Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,778
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 8,964
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,115 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Here is an article about 6'5" 318 lb Ray Brown playing OT at age 42. He used Pilates to stay flexible and healthy at that age in the NFL. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...90/1/index.htm

Been credited with helping youngsters like Mike Iupati, Amini Silatolu, anthony Young develop as NFL pro's. I think he could impart some knowledge on the OT's. They will find out in the interviews if he is O line coach ready or not.
Stressing flexibility will help keep these men healthy. He knows how to take care of his body, and he can help with the conditioning and physical preparation needed to stay on the field. That alone makes this guy valuable. Having a hand in what might be the best and most physical OL in the league in San Francisco doesn't hurt either.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,286
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,267
Thanked 9,436 Times in 4,037 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

I have a couple of issues with this. One, I know he isn't the offensive line coach for the Panthers, but good god the Panthers offensive line is absolutely atrocious. Outside of Kalil at Center, it's just a trainwreck. This can be attributed to a lack of talent along the line, but their offensive line is easily the weakest point of that team. Again, I know it's not on him but that doesn't spark a ton of confidence for me.

A guy I'd really like to see would be John Benton, the old offensive line coach for the Texans. Houston has dominated at the point of attack and in the trenches for years. Not to mention they led the league in 100 yard rushers in 26 since the 2010 season. Ya, that number equates to over 50%. They've also dominated in time of possession and led the league in the category the last two years.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-06-2014), Black Gold (01-06-2014), harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
MeanGee2047
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 102
Member Number: 24036
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

If he can bring the nasty to our offensive line then I'm onboard with the hire....unless of course Vegas gets involved...
MeanGee2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Binbrook, ON Canada
Posts: 264
Gender: Male
Member Number: 25607
Thanks: 27
Thanked 273 Times in 147 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

The word is he knows how to teach the position. He knows how to develop young talent. We need someone to develop some of our guys (Adams & Gilbert).
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,997
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 269
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
The word is he knows how to teach the position. He knows how to develop young talent. We need someone to develop some of our guys (Adams & Gilbert).
That is why he is the asst line coach. He teaches the young guys the position...but the real question is if he can handle the x's and o's we need to win.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El-Gonzo Jackson For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,997
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 269
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I have a couple of issues with this. One, I know he isn't the offensive line coach for the Panthers, but good god the Panthers offensive line is absolutely atrocious. Outside of Kalil at Center, it's just a trainwreck. This can be attributed to a lack of talent along the line, but their offensive line is easily the weakest point of that team. Again, I know it's not on him but that doesn't spark a ton of confidence for me.

A guy I'd really like to see would be John Benton, the old offensive line coach for the Texans. Houston has dominated at the point of attack and in the trenches for years. Not to mention they led the league in 100 yard rushers in 26 since the 2010 season. Ya, that number equates to over 50%. They've also dominated in time of possession and led the league in the category the last two years.
Panthers lost their starting RG week 1 of the season and are playing former Steeler Chris Scott there. They lost LG Amini Silatolu and are back to old timer Travelle Wharton there. Brown was credited for improving 3rd year RT Byron Bell and Silatolu since his arrival.

Panthers were hit by injuries like the Steelers and somehow they have the #2 seed in the NFC. Again, Brown isnt the O line coach, but they have done well with the injuries and old talent.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El-Gonzo Jackson For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,286
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,267
Thanked 9,436 Times in 4,037 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Panthers lost their starting RG week 1 of the season and are playing former Steeler Chris Scott there. They lost LG Amini Silatolu and are back to old timer Travelle Wharton there. Brown was credited for improving 3rd year RT Byron Bell and Silatolu since his arrival.

Panthers were hit by injuries like the Steelers and somehow they have the #2 seed in the NFC. Again, Brown isnt the O line coach, but they have done well with the injuries and old talent.
Oh I'm aware of their injuries. I'm a huge Cam Newton fan, so the Panthers are the only other team I'll watch every snap of. However, the total offensive line play the past two seasons has been abysmal. The only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because of Cam's legs.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
Black Gold
Bench Warmer
 
Black Gold's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 215
Gender: Male
Member Number: 25445
Thanks: 73
Thanked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I have a couple of issues with this. One, I know he isn't the offensive line coach for the Panthers, but good god the Panthers offensive line is absolutely atrocious. Outside of Kalil at Center, it's just a trainwreck. This can be attributed to a lack of talent along the line, but their offensive line is easily the weakest point of that team. Again, I know it's not on him but that doesn't spark a ton of confidence for me.

A guy I'd really like to see would be John Benton, the old offensive line coach for the Texans. Houston has dominated at the point of attack and in the trenches for years. Not to mention they led the league in 100 yard rushers in 26 since the 2010 season. Ya, that number equates to over 50%. They've also dominated in time of possession and led the league in the category the last two years.
What he said x 2.
__________________
www.londonblitz.com
Black Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Gold For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014), SteelersCanada (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,630
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,634
Thanked 6,913 Times in 2,995 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Oh I'm aware of their injuries. I'm a huge Cam Newton fan, so the Panthers are the only other team I'll watch every snap of. However, the total offensive line play the past two seasons has been abysmal. The only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because of Cam's legs.
the only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because the Steelers offenseive line plays in the same league.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony hipchest For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,286
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,267
Thanked 9,436 Times in 4,037 Posts
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because the Steelers offenseive line plays in the same league.
Fair point. But hey, there's improvement. In the last 7 games, they only gave up 7 sacks and they went up against some pretty formidable opponents.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts