Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #21
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301
Default Re: Salary Cap (Over the Cap)

Designating Woodley a post Jun 1st cut counts
$5,590,000 against our cap in 2014
$8,580,000 against our cap in 2015
http://overthecap.com/explaining-the...t-designation/

This is money he already received so it costs the Steelers no additional funds.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
steelersfan299
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24619

Teach Jarvis Jones to play ILB, his weight is better to be a ILB rather than a OLB.
steelersfan299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
CheeseHeadSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24898

Maybe it's because I'm a Steelers fan, but I'm tired of this team being in such bad cap shape year after year. Using that salary cap link, I just looked at divisional playoff teams this year:
Denver- 11.6 mil under
49ers- 10.3 mil under
Chargers- 376k under
Colts- 37.1 mil under
Panthers- 16 mil under
Patriots- 7.6 mil under
Saints- 11.1 mil over
Seahawks- 5 mil under

Only the Saints are in a similar situation to the Steelers. This is going to be another off-season of hand ringing and hard cuts. It just gets so old knowing this team can't go after any free agents AGAIN this year..

And btw, division champion Bengals are 26.6 mil under, Browns are 50 mil under and Ravens are 12.5 under. While we try to figure out how to get under the cap, the other teams in the division have the opportunity to get better.
CheeseHeadSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CheeseHeadSteeler For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
JVip
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24397
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseHeadSteeler View Post
Maybe it's because I'm a Steelers fan, but I'm tired of this team being in such bad cap shape year after year. Using that salary cap link, I just looked at divisional playoff teams this year:
Denver- 11.6 mil under
49ers- 10.3 mil under
Chargers- 376k under
Colts- 37.1 mil under
Panthers- 16 mil under
Patriots- 7.6 mil under
Saints- 11.1 mil over
Seahawks- 5 mil under

Only the Saints are in a similar situation to the Steelers. This is going to be another off-season of hand ringing and hard cuts. It just gets so old knowing this team can't go after any free agents AGAIN this year..

And btw, division champion Bengals are 26.6 mil under, Browns are 50 mil under and Ravens are 12.5 under. While we try to figure out how to get under the cap, the other teams in the division have the opportunity to get better.
Those numbers are a bit skewed because we have no idea how many people make up the total salary. I know for a fact the ratbirds are in salary cap hell, they have 6 players accounting for 70 million of their cap space. They have 111 million of cap space used with only 37 players under contract. - I know this because I enjoy taunting Ravens fans on the DBMB I frequent.
JVip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JVip For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #25
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Denver- 11.6 mil under
49ers- 10.3 mil under
Chargers- 376k under
Colts- 37.1 mil under
Panthers- 16 mil under
Patriots- 7.6 mil under
Saints- 11.1 mil over
Seahawks- 5 mil under

It's the price you pay for being good for so long. Their were some mistakes made also but most of it was signing players that win.
harrison'samonster (01-11-2014), pczach (01-12-2014), teegre (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #26
CheeseHeadSteeler
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
It's the price you pay for being good for so long. Their were some mistakes made also but most of it was signing players that win.
I guess I don't buy that fully. The Patriots have been good for the last 13-14 years, yet never seem to end up in these situations. I live in Wisconsin, so I get a lot of Packer news, they're another team that has been successful for quite a while, yet they're 27 mil under.

I would just LOVE to go into the offseason once, knowing that this team could sign a free agent or two and didn't have to pull off some "magic" to get under the cap.

And JV, thanks for that little bit of info, that makes me very happy :) Stupid Ratbirds.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,637 Times in 7,861 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
I guess I don't buy that fully. The Patriots have been good for the last 13-14 years, yet never seem to end up in these situations. I live in Wisconsin, so I get a lot of Packer news, they're another team that has been successful for quite a while, yet they're 27 mil under.

I would just LOVE to go into the offseason once, knowing that this team could sign a free agent or two and didn't have to pull off some "magic" to get under the cap.

And JV, thanks for that little bit of info, that makes me very happy :) Stupid Ratbirds.
Instead of signing "outside" free agents, they re-sign "inside" free agents.

It's still free agents.

More importantly, since 2005...

Steelers: 2 Lombardis, 1 other appearance
NYGiants: 2 Lombardis
Colts: 1 Lombardi, 1 other appearance
Packers: 1 Lombardi
Saints: 1 Lombardi
Ravens: 1 Lombardi
Taperiots: 2 appearances
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
pczach (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,622 Times in 2,867 Posts

Quote:
Denver- 11.6 mil under
49ers- 10.3 mil under
Chargers- 376k under
Colts- 37.1 mil under
Panthers- 16 mil under
Patriots- 7.6 mil under
Saints- 11.1 mil over
Seahawks- 5 mil under

so in other words you want a rookie qb inst3ad of Ben. Good luck with that.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #29
CheeseHeadSteeler
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so in other words you want a rookie qb inst3ad of Ben. Good luck with that.
I never said that. Clearly, since I directly mentioned the Patriots and the Broncos in my post. I'm just trying to get my head around why the Steelers are always in cap trouble, when other successful teams are not. Is it stupid contracts? Is it overpaying only a few players (which looking at the salary list doesn't appear to be the problem overall)? Besides, when compared to other NFL QBs, Ben is around 11th (I think) in terms of pay.

I'm not fully understanding the quasi hostile responses towards my questions here.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,622 Times in 2,867 Posts

Quote:
I never said that. Clearly, since I directly mentioned the Patriots and the Broncos in my post. I'm just trying to get my head around why the Steelers are always in cap trouble, when other successful teams are not. Is it stupid contracts? Is it overpaying only a few players (which looking at the salary list doesn't appear to be the problem overall)? Besides, when compared to other NFL QBs, Ben is around 11th (I think) in terms of pay.

I'm not fully understanding the quasi hostile responses towards my questions here.
most of the teams you listed are on their rookie quarterback contracts. Me personally I get tired of the Patriots penis envy. They have 8 AFC Championship Game appearances since 2001. The Steelers and eagles have made it there 5 times. Over that span no other team has made it there more than three times. We are one of the most successful teams in the leaguedespite our supposed cap problems. I don't see what the problem is.