Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,548 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default Re: Kelvin Benjamin article

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Ouch , were those a combo of Manny / Sweed drops ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,044 Times in 8,038 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
That's why he shouldn't be a R1 pick.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Nearly every draft pundit has the top 5 receivers in this draft as Watkins, Evans, Lee, Benjamin, and Robinson. All are physicals players and have the size to boot. Just outside of these top five is Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt and having seen him a lot, I see a sure handed player that is not,(if any) behind these top five guys. Trouble is I am not the only one who sees this and I think he goes 2nd round at the worst and might sneak ahead of one or two of these other guys. My sleeper and after the combine I believe will be a big climber is Donte Moncrief. He is fast, big, physical. I think he has a great combine and will move into the 2nd round. His numbers this past year were not head turning but his QB had shoulder issues nearly all year and his team mate was the #1 receiver out of HS which took some targets away from him. I am on record as to liking both these guys but could only hope to get either one if they somehow drop to the 3rd round. But then why would the drop?
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-08-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #14
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That's why he shouldn't be a R1 pick.
I understand every receiver is going to have drops, Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins have had their fair share too, but it's just a bad sign when somebody can make a lowlight video of bad drops from just a single season of play. Benjamin is definitely promising but 15 would definitely be in "reach" territory unless he BLOWS UP the combine and has hands of glue in every practice/drill leading up to the draft.

I will give him credit for that catch the other night though, he came through when his team needed him most in the postseason, which is already more than Limas Sweed ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Nearly every draft pundit has the top 5 receivers in this draft as Watkins, Evans, Lee, Benjamin, and Robinson. All are physicals players and have the size to boot. Just outside of these top five is Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt and having seen him a lot, I see a sure handed player that is not,(if any) behind these top five guys. Trouble is I am not the only one who sees this and I think he goes 2nd round at the worst and might sneak ahead of one or two of these other guys. My sleeper and after the combine I believe will be a big climber is Donte Moncrief. He is fast, big, physical. I think he has a great combine and will move into the 2nd round. His numbers this past year were not head turning but his QB had shoulder issues nearly all year and his team mate was the #1 receiver out of HS which took some targets away from him. I am on record as to liking both these guys but could only hope to get either one if they somehow drop to the 3rd round. But then why would the drop?
Jordan Matthews is a motherfucking beast. I will never forget watching the Vanderbilt vs. Ole Miss game earlier this year when he kept getting pummeled and was puking on the sidelines and just kept coming into the game and making clutch catches. Easily the toughest wide receiver I have seen at any level of the game since Hines Ward, I just remember thinking "87 on Vanderbilt is a fucking man." He would be a first or second round pick easily if it weren't for the fact that this draft class is littered with physical freaks at WR and Jordan Matthews just doesn't meet that description. I'd love to have him but he seems a reach with our first or second round pick and will almost surely be gone by the 3rd comp pick. But man, I've just gotta give major respect to this dude wherever he goes.

EDIT: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...matthews-catch
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
I was reading that he also seems to drop passes more than what you would like to see from a guy who is supposed to be an elite talent. No doubt he looks like a physical specimen, BUT, do we all remember a guy we drafted in 2008 who was a tall, fast receiver who just could not hang onto the ball? I think we all do. I'm not comparing the two but when I hear that, I get leery. In my opinion, if Hageman is there, from what I've read, he would be the best choice. Just my opinion.
Thank you from saving me the time in typing this...
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,528 Times in 4,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
I was reading that he also seems to drop passes more than what you would like to see from a guy who is supposed to be an elite talent. No doubt he looks like a physical specimen, BUT, do we all remember a guy we drafted in 2008 who was a tall, fast receiver who just could not hang onto the ball? I think we all do. I'm not comparing the two but when I hear that, I get leery. In my opinion, if Hageman is there, from what I've read, he would be the best choice. Just my opinion.
It's interesting that you bring up Hageman. Ra'Shede is probably a bigger risk with a lower ceiling than Kelvin. Benjamin and Hageman are both physical and athletic freaks with the ability to be a game changer at their position, but the tape doesn't reflect that in the slightest for Hageman at this time. If we're looking for a guy that can come in and make an impact immediately for our defense, Ra'Shede is not going to be that guy. I can't stress that point enough. He absolutely needs a year, possibly two under his belt with John Mitchell before he's able to take over a significant role for this defense. That begs the question - do we have time to wait for him to develop? With our defensive line currently a huge question mark, I don't think we do.

This kid is going to get drafted higher than he should because of his physical attributes. Kelvin Benjamin is in the same boat, but in my mind, has a higher ceiling than Hageman currently does. I would be absolutely shocked if he was our first round pick.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - David DeCastro
C - Cody Wallace (while Velasco recovers)
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Marcus Gilbert

Trade Maurkice Pouncey for an EARLY 2nd round pick and you can mash the ball on the ground and fill the holes on D? I like this thought... The nwe don't have to worry about when does Pouncey get hurt or come out as the next gang member associated with AHernandez....
Old 01-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #18
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - David DeCastro
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Marcus Gilbert

Trade Maurkice Pouncey for an EARLY 2nd round pick and you can mash the ball on the ground and fill the holes on D? I like this thought... The nwe don't have to worry about when does Pouncey get hurt or come out as the next gang member associated with AHernandez....
I have no problem with this train of thought. Dolphins need OL and with his brother already on board I could see this happening.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,548 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
LT - Kelvin Beachum
LG - David DeCastro
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Marcus Gilbert

I'm thinking the same thing . Velasco and Wallace played well . POuncey's injury history and the fact that he prob wont resign after this year makes sense to get something out of him now when we could really use the extra pick . And Miami does make sense.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #20
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Quote:
Thank you from saving me the time in typing this...
You're welcome.
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote