Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,277 Times in 1,321 Posts
Default Re: Rapoport: Haley expected to stay

Give Haley Mike Evans please, Mr. Colbert.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I for one will be glad to see him stay. Shit was workin.
Exactly!!! I know a lot of fans didn't like Haley but he was brought here to protect Ben and establish a running game. He did that with a musical chairs OLine, and a bunch of records were broken in the process! Good job!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-04-2014), Steelersfan1 (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Rowland2110
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24418

They improved enough in the second half of the season enough to keep him. It seems they got rid of the plays that didn't work like bubble screens but they still need to improve in the redzone.

They first half of the season was on the coaching staff as a whole. I know we had key injuries but even in preseason they did not look like an NFL quality team.
Rowland2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
tarasovic2
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24503

Has this been verified by a source other than Rapoport?
tarasovic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Not only were we a couple of plays and bad calls away from the playoffs we have one he of an offense right now. If we stay healthy, get a nice WR in the draft and develop Wheaton, we are close yo a top 5 offense in the league! Of course we need to keep people healthy (Pouncey, Bell) and resign Cotch but man we are close!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 25703

I admit I threw the towel in at midseason on him. But, I was very favorable to the Haley hire. He had a real nice track record from Dallas to Arizona to KC - able to adapt to his players and be effective with a downfield passing game at Dallas, a more wide open passing game at Arizona and a run game at KC.

I think the original plan was to run with more power - going off of Rooney's statement about wanting to run more, then drafting Bell. Bell can catch and is super elusive for his size, but still is a big back. It just seemed they wanted to get back to running the ball more, get Ben to pass quicker and most importantly not get him beat up to heck.

Not sure how they got the OL straightened out, but at the halfway point of the season it seemed him and Ben found their way - Ben got to go no huddle, call plays and pass more, but he also started getting rid of the ball faster.

They still had as many deep throws as prior years, but a lot more shorter throws in place of intermediate throws.

The offensive pace started to click and he himself has said he is as healthy at the end of the season as he can remember.

The whole organization has to allow the positive momentum from the last half of this year carry over into next year without getting too overconfident. More work needs to be done across the board.

But, given how they closed out the year, no way you can part ways with Haley and start over with someone else again.
Steelersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #17
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Right, still off put by his out of anus report about Ben earlier in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasovic2 View Post
Has this been verified by a source other than Rapoport?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #18
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Yep, that was the end game ...

Took longer than you would like, but he and Ben found their common ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
Exactly!!! I know a lot of fans didn't like Haley but he was brought here to protect Ben and establish a running game. He did that with a musical chairs OLine, and a bunch of records were broken in the process! Good job!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
nbowman46
Water Boy

Member Number: 25706

Agree 100%, health is biggest thing for us, and letting Wheaton play, cant wait for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Not only were we a couple of plays and bad calls away from the playoffs we have one he of an offense right now. If we stay healthy, get a nice WR in the draft and develop Wheaton, we are close yo a top 5 offense in the league! Of course we need to keep people healthy (Pouncey, Bell) and resign Cotch but man we are close!
nbowman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #20
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I just don't want a too green of a guy depended on in the clutch - that said - it is time for a big target - I don't care so much for numbered labels, but a 3rd receiver that improves the catching radius for Ben is just fine by me.

If we can keep Cotchery and see Wheaton emerge plus a big target WR - we're solid enough to be a top 10 offense. Got to find a TE of the future with Miller going into the last year of his contract (this might be great timing as Miller is aging but also playing for his next payday - I expect a bounceback from HEEEEAAAATH).

It also can't be understated that we do need someone behind Bell - if Dwyer can maintain his upswing and be a short yardage guy that'll help big time.

Ben has my blessing after witnessing his command of the field this season. With Haley's scheme and always wanting to be a part of his dad's Steelers) and Kirby staying on this might finally be a beautiful situation. Better head game than with Arians while Ben getting to do more of what he wants (and now he has earned that right - too bad they didn't try to make him play with his head more right after the 09 season)

Ben - check
Brown - check
Bell - check
Cotchery - hopefully check - we really need his dependability and vet presence
TE - hopefully check for the long haul and Heath stays healthy - wouldn't hurt to work in #46 more too
O-line - FINALLY - keeping Velasco and Wallace would make my 2014 - that would be some quality depth - you can thank the Steelers FO for having the opportunity to have this rare gems - also see Beachum who is quickly becoming a favorite of mine
#3 - Wheaton emerges / big target (hopefully) - Moye for depth - hopefully he can pick it up and show more flashes - I have a feeling we might see another guy who can play ST though

Defense is the bigger question mark for once - kind of refreshing to see us win our last 3 with all those question marks

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (01-06-2014), Steelersfan1 (01-05-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-05-2014), teegre (01-05-2014)