Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 1.15.14

Gerry Dulac: OK, lets get our chat started. Fire away

Guest: Does the Bus make the HOF this year?

Gerry Dulac: I sure hope so because he deserves it as the best big back to play the game. To me, if Curtis Martin gets in the Hall of Fame., Jerome Bettis shou;ld get in the Hall of Fame.

Rob VD: My Question is a bit of a long one really. The concern is about the middle. I'm a fan of McClendon and hes good against the zone. do you think he'll stick there at NT or moved to DE? and is Williams the answer when Foote is done or will we be drafting there soon? Do you think they are unfairly to blame for the run troubles because of their lack of inexperience?

Gerry Dulac: Let me answer the last part of your question first. Yes, this defense lacked experience in the front seven when you consider that they started two rookies at linebacker -- Jarvis Jones and Vince Williams -- and had a first-year starter at nose tackle in McLendon. And, let's not forget, as good as he was, Cam Heyward was a first-year starter too. So 4 positions out of the front 7 were new guys or young guys. That's why it might be unfair to say those uys can't do the job. Year two should be different. I think it's premature to say McLendon can't be the nose tackle, but I dont' think there's any question they need to figure out of its him, the style he plays and what they need to do to correct the problem. And I like Vince Williams. I don't know if he's the long-term answer, but at the very least I think he showed he's has the potential to be a dependable player, a more than competent backup.

FastWP: What kind of compensatory picks would you guess the Steelers might be awarded for losing Wallace, Mendenhall & Keenan Lewis?

Gerry Dulac: There are several criteria for getting a decent compensatory pick -- third and fourth round -- and they are if the player received a large contract (Wallace), was a former No. 1 pick (Mendenhall) or was a starter (Lewis). So I expect the Steelers, and I think they are expecting the same, to get at least a third and probably two fourth-round picks.

John B.: Would you rather have a big WR or a big TE in the first round?

Gerry Dulac: I'd rather have the tall wide receiver, like Mike Evans, even Allen Robinson, though my stated preference right now is Mike Evans of Texas A&M, who has declared for the draft. They have a tall tight end -- 6-7 Matt Spaeth.

Jack Splat: Does Ike Taylor stay or go? I think it is time to move on rom Ike with thanks for wht he accomplished as a Steeler.

Gerry Dulac: I like Ike, but when faced with a tight salary cap and where you are as a team, I think it's time to move on. Ike is scheduled to count $11.8 millioj in 2014, a lot of money for a player who will be 34 and doesn't pick the ball or make splash plays. If you''re going to pay out that kind of money, you do it for a player who is a difference-maker, and you can't honestly say that about Ike. And here's another reason: After he gave up a lot of passing yards to Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon and Torrey Smith, Ike was never used again to shadow the other team's top receiver. So even the role he served in the past has been junked. I think that speaks to their plans more than anything.

JamesinNYC: Do you think the Steelers would go for a guy like Linval Joseph if he makes it to FA, would cost 4Y 28-30 MIO probably?

Gerry Dulac: No, not at all, and you might be overstating his value for a guy who has 9 sacks in three years.

Matt from LA: If you are the Steelers' management team, do you base the changes for next year's team on their 0-4 and 2-6 early season record or their 6-2 finish? It seems like Mr. Rooney is taking the positive route and, unfortunately, this may be naive and lead to more 8-8 seasons.

Gerry Dulac: I don't think they will lose sight of the fact they are an 8-8 football team for the second year in a row. Their finish might have given them an indication of the abilities of some of their young players, but I think it showed they still need to make some changes. And those will come with older players such as Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel, Ike Taylor. But, a lot of times, it's not just the players you have or the talent they possess, but the chemistry of those players, the desire of the players, players who can win close games or find ways to win close games.

I don't think anyone thinks they're on the right track after back-to-back 8-8 seasons, though I think the second half of the season indicates they are not regressing either.

Ralph: Why are Steelers fans so anxious to get rid of guys like Palamalu, Ike, and Kiesel? They may not be playing as they once did, but didn't Jarvis Jones show that newer and younger doesn't mean better?

