Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #101
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Re: Again...Bettis NOT a Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Fans scoff at big steady backs in the first quarter. They point to their shiny back with the blazing speed who "can break one any minute", and they mock a guy like Bettis. But he doesn't lose yardage, which means the team has fewer 3rd and longs. Drives continue.

About halfway through the third quarter, the opposing linebackers realize they have these big marks on their biceps and their back hurts, like they've been carrying bags of concrete all day. They wanna go rest up, but they still have a quarter to go, and it's a close game. They start bracing themselves for the impact of the big back coming through the line, and they lean forward more than they should. Defensive ends are tired from being leaned on all day, not just by the 320 pound lineman they are lined up across from, but by the 250 pound fullback and 300 pound back with the ball. Their legs get rubbery. Defensive backs get hollered at by their position coaches because they're cheating, going for the legs and not sticking the tackle, so the back keeps getting those 4 yard carries. It's not spectacular...yet.

Then the team with the 300 pound back gets the lead. They need the ball back. There's 6 minutes left on the clock. They know the opponent wants to run the ball, like most teams do, but they're freakin' exhausted. Ten more truckloads of concrete to unload, and they can't feel their arms. Dive up the middle for four on first down. The opposing fans scream at them to stop the run. Why can't they stop the run? Everyone knows it's coming! Stop them! Stop them! Another five yard run. Clock is ticking. It's 3rd and 1. The fans scream for them to hold, but the front seven is gassed. They're calling for replacements on 3rd and 1. The fans scream, what is going on!?!?! The 300 pound back runs at the line and all he has to do is lean on the back of his lineman, and it's another 1st down. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. 2 minute warning.

Yeah, it ain't spectacular in the first quarter, but those last ten minutes, when the opponent is helpless? That's every bit as spectacular as that speedy back's 67 yarder that took 5 seconds and has his defense right back on the field. And all those drives killed by the lost yardage.

No, he didn't break off enough long runs to generate the yardage a guy like Emmitt Smith did, but I'd vote him in. I'd vote him in BECAUSE HE WAS SPECTACULAR. Maybe not in the way most fans see it. But an athlete who wears out the opponent to the point of making them helpless, belongs in the HOF.
Dude... this was fucking poetic!

Get some narration by one of the current VO guys (Ed Harris, Tom Selleck, Donald Sutherland...) with some NFL films music and shots/video of Campbell/Bus/Fridge and it would be short worthy.

NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-21-2014), teegre (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #102
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,975 Times in 8,008 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
That clip would have been perfect without that stupid ass song.
Imagine that hi light clip with Ke$ha playing. Woo-ha!!!

Wait...

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #103
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,496 Times in 548 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
That clip would have been perfect without that stupid ass song.
Yeah, we need more 1970's/1980's yinzer rock with our Stillers highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Imagine that hi light clip with Ke$ha playing. Woo-ha!!!

Wait...

When I hear Ke$ha, I imagine some drunk sorority girl trying to rap.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
teegre (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #104
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Never did anything spectacular? WOW you are kidding right?
If watching him play didnt get you excited then you must have not been watching at all!
Trust me, I agree with you. There was nothing more awesome than watching Bettis grind it out in the 4th quarter. Another poster put it better than I think anyone probably ever has.

However, we are talking about the Hall of Fame as it stands today. 30 or 20 years ago Bettis would have been in on the 1st ballot. The days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust are gone. The running back is not the premier position it used to be due to the evolution of the passing game and the short life span of the position, and I think only the best of the best backs in this era are going to make it in.

What the Patriots did a couple weeks ago against the Colts is the exception, not the norm. I prefer the running game and always will, but it is not the priority in todays game. The Steelers have been wanting to get back to the running game being the focal point of the offense now for the last 5 years and still haven't quite got it down yet.

As I said, I think he will get in eventually. Hopefully this year but I won't be surprised or mad if he didn't.

The Hall of Fame will at some point be littered by players that show up consistently on the highlight reel putting up huge numbers. Players that can light it up at any moment. The NFL wants excitement these days, and it is mostly just us older hard heads that were more excited by the big guy plodding forward for 3 yards every time he got the ball. That excites the purist, but not the average casual fan that the NFL wants to cater to.

I blame fantasy football.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lipps83 For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #105
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,975 Times in 8,008 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

When I hear Ke$ha, I imagine some drunk sorority girl trying to rap.
That is EXACTLY what she is.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote