Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #21
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679
Default Re: Nose Tackle To Need with New NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
When did Casey Hampton ever positively add to our pass rush? The answer is never.
Haha he did get a sack in Super Bowl 40

But seriously I think most of his coaches and teammates would disagree with you, Hampton himself wasn't a dominant pass rusher, but he was elite at his position and ate up bodies, giving the LBs a better chance to rush
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikegrimey For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-15-2014), PeckerWood (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
When did Casey Hampton ever positively add to our pass rush? The answer is never.
Big day for the big man! Pittsburgh's 6'1" 325-pound nosetackle--a guy coach Bill Cowher calls "a rock in the middle of the defense"--had his first sack of the season on Super Sunday, stunting a Seahawks drive.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6208/index.htm
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #23
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Big day for the big man! Pittsburgh's 6'1" 325-pound nosetackle--a guy coach Bill Cowher calls "a rock in the middle of the defense"--had his first sack of the season on Super Sunday, stunting a Seahawks drive.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6208/index.htm
I'm sure that was somehow the refs' doing too...

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #24
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,295 Times in 894 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I'm sure that was somehow the refs' doing too...

Yep. So was the record setting Parker run, the Randle-El TD to Hines Ward, the 3rd and 28 conversion, the two missed field goals, the interception, and the awful clock management.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #25
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989

McClendon is signed for 2 more years at a fixed cap. If they think moving him to end is a permanent solution and that Nix is better than McClendon from the get go year 1, then they will draft him. You could do worse than Nix. He a solid character guy but injury worries me and so does his steep drop off in production from 2012 to 2013.

But make no mistake...he is not even close to what Hampton brought to this defense. We will not relive that kind of success and its unfair to a prospect like Nix to be brought in under those expectations.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,256 Posts

IRISH CHOCOLATE
Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin7558 View Post
McClendon is signed for 2 more years at a fixed cap. If they think moving him to end is a permanent solution and that Nix is better than McClendon from the get go year 1, then they will draft him. You could do worse than Nix. He a solid character guy but injury worries me and so does his steep drop off in production from 2012 to 2013.

But make no mistake...he is not even close to what Hampton brought to this defense. We will not relive that kind of success and its unfair to a prospect like Nix to be brought in under those expectations.
I agree its unfair to expect it but we dont know what he will bring.

But

We dont know that. He hasnt even stepped on the field yet. Why cant we relive that kind of success? Why cant he be like Hampton? Nix has good size, big space eater.
I dont think its fair to expect Casey but its also not fair to expect a dud.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #28
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,069 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
We can move McClendon outside to an End. It worked for Seals, Buckner, Von Olhoffen, Heyward. All were NT in college or in the NFL that moved outside and were productive.

any chance I can mention Buckner and Seals I will.
Hayward was a DE who played some DT in a 4-3 defense or DE when the Buckeyes lined up in a 3-4 defense. was projected as a 3-4 DE out of college
Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
PeckerWood
Team President

Quote:
People are way overvaluing the NT based on our rush defense slipping for one season. Its documented in hard statiatical fact that with McClendon in at NT the team gave up 2.26 ypc. Well below league average.

The team was forced into way more Nickel this season when McClendon was forced off the field. The average went way up from there. Well near 4.7 ypc.

Moral of the story? McClendon is excellent at plugging up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs. We got victimized on pass heavy formations when he had to come off the field.

Losing the signal caller for your defense and breaking in rookie ILB's is a major part of the break down in run D. For what its worth, Hood was the worst individual graded out against the run.

I do not see NT as a need unless Al Woods walks in FA. DL is a need overall but that is it.
Steelers were playing a rookie ILB could also have something to do with the drop in run defense.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
PeckerWood
Team President

Quote:
People are way overvaluing the NT based on our rush defense slipping for one season. Its documented in hard statiatical fact that with McClendon in at NT the team gave up 2.26 ypc. Well below league average.

The team was forced into way more Nickel this season when McClendon was forced off the field. The average went way up from there. Well near 4.7 ypc.

Moral of the story? McClendon is excellent at plugging up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs. We got victimized on pass heavy formations when he had to come off the field.

Losing the signal caller for your defense and breaking in rookie ILB's is a major part of the break down in run D. For what its worth, Hood was the worst individual graded out against the run.

I do not see NT as a need unless Al Woods walks in FA. DL is a need overall but that is it.
still think the Steelers pick the best S or DB in the first round. which in my opinion is the bigger need.