Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,632 Times in 3,115 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: OL coach candidate Ray Brown worked with Sean Kugler in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Here is an article about 6'5" 318 lb Ray Brown playing OT at age 42. He used Pilates to stay flexible and healthy at that age in the NFL. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...90/1/index.htm

Been credited with helping youngsters like Mike Iupati, Amini Silatolu, anthony Young develop as NFL pro's. I think he could impart some knowledge on the OT's. They will find out in the interviews if he is O line coach ready or not.
Stressing flexibility will help keep these men healthy. He knows how to take care of his body, and he can help with the conditioning and physical preparation needed to stay on the field. That alone makes this guy valuable. Having a hand in what might be the best and most physical OL in the league in San Francisco doesn't hurt either.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-10-2014), harrison'samonster (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,436 Times in 4,037 Posts

I have a couple of issues with this. One, I know he isn't the offensive line coach for the Panthers, but good god the Panthers offensive line is absolutely atrocious. Outside of Kalil at Center, it's just a trainwreck. This can be attributed to a lack of talent along the line, but their offensive line is easily the weakest point of that team. Again, I know it's not on him but that doesn't spark a ton of confidence for me.

A guy I'd really like to see would be John Benton, the old offensive line coach for the Texans. Houston has dominated at the point of attack and in the trenches for years. Not to mention they led the league in 100 yard rushers in 26 since the 2010 season. Ya, that number equates to over 50%. They've also dominated in time of possession and led the league in the category the last two years.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-06-2014), Black Gold (01-06-2014), harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
MeanGee2047
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24036

If he can bring the nasty to our offensive line then I'm onboard with the hire....unless of course Vegas gets involved...
MeanGee2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

The word is he knows how to teach the position. He knows how to develop young talent. We need someone to develop some of our guys (Adams & Gilbert).
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
The word is he knows how to teach the position. He knows how to develop young talent. We need someone to develop some of our guys (Adams & Gilbert).
That is why he is the asst line coach. He teaches the young guys the position...but the real question is if he can handle the x's and o's we need to win.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I have a couple of issues with this. One, I know he isn't the offensive line coach for the Panthers, but good god the Panthers offensive line is absolutely atrocious. Outside of Kalil at Center, it's just a trainwreck. This can be attributed to a lack of talent along the line, but their offensive line is easily the weakest point of that team. Again, I know it's not on him but that doesn't spark a ton of confidence for me.

A guy I'd really like to see would be John Benton, the old offensive line coach for the Texans. Houston has dominated at the point of attack and in the trenches for years. Not to mention they led the league in 100 yard rushers in 26 since the 2010 season. Ya, that number equates to over 50%. They've also dominated in time of possession and led the league in the category the last two years.
Panthers lost their starting RG week 1 of the season and are playing former Steeler Chris Scott there. They lost LG Amini Silatolu and are back to old timer Travelle Wharton there. Brown was credited for improving 3rd year RT Byron Bell and Silatolu since his arrival.

Panthers were hit by injuries like the Steelers and somehow they have the #2 seed in the NFC. Again, Brown isnt the O line coach, but they have done well with the injuries and old talent.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Panthers lost their starting RG week 1 of the season and are playing former Steeler Chris Scott there. They lost LG Amini Silatolu and are back to old timer Travelle Wharton there. Brown was credited for improving 3rd year RT Byron Bell and Silatolu since his arrival.

Panthers were hit by injuries like the Steelers and somehow they have the #2 seed in the NFC. Again, Brown isnt the O line coach, but they have done well with the injuries and old talent.
Oh I'm aware of their injuries. I'm a huge Cam Newton fan, so the Panthers are the only other team I'll watch every snap of. However, the total offensive line play the past two seasons has been abysmal. The only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because of Cam's legs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25445

Quote:

What he said x 2.
austinfrench76 (01-06-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2014), SteelersCanada (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,913 Times in 2,995 Posts

Quote:
Oh I'm aware of their injuries. I'm a huge Cam Newton fan, so the Panthers are the only other team I'll watch every snap of. However, the total offensive line play the past two seasons has been abysmal. The only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because of Cam's legs.
the only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because the Steelers offenseive line plays in the same league.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the only reason the Panthers don't lead the league in sacks given up is because the Steelers offenseive line plays in the same league.
Fair point. But hey, there's improvement. In the last 7 games, they only gave up 7 sacks and they went up against some pretty formidable opponents.