Gerry Dulac: Maybe some people are eager, but those are fans, and that's understandable. The organization is not eager to get rid of them, but when youre 8-8 and have a lot of older players who are making a lot of money it's time to make tough decisions. If those players aren't helping you do better than 8-8, it's time to part with some of those. I don't think Polamalu will be one of those, but I bet you didn't think they would part with James Harrison, either.

Matt from LA: Although everyone loves and admires Dick LeBeau and what he has done and meant to this team, is it time for a fresh set of eyes and a new set of ideas? In other words, is his defense too complex fr today's modern athlete, most of whom never finish college?

Gerry Dulac: No, I don't think so. I don't think the problems of the Steelers defense were what they were doing as much as who they were doing it with -- a lot of new, inexperienced players coupled with lack of production from key veterans such as LaMarr Woodley and, to an extent, Ike Taylor.

And, in today's NFL, you better be complex or top quarterbacks will pick you apart. But that's why continuity is so important. You need to groom players to step in and then keep them, like Jason Worilds. That's why I think they goofed last year with letting Keenan Lewis go.

Ralph: Is there a position where a Free Agent signing could impact the draft the most? A guy like Riley Cooper could be very affordable and really free up the Steelers to pick the NT is Rd 1 and decent corner in rd 2 since there is depth there.

Gerry Dulac: I think the area where they are most likely to sign a free-agent starter is where they went last time they found a starter on the open market -- free safety. I don't think the Steelers intend to re-sign Ryan Clark, but they might be willing to get an experienced safety in free agency. Of course, with Shamarko Thomas waiting in the wings, they might consider another position. Their defense needs some help, and they can't rely on rookies to provide that immediately, whether that's on the line, at linebacker or in the secondary.

Gus from dormont: What's the status of Levi Brown? Will he ever play and what kind of draft pick did we trade for him?

Gerry Dulac: I believe the draft choice was conditional, meaning it was contingent on how he played or if he played. And we know what happened with that. i was told it was a late-round pick in 2015, but that's probably off the board now. I don't believe the Steelers have any intention of bringing him back.

Renegade: Hi Gerry, If Ike doesn't agree to pay cut to say $3M max, is Ike cut? What about Troy at $10M? With Clark likely to be gone, it would be tough to replace 3/4 of secondary but soemthing must give, right?

Gerry Dulac: I agree. I don't think they are going to eradicate the secondary. But I think it's very reasonable to assume they could get rid of two players there, and the most likely candidates are Clark and Taylor. At the very least, the Steelers will ask Ike to take a big pay cut from the $8 million he is scheduled to make in 2014 (he counts ($11.8 million against the cap). If he cant' agree on the cut, he will go the way of James Harrison and be released. It's entirely possible they could release Ike and not re-sign Clark (a given), and ask Polamalu to take a pay cut. But, either way, you will see moves there. And why not? When you allow seven pass plays of 50+ yards, something is wrong and needs to be changed.

Gerry Dulac: Ok, kids, that's all the time we have today. save some of those good questions for next week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2qYQImaCl
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25445
Default Re: Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 1.15.14

I like his thoughs on FS via FA. I mentioned in another thread my thoughts on this and a possible name we could look at : ...just an opinion.

Quote:
Ryan Clark replacement?
Not the deepest selection for our price range, it’s not like Jarius Byrd is giving out any discounts due to his love of the Black and Gold.
With the Steelers history you can’t rule out FA Ryan Mundy, but over-looking that, the 2014 FA market has a gamble name in Darian Stewart (FS Rams). He came into the season as the Vet in their secondary after a house clearance the previous year. He’s had an up and down year and did start for a time, but after injuries and better play from a couple of younger guys, he sits on the bench.
Only 25, cheap, and experienced at both safety spots, maybe he could do with a fresh start? He’s a big physical guy and is known for being able to tackle….something missing in the current Steeler secondary.
tony hipchest (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
I like his thoughs on FS via FA. I mentioned in another thread my thoughts on this and a possible name we could look at : ...just an opinion.
Hmmm could be a Clark like signing. Would love it if we found a new Farrior or Clark in FA this year that is to say a young veteran under the radar.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

i like the thought of going after a safety in F/A! there are alot of younger guys that may not have gotten a fair shake on their respective team! nate allen, kendrick lewis, malcom jenkins, mike mitchell...all high draft picks(except lewis)! maybe even Danny McCray, Sergio Brown, Kurt Coleman or Taylor Mays!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarines View Post
i like the thought of going after a safety in F/A! there are alot of younger guys that may not have gotten a fair shake on their respective team! nate allen, kendrick lewis, malcom jenkins, mike mitchell...all high draft picks(except lewis)! maybe even Danny McCray, Sergio Brown, Kurt Coleman or Taylor Mays!
Yeah Emarines, I looked at those guys when I was thinking about this,

Mike Mitchell, Kendrick Lewis are starters on top D's don't think they'd come or come cheap.

