-Steelers
Old 01-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,252 Times in 665 Posts

Definitely a confusing move and maybe a case where we just don't know enough. I was excited for the line coming into 2014 and thought they played well later in the season.

Is this just one more crap decision by Tomlin or are we missing something?
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts

This is what happens when you refuse to run the outside zone, despite it gaining over 5 ypc on average throughout the season.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,992 Times in 4,663 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
This is what happens when you refuse to run the outside zone, despite it gaining over 5 ypc on average throughout the season.
or properly develop 2nd round draft picks Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert to become our future LT.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
or properly develop 2nd round draft picks Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert to become our future LT.
I don't put Adams on Bicknell - he's just a complete lost cause.

Something tells me this is one of many this off season.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
steelersfan299
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24619

Not really his fault, but he didn't have a very good track record as an O-line coach (1 year in KC) before coming to Pittsburgh anyway.
steelersfan299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

The excuse of losing Pouncey to abandon your outside zone is a bullshit one. Velasco came from a zone blocking scheme and knew it very well, but word is that Bicknell didn't teach it or coach it correctly. When you have DeCastro and Pouncey on your line, you need the best of the best. If he wasn't able to coach it well, then perhaps this was a necessary move.

Hey, guys - maybe Tomlin and the front office know more than we do. Just a thought.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (01-03-2014), harrison'samonster (01-03-2014), Lady Steel (01-03-2014), pczach (01-03-2014), vasteeler (01-03-2014), zcoop (01-05-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Maybe they sort of blame this guy for teaching it wrong and thus getting pouncey's knee obliterated....

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote