Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989
Default My 1st mock of the year (1st rd only)

1. HOU- QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville
2. STL- OT Jake Matthews Texas A&M
3. JAX- QB Johnny Manziel Texas A&M
4. CLEV- QB Blake Bortles UCF
5. OAK- OLB Anthony Barr UCLA
6. ATL- Jadaveon Clowney South Carolina
7. TB- Mike Evans Texas A&M
8. MIN- QB Derek Carr Fresno State
9. BUF- LT Greg Robinson Auburn
10. DET- CB Darqueze Dennard Michigan State
11. TEN- FS Haha Clinton-Dix Alabama
12. NYG- CB Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State
13. STL- DT Ra'Shede Hagemann Minnesota
14. CHI- NT Louis Nix Notre Dame

....interesting

15. PIT WR Sammy Watkins Clemson

At 6'1 and 200 lbs Sammy gives you a bonafide offensive weapon for the remainder of Ben Roethlisbergers career assuming he gets an extension. Selecting Watkins here & signing him to a value contract of 5 yrs in length is why you do it. Allow Sanders to walk in free agency & save that $$$. You can now have Brown play more underneath with Watkins on the perimeter spreading the field, giving Ben a legit long ball threat in turn improving the run game. Watkins is also remarkable after the catch. He changes gears in a flash & would compliment the quick strike & YAC approach that coach Haley bases his offense on. He'd be a nightmare for any #2 corner in the NFL & could contribute from day one. He could use some polish as a route runner but he has great hands, incredible vision and after catch ability...he'd easily get 1000yds as a rookie & 6-8 scores. He could also take over the kick return game. If he's there...you have to take him.

Rankings and team boards will change wildly after the combine but I think the risers will be the top 2 CB's, Mike Evans, Khalil Mack, Greg Robinson (if he declares), Anthony Barr, and the QB's just because teams are desperate.

I'm not in the camp that thinks a 2 down NT will make a huge difference anymore or that an average OT will be any better than Beachum.

Thoughts?
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,226 Times in 3,471 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: My 1st mock of the year (1st rd only)

I don't really follow a lot of mocks, but it's interesting to see Manziel go before Bortles. I'd rather see Cleveland end up with Manziel personally. Also interesting to see you've got Clowney being picked 6th.

There is another NT I thought the Bears might be interested in, can't remember his name (tall guy weighing about 311).

I can't argue against your pick for the Steelers. I believe that a NT could be a good pick for us in the 1st, but whichever way the Steelers go, it looks like we could end up with a solid player!
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
devin7558 (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,092 Times in 8,062 Posts
My Mood: Dead

There is no way that I could ever see Watkins dropping to 15.

If he did, the Steelers would make that pick faster than they did for David DeCastro and/or for Jarvis Jones.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-10-2014), Sharkissle29 (01-12-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I would die for Sammy Watkins at this point but he won't make it out of the top 10 and maybe not even the top 5. Not after that bowl game. Especially with Tampa, Detroit, Buffalo, St. Louis, and the Giants all with holes at receiver and drafting before us.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
devin7558 (01-10-2014), harrison'samonster (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
devin7558
Bench Warmer

I agree but I think a lot of buzz will deflect away from him post combine. Buffalo spent 2nd and 3rd rd picks on WR's last season and need protection for EJ Manuel. St. Louis has a nicked up o-line and will need tackle help at one of their two picks, Detroit doesn't have to have a top WR to play second fiddle to megatron and this is a deep deep WR draft. I see them going secondary because they ranked bottom 5 all year against the pass. The giants need defense badly and protection help as well unless they can't keep Hakeem nicks. With no Nicks I could see them jumping on Watkins. Hard to say at this point.

I agree it could be a long shot but Sammy hit his pinnacle early in the process with that bowl game. His measurables at the combine will just confirm what scouts already knew. He's fast. There are going to be some huge risers post combine.
harrison'samonster (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't really follow a lot of mocks, but it's interesting to see Manziel go before Bortles. I'd rather see Cleveland end up with Manziel personally. Also interesting to see you've got Clowney being picked sixth!
I think the GM in Jax is a "play it his way kind of guy." He flat out ignored Tebow as an in state popularity pick up and has a plan. I don't think he'd just take Bortles because he's a Florida guy too. Personally I think they should take Barr or Clowney with that pick and grab a falling QB early second round. But if they go QB Johnny has shot up boards and is even being talked about as #1 to HOU since he's a Texan. I think the combine may settle that down but he's probably not making it out of the top 4 and I see him moving ahead of Bortles.

I think if the Raiders commit to a 3-4D that Barr is one of the best pure pass rushers in a long while. Clowney needs to be in a traditional 4-3 with his hand in the dirt. I think a lot of scouts have soured on Clowney a bit. If I had a big board he'd be #1 on mine.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't really follow a lot of mocks, but it's interesting to see Manziel go before Bortles. I'd rather see Cleveland end up with Manziel personally. Also interesting to see you've got Clowney being picked 6th.

There is another NT I thought the Bears might be interested in, can't remember his name (tall guy weighing about 311).

I can't argue against your pick for the Steelers. I believe that a NT could be a good pick for us in the 1st, but whichever way the Steelers go, it looks like we could end up with a solid player!
I've seen Clowney go as far down as 14th
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
smpavs83
Water Boy

Member Number: 18376

I like Watkins but think he will be gone by the Steelers pick. If we get a WR with the 15th pick and Watkins isn't there, I also like Kelvin Benjamin and Mike Evans. Ben hasn't had a young 6'4+ receiver to throw to since early in his career with Plax, which they had a very good connection. Although we may not get a WR until the 2nd round (may go defense in the 1st) and if thats the case, I like Allen Robinson out of Penn St.
smpavs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smpavs83 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

I Watkins is available at 15, no brainer. In all reality though, a guy like CJ Mosley should be available and would make an excellent pick. I've read an article on his off-field life, growing up, etc... and he has Steelers written all over him. Can you imagine Timmons and Mosley in the middle of the defense, man!
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
devin7558
Bench Warmer

I'm a fan of Moseley, Mack, Clinton-Dix, Dennard and Gilbert if it's a first rd pick on D. The team has so many needs that no matter what they're going to take BPA. Someone has to fall. Might be Watkins. Many scouts prefer Evans ability to high point the ball and play physical.

I'd be in no way disappointed if Moseley came to town. I'm still impressed with Vince Williams though...and would be intrigued to see how far Spence has come back from injury...