Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #21
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default Re: Harbargh slightly over the white line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Exactly.
An infraction that EVERY coach commits, but ONLY the Steelers' coach is lambasted for.

If Harbaugh gets a fine, then all is well. If he doesn't, then it's favoritism.
as mentioned in above post,

We all know its not the same, Tomlin gets nailed for it because it messed with a play.. Harbaugh or any other coach can stand on the logo and wont get called as long as it doesnt mess with a player while the play is going on.

putting my shades on cause its bright with homers in here

Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #22
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,333 Times in 6,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
as mentioned in above post,

We all know its not the same, Tomlin gets nailed for it because it messed with a play.. Harbaugh or any other coach can stand on the logo and wont get called as long as it doesnt mess with a player while the play is going on.

[
By your rationale, if Tomlin didn't mess with the play, then it's fine for him to stand there.

He didn't touch the referee... nor Jacoby Jones. So...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-14-2014), harrison'samonster (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,614 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Looks like a live play to me...
he was in position to prevent a pick 6 incase something went awry on that play
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-14-2014), harrison'samonster (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
he was in position to prevent a pick 6 incase something went awry on that play
I know that you were joking, but it's an excellent point.

If Carolina intercepts the ball, Harbaugh would be in direct line of the returner. The odds are slim that Harbaugh would actually be in the way, but it "could" happen.

Likewise, when Tomlin was on the field, the odds were slim that Jacoby Jones would be angling at that exact spot, but it did happen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-14-2014), EbonySteel86 (01-13-2014), harrison'samonster (01-13-2014), SteelCityMom (01-14-2014), steelfury02 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #25
ebsteelers
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
By your rationale, if Tomlin didn't mess with the play, then it's fine for him to stand there.

He didn't touch the referee... nor Jacoby Jones. So...
yeah if tomlin is standing there, and the play is 20 yards down field.. you dont need to touch a player or ref to mess with a play.

having to jump out of the way when a player is next to year is a bit different harbaugh standing on the 25 or 30 yard line. Plus Tomlin wasnt even looking at the play at least harbaugh had is eyes on the field.. (covers if there was a pick 6)

The 2 things are different. no matter how much of a homer, you, me or anyone want to be about it. is it fair? probably not, but they are different and it is what it is.

Another thing Tomlin had been hand-picked by Roger Goodell to the league’s prestigious competition committee just six months before Tomlin amateurishly interfered with Jacoby Jones’ kickoff return in Pittsburgh’s 22-20 loss.

Is it fair Coach Tomlin and the Steelers are held to a higher standard? No but I'd much rather be held to a higher standard then be expected to act like a jerk off
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
ebsteelers
Living Legend

love this picture
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
teegre (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #27
ebsteelers
Living Legend

The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #28
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 6,058 Times in 2,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
These instances aren't comparable...

Tomlin had a foot in the field of play during a live play
Harbaugh ran out well after the play was over
You mean when both teams are running personnel out onto the field, and the refs are supposed to be watching for illegal substitution, resetting the play clock, delay of game, timeouts called, spotting the ball, making sure it is the correct down, etc...? He also delayed a possible review of the play.

He also looked like he was going to tackle the ref. Not exactly proper form.

It could very well have impacted the game..........a playoff game.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-14-2014), harrison'samonster (01-13-2014), Lady Steel (01-13-2014), SteelCityMom (01-14-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #29
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
what the heck is going on with Steeler nation here? we sound like a bunch of whiney 10 year olds.. Dont try and compare Tomlins play to Harbaughs... I am sure you can find film of plenty of coaches do what Jimmy did when a play is going on in the end zone. If they say they dont they are probably lying... No ref was even standing near Harbaugh when the play was going on.

Tomlin was picking his butt while Jacoby was near him.. Its really completely different situations..

There was still a 15 yard flag when he went all Michael Johnson and sprinted on the field.
I honestly had no problem with the fine Tomlin received. I DO have a problem with the fact that a draft pick is STILL being held over the team's head for it, despite the fact that the Steelers lost the game and both teams in question missed the postseason anyway. And one of those teams missed the postseason largely because of a series of officiating "oversights" that were even worse than the one Blandino mentioned when they failed to flag Tomlin on Thanksgiving night. Funny I don't continue to keep hearing about that weeks later.

The fact is, Goodell's office only gives a fuck about discipline when the media pitches a big enough bitch about something. And then they administer discipline that is completely arbitrary and usually excessive because of it. THAT is my beef. I'm sick of the NFL being legislated by proxy by the goddamned media.

And I can't wait for the Rooneys to appeal the loss of a draft pick only for the appeal to be shot down by Goodell himself in his kangaroo court.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-13-2014), ebsteelers (01-14-2014), harrison'samonster (01-13-2014), Lady Steel (01-13-2014), SteelCityMom (01-14-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #30
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
yeah if tomlin is standing there, and the play is 20 yards down field.. you dont need to touch a player or ref to mess with a play.

having to jump out of the way when a player is next to year is a bit different harbaugh standing on the 25 or 30 yard line. Plus Tomlin wasnt even looking at the play at least harbaugh had is eyes on the field.. (covers if there was a pick 6)

The 2 things are different. no matter how much of a homer, you, me or anyone want to be about it. is it fair? probably not, but they are different and it is what it is.

Another thing Tomlin had been hand-picked by Roger Goodell to the league’s prestigious competition committee just six months before Tomlin amateurishly interfered with Jacoby Jones’ kickoff return in Pittsburgh’s 22-20 loss.

Is it fair Coach Tomlin and the Steelers are held to a higher standard? No but I'd much rather be held to a higher standard then be expected to act like a jerk off
1. Goodell came out and ruled that Tomlin had no business being in the white stripe... for any reason. Goodell stated that all coaches & players have to be behind that line... no matter what... in case of fluke plays.

Fluke plays... you know: like Jacoby Jones returning a kick-off... or an INT return by a Carolina defender.

1-a. The Steelers had not allowed a return past the 40 all season. So, an INT return by Carolina was just as possible as Jacoby Jones running right at the exact spot where Tomlin was standing.

2. Tomlin was indeed watching the play. Many coaches watch the kick returns on the jumbo torn, because it gives them a better view of the play.

3. What happened on the play is different, despite what an educated person says or not. But, as Goodell stated, the fine was being past the white stripe AT ALL. And, if that is indeed why Tomlin was fined $100,000... then all coaches should be held accountable for the same rules.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-14-2014), ebsteelers (01-14-2014), harrison'samonster (01-13-2014), pczach (01-14-2014), SteelCityMom (01-14-2014)