Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461
Default Re: Steelers by Position, we talk D-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
Doubt we go DB in the first

ILB...I have no problem paring CJ Mosley with Timmons
with williams improving through the year and spence make a full recovery from the knee surgery...i doubt we see an ilb! BUT...if they evaluate spence and he is not ready...it is a good possibility for an early ilb ...mosley...maybe skov later on!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
emarines
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbsteeler View Post
If they re-sign Woods and Hood then they're drafting Mike Evans, a DB or ILB. It's that simple. They have Arnfelt and Nick Williams in the wings. I saw
woods and hood are nothing more that relief! arnfelt and williams are projects! none of these guys have been proven to be effective! i would be more content bringing back kiesel for a year! then draft an end early and let him learn behind kiesel! if the steelers draft nix...then they kick mcclendon out on the end! if the steelersare happy with mcclendon at dt and decide to draft a db in the first...i pray they are smart enough to come back around in the second to get a defensive end to relieve mr. hood of his duties!!!!

Last edited by emarines; 01-16-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarines View Post
i cant remember in which post i said this in...but if nix is not the guy...and the steelers want to give mcclendon and woods another shot...so be it!!! but...they will then need to go with an end early...like tuitt, hageman or brown in the second! trust me...i would be fine with any three of those guys!!!!
Woods is not the answer at NT.

Al Woods played on the same D line at LSU as Tyson Jackson, Ricky Jean-Francois and Marlon Favorite. He is no rookie that is just coming into his own, he is a guy that has been around for a while that was a 3 technique and is better suited to a 5 tech in the Steelers defense.

Al Woods is as much the long term answer at NT as Chris Hoke was. A great guy to have in the D line rotation, but not the force that will command a double team block the majority of the time.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
emarines
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Al Woods played on the same D line at LSU as Tyson Jackson, Ricky Jean-Francois and Marlon Favorite. He is no rookie that is just coming into his own, he is a guy that has been around for a while that was a 3 technique and is better suited to a 5 tech in the Steelers defense.

Al Woods is as much the long term answer at NT as Chris Hoke was. A great guy to have in the D line rotation, but not the force that will command a double team block the majority of the time.
thank you!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

They can get a decent NT at 2 or 3....they need a good cover DB #1 , especially in this pass happy NFL
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKAnthem For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (01-17-2014), harrison'samonster (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

The Steelers were something like 18-1 with Hoke starting. You never know until you give these guys long term PT. Just like James Harrision. No one was certain about him when they cut Joey Porter. Don't count a guy out until you see him play extended minutes.

Alot of people were down on Cam Heyward too, until he got extended PT then poof(magic) he's a monster. Same with Keenan Lewis.

So saying Woods, someone whose shown promise, isn't a long term solution is short sided. If the guy has improved every year, give him a workload and see what happens. If they re-sign Woods and Hood you can forget about Nix being drafted. Book it.

Draft Mike Evans or a DB.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
The Steelers were something like 18-1 with Hoke starting. You never know until you give these guys long term PT. Just like James Harrision. No one was certain about him when they cut Joey Porter. Don't count a guy out until you see him play extended minutes.

Alot of people were down on Cam Heyward too, until he got extended PT then poof(magic) he's a monster. Same with Keenan Lewis.

So saying Woods, someone whose shown promise, isn't a long term solution is short sided. If the guy has improved every year, give him a workload and see what happens. If they re-sign Woods and Hood you can forget about Nix being drafted. Book it.

Draft Mike Evans or a DB.
If they re sign Woods and Hood, they can still draft a NT. Woods is a DE that had to play NT. Wanting to play a DE at NT is "short sighted" (not short sided )

I first noticed Al Woods in 2008 when he played at LSU and thought he would be a good DE prospect for the Steelers, I still think he can be a guy that rotates in, or possibly starts at DE, but if we continue to play DE's at NT....teams will continue to run inside on us.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760

All I see from Louis Nix is him getting blown off the ball and pursuing plays that are across the field. And making "aww shucks" gestures after he can't make a play. Alabama made plays all day on that d-line.

In the championship game you hear Brent Musberger say "Big Nix finally shows up!". NO way in hell will the Steelers draft Louis Nix.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
All I see from Louis Nix is him getting blown off the ball and pursuing plays that are across the field. And making "aww shucks" gestures after he can't make a play. Alabama made plays all day on that d-line.

In the championship game you hear Brent Musberger say "Big Nix finally shows up!". NO way in hell will the Steelers draft Louis Nix.
I thought he said "T'eo's girlfriend finally showed up"
Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

How good would AB, Evans, Wheaton, Cocth, Moye and Justin Brown be as a top 5 WR's. I know, some unknown quantities but the 1st 4 we know are solid and the other 2 have promise.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-18-2014)