Nate Allen, Danny McCray don't fit our FS role. imo.

Kurt Coleman is more expensive than DS and Philly have been moving him around.

Sergio Brown didn't know about

Taylor Mays I just don't like (lol). Think he's soft....NFL standard soft anyway.

Check out what Pro Focus has on these guys :
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...gent-safeties/

Darian Stewart isn't ranked very high BUT money, experience, age, and reputation as a tackler, plus the little I've seen him play, he's one of the few I think could be a legit shot at.
Rams prob don't chase him as they've started a 2013 draft pick over him now.

We could get a younger guy, at a decent price. Saving money to spend on Worilds or whoever.

Please look at the link, tell me what you think. The way I see it

We can't afford the top ten
We don't want a 30+
Take out the guys who've not got any snap counts, as you want an experinced guy going into the position.

There's only a handful that rank out higher than DS and just check out some game film.
emarines (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,044 Times in 970 Posts

Rob VD: My Question is a bit of a long one really. The concern is about the middle. I'm a fan of McClendon and hes good against the zone. do you think he'll stick there at NT or moved to DE? and is Williams the answer when Foote is done or will we be drafting there soon? Do you think they are unfairly to blame for the run troubles because of their lack of inexperience?

Gerry Dulac: Let me answer the last part of your question first. Yes, this defense lacked experience in the front seven when you consider that they started two rookies at linebacker -- Jarvis Jones and Vince Williams -- and had a first-year starter at nose tackle in McLendon. And, let's not forget, as good as he was, Cam Heyward was a first-year starter too. So 4 positions out of the front 7 were new guys or young guys. That's why it might be unfair to say those uys can't do the job. Year two should be different. I think it's premature to say McLendon can't be the nose tackle, but I dont' think there's any question they need to figure out of its him, the style he plays and what they need to do to correct the problem. And I like Vince Williams. I don't know if he's the long-term answer, but at the very least I think he showed he's has the potential to be a dependable player, a more than competent backup.

Another reason why we need to give McLendon more chances. We sucked against the run because of so many 1st year starters(2 rookies)

Last edited by BLACK_AND_YELLOW; 01-16-2014 at 12:46 PM.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I think if we let Ike go, we will have to go after a FA CB, can not count on a rookie draft to fill his spot, probably don't want Gay replacing him. None of the younger players are going to play opposite C Allen. I also think we can use W Allen and Shark to replace Clark with Shark taking over 100% by mid season, so looking to FA for S help just doesnt make sense to me. This will also allow us to draft a good S in the top three to eventually replace Troy. The only other spots spots to look to FA to are ILB, OLB and NT as everything else we should be fine in. OLB only if we are not able to resign Worilds (I think a 6/1 release of Woodley is a forgone conclusion). Picking up any of CB, ILB or NT in FA and we free up one of the first 3 picks for a WR. This makes the most sense to me anyway, fills our 4 biggest needs.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Black Gold
Bench Warmer

@Rotorhead, so you see Shark as a FS in our D? Imo I think he needs to be in the SS, if he works out I think it'll be as Troy's eventual successor. Imo we need a high safety replacement for Clark.
harrison'samonster (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I see him replacing Clark while Troy is still here with hopefully W Allen resigned as a backup. I think we draft a Safety either this year or at the latest next year to replace Troy. After that I don't know who will go where.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I don't know if people are forgetting or don't know but Worlids was hurt, ALOT, in his first few years. Not saying he got a great chance but that is the truth. Lewis was a mistake. We could have cut Ike, kept him and Allen and been pretty good at CB. Possibly draft a guy like Dennard and we would be looking really good. As it stands, who knows if we resign Allen and Ike is probably gone. What the heck will we do. Curtis Brown sucks and everyone else is a career back up.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post: