Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Re: On the Steelers: Defense could face another bad year

What we need is for guys to step up. Cortez Allen really showed he could ball at the end of the season and he'll probably be the #1 CB. Jarvis Jones should get better and should play more like how he did in the Cleveland game. I don't expect Shamarko to come in and be amazing, but at least better than Clark. If we can retain Ike and Troy for less then we can mitigate some of the problems of the defense. Sure having a solid defensive draft is needed, but we're forgetting that the players coming in aren't going to be ready just like how JJ was.

I think we should provide Ben with more weapons such as a TE and a WR so that if our offense can light it up, it'll conceal the deficiencies of our defense and plus if opposing offenses are playing from behind, they'll be prone to making mistakes.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-05-2014), steelfury02 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

It's really this simple - as of typing this, we have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Why Ike Taylor is still on every teams number one receiver is a question I don't know anyone is able to answer. Did everyone else see Gordon absolutely shred him both games this year? Allen didn't let Gordon have a single catch. Not one. Ike let him haul in 6 catches for over 60 yards. Maybe we don't have the 33 year old CB take one of the better receivers in the NFL. Just a thought.

We need a complete overhaul in the secondary. Clark is as good as gone which will allow the possibility of Ha'Sean to be drafted and has the potential to start immediately. Remember how everyone was fawning over Kenny Vacarro last year? This kid is the better overall prospect and Kenny started on a top 5 defense prior to getting injured.

Cortez needs to be our number one CB. Shamarko Thomas needs to start and if we draft HaHa, he has to start as well. CB is still a gaping hole as Gay isn't a legitimate second CB in the NFL. Our lack of depth at DB overall is concerning. Curtis Brown hasn't amounted to anything more than a special teams player and the Robert Golden experiment failed.

All of that being said, it's not time to panic. We're not going to be a bad defense next season if we get younger in our secondary. There are legitimate questions about NT, but that's the least of my worries right now. JJ will continue his development and spend some time in the weight room which by itself makes our defense better than it was last season. The core of our defense - like our team - is young and explosive. They just need snaps and we need to not be sentimental about players we currently have.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (01-05-2014), harrison'samonster (01-05-2014), SH-Rock (01-05-2014), Steelersfan1 (01-05-2014), steelfury02 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162

They should have cut Troy last year and kept Keenan Lewis who looked great against Philly's DeSean Jackson until his concussion.

Oh well spilled milk at this point.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
It's really this simple - as of typing this, we have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Why Ike Taylor is still on every teams number one receiver is a question I don't know anyone is able to answer. Did everyone else see Gordon absolutely shred him both games this year? Allen didn't let Gordon have a single catch. Not one. Ike let him haul in 6 catches for over 60 yards. Maybe we don't have the 33 year old CB take one of the better receivers in the NFL. Just a thought.

We need a complete overhaul in the secondary. Clark is as good as gone which will allow the possibility of Ha'Sean to be drafted and has the potential to start immediately. Remember how everyone was fawning over Kenny Vacarro last year? This kid is the better overall prospect and Kenny started on a top 5 defense prior to getting injured.

Cortez needs to be our number one CB. Shamarko Thomas needs to start and if we draft HaHa, he has to start as well. CB is still a gaping hole as Gay isn't a legitimate second CB in the NFL. Our lack of depth at DB overall is concerning. Curtis Brown hasn't amounted to anything more than a special teams player and the Robert Golden experiment failed.

All of that being said, it's not time to panic. We're not going to be a bad defense next season if we get younger in our secondary. There are legitimate questions about NT, but that's the least of my worries right now. JJ will continue his development and spend some time in the weight room which by itself makes our defense better than it was last season. The core of our defense - like our team - is young and explosive. They just need snaps and we need to not be sentimental about players we currently have.
Good post. I totally forgot about Vacarro lol.

I think Shamarko plays nickel corner and Gay slides to the #2 spot. Troy will likely extend his contract for 2-3 years that will give us some cap room to sign Worilds.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 25703

I was a BIG Vacarro guy.

Not in love with JJ, hoping for the best. I think he is active and finds a way to be around the ball, but I REALLY worry about his capacity to get to the QB from the OLB spot. They don't get 10 sacks give or take from the ROLB spot and the defense really struggles.

I really think he looks more like a MLB in their defense.

Vacarro looks like a more talented Clark - would have been a nice starting point to rebuild the secondary.

They REALLY have to find a way to make the money and hit on a Farrior or Clark kind of FA signing. They can't just rely on player development on defense, where their players take forever and a day to develop.

Quote:

Steelersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eztarget View Post
They should have cut Troy last year and kept Keenan Lewis who looked great against Philly's DeSean Jackson until his concussion.

Oh well spilled milk at this point.
They should have cut Ike Taylor. Troy played well this season.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
Steelersfan1
Water Boy

Member Number: 25703

I don't think they will do it, but if it were me I would go to him and try to see if he was willing to extend a year or two and give a slight rate while helping to smooth out his cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Good post. I totally forgot about Vacarro lol.

I think Shamarko plays nickel corner and Gay slides to the #2 spot. Troy will likely extend his contract for 2-3 years that will give us some cap room to sign Worilds.
Steelersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
Raw Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 15349

The Steelers keep hanging onto the past. They blew it when they let Lewis go to hold onto Ike instead. They will do the same thing with Woodley when they keep him and let Worilds go. I still appreciate trying to keep their own players which is the case with Woodley, but his contract is killing the team because of the injuries and because they overvalued him. The are probably stuck with him now and young players will go elsewhere.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:

I'm big on getting Mike Evans in the first round, but the more I see/hear of Clinton-Dix, the more I like.

Can't say I'd be disappointed with, "HaHa!" becoming our new chant whenever he lays out a Raven.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

The defense is gonna be terrible next year unless Jarvis Jones and Shamarko Thomas magically become James Harrison and Troy 2.0, which they may with time but I wouldn't expect it next year by any means.

This is why I'm in favor of Watkins/Evans in round 1, yes the defense needs a TON of help but no matter what we do on D it won't be fixed next year or even the year after that, and those are valuable years of Ben's waning career. We shouldn't exactly mortgage the future for the present but we definitely need to start thinking a bit more about a "win now" approach and a game-breaking WR could put the offense over the top immediately and make up for the shortcomings of our defense. That's not to say draft a WR at all costs but it shouldn't be ignored just because we have so many defensive needs.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-05-2014), steelfury02 (01-06-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-05-2014)