Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #91
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Nose Tackle To Need with New NFL

I would go skill position, Evans of Dennard of they are there, but Nix wouldn't be a bad pick. We have some sembelence of a NT in Mclendon and Fangpo. If Hood goes and Mclendon becomes a DE, that would change this point. Nix would be a need. Just please no Olineman in the first few rounds. First time I've said that in many years!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
emarines (01-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #92
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,636 Times in 8,598 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Every facet of the game is important, there is no denying that. My main issue with drafting another DL high stems from the allocation of our resources. Its not a smart business strategy to keep making safe investments (1st and 2nd round picks) in the same positions over and over again. There needs to be diversification in the "Defensive Line Portfolio". Start making riskier investments in the DL (mid-late round picks) and hope they pan out. In the meantime, start making safer investments in positions that you haven't for awhile, such as WR, S, and CB. Three first round picks in a single position group over the course of 6 years is crazy is crazy to me. Take a flier on someone later and coach them up.

And it's not like having better secondary play can't in turn help out our run defense. Having a stud corner will allow us to bring more players in the box with less risk of getting beat by the pass. Having a stud back end safety will allow troy to play in the box like he was almost exclusively this year, only hrd be playing safety and not ILB.

Everything in football works off each other, and I'm sure you know that. You're a smart guy.
I'd like a NT, CB, & FS.

I think that a lot of us agree that those three positions need to be improved... some of us want the NT first, while others want the secondary addressed first.

The reason I'd like the NT first, is because a) imo NT is the key to a defense, and b) there's really only one true NT in this draft (whereas, there are about eight very good CBs). If I could get Kris Jenkins in R2 (as opposed to Casey Hampton in R1), I would be fine with that.

PHILOSOPHIES

My philosophy is simple: draft O-line & D-line.

Your philosophy is reminiscent of the Steelers of the 90s. Those defenses rocked, because the secondary was sick. In turn, they could play eight men in the box and/or blitz like crazy. (Note: They also had Joel Steed in the middle, but that's not really the point of this paragraph). So, I get it. If you can shut down receivers w/ just your CBs (& your FS), you're going to be able to get coverage sacks and/or stuff the run.

You'd prefer: CB, FS... and then, NT.
I'd prefer: NT... and then CB & FS.

Not so different.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
CNEW (01-18-2014), emarines (01-19-2014), harrison'samonster (01-18-2014), kan_t (01-19-2014), The_Joker (01-18-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #93
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

The 2.25 when McClendon is in there is very deceiving. He is on the field on short yardage plays where we were ineffective. He gets blown off allowing offenses to concert but only get a yard.
harrison'samonster (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #94
Branthrax
Water Boy

Member Number: 25724

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Just please no Olineman in the first few rounds. First time I've said that in many years!
Agreed. We can find some bodies in the mid to late rounds. The front seven and secondary are a much more imminent need for this football team at the moment.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #95
Daddymac10
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25201

Whatever we do, it's vital for us to get rid of all our overpaid old players & replace them with young fresh talent. The payoff is younger players are faster and cheaper. Players that should go is Bret Keisel, Troy Palamalu, Ike Taylor, and Ryan Clark because their best days are long gone. We have too many holes to fill to waste a pick at NT when we already got Fangupo...
Daddymac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #96
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,175 Times in 615 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Ok Maybe not the "New" NFL but the NFL right now.

Three of the 4 teams left are where they based on how well their RUNNING games are (NE, SEA & SF)

In a passing league, if you can't run the ball, you can't win. (just look at us, we didnt start winning until we started running, even with Ben's great year)

With that being said, we now need to be able to STOP the run.

We did not have a run stuffing NT this yar and our entire defense suffered.

In my opinion NIX is the guy
I think Nix is too tall and plays too high to be a NT in the NFL. It was fine in college, but he's built more like a 4-3 DT. He wouldn't have the leverage like Big Snack had. He doesn't have that huge ass that anchors him in place against double teams.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #97
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac10 View Post
Whatever we do, it's vital for us to get rid of all our overpaid old players & replace them with young fresh talent. The payoff is younger players are faster and cheaper. Players that should go is Bret Keisel, Troy Palamalu, Ike Taylor, and Ryan Clark because their best days are long gone. We have too many holes to fill to waste a pick at NT when we already got Fangupo...
Getting rid of all of them only creates more holes.
CNEW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #98
Daddymac10
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25201

Understood but all of them make too much money with little production and they're all very old. We just gotta find a way to move on. Keeping these old players will not financially help the team. When I watch Seattle & 49ers defense play & compare them to ours, I'm so pissed-off because I know we will never be on their level unless we get younger and faster...
Daddymac10 is offline   Reply With Quote