Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #31
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607
Default Re: The Polar Vortex returns next week

I think right about now, I could use some global warming!
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-26-2014), JonM229 (01-26-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #32
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,046 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

this is something you don't see to much in my neck of the woods, if it is like this in Atlanta I can imagine what you damn Yankee's are going through.

that is why when I go back to the homeland I go in the summer time.

the thing I like about the south is a little snow and I don't have to go to work.

it is now beer thirty.

stay warm my friends.
harrison'samonster (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post

this is something you don't see to much in my neck of the woods, if it is like this in Atlanta I can imagine what you damn Yankee's are going through.

that is why when I go back to the homeland I go in the summer time.

the thing I like about the south is a little snow and I don't have to go to work.

it is now beer thirty.

stay warm my friends.
Started snowing in north Atlanta around noon - no more than 1 to 2 inches in Atlanta but schools let out early afternoon around the same time everyone bailed from work so traffic has been a total cluster since then

Below freezing now and going into the teens tonight so roads will be an icy mess in the morning

My main concern is the snow freezing to my satellite dish on the roof and blocking the signal
Buddha Bus (01-29-2014), harrison'samonster (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #34
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,546 Times in 2,357 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

great, now peyton manning is gonna lose this game and blame it on the polar vortex

maybe it's time for roger goodell to invoke the 'polar vortex rule', which awards manning a completed pass if he throws the ball anywhere within 5 yards of a receiver.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-29-2014), Lady Steel (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #35
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

It's the Southern Snowpocalypse in Atlanta

It started snowing around noon yesterday and they did not close the schools until around then, which resulted in everyone leaving work and the school buses hitting the road at once - then the fun started

Spokesperson for the Georgia Department of Transportation breaks down in tears

It’s a horrible, horrible, horrible situation for people who are stuck out there,” said Barron, her eyes filling with tears. “I sit there and think about the mothers whose children are stuck in school buses… But people need to understand our folks are working as tedious as they can. This is a really hard situation for everybody.”

This report from I-75/I-85 that goes through the center of downtown

Matthew Miller spent part of his Wednesday morning handing out food and drinks to motorists stranded on the Downtown Connector.

“Traffic was stopped all night so I just came out to give out some free food and hot drinks,” said Miller, who was dispensing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, various cereals and hot chocolate.

“I saw on Facebook that people had been out here for 18 hours and were complaining of being hungry and thirsty and just thought I would try to help out any way I could,” Miller said.

Emmett Johnson has seen a lot from his makeshift lean-to overlooking the Downtown Connector, but he’s never seen a night like this.

“When I went to sleep (around 11 p.m.) no one was moving,” said Johnson, camped out on a embankment off the Freedom Parkway northbound ramp.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/g...commute/nc53m/

Hundreds of stranded metro Atlanta students survived the wintry conditions Tuesday night by seeking shelter in schools and buses as traffic-clogged roads became impassible with hardening ice.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/i...schools/nc58R/

As usual the politicians response was to lie and blame the weatherman

Gov. Nathan Deal, who opened a late-night press conference on Tuesday with this: “As you know, we have been confronted with an unexpected storm that has hit the metropolitan area.”...

Ummm - no - this response from a UGA prof who is president of the American Meteorological Society

Watches and Warnings were issued in advance of the snow event and with plenty of time for decisions to be made. Here is text directly from the National Weather Service website on MONDAY at 4:55 am:

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON…

One observation that has become apparent to me is that the public and perhaps some policy officials may not fully understand that a Watch, Warning, or Advisory has very specific meanings. They are not just generic “hey, be on alert” or “hey, get ready” warnings.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/01...ong-and-wrong/

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-29-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-29-2014), PeckerWood (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,836 Times in 2,133 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

They call that a snowstorm?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-29-2014), harrison'samonster (01-29-2014), Lady Steel (01-29-2014), MACH1 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #37
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,046 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It's the Southern Snowpocalypse in Atlanta

It started snowing around noon yesterday and they did not close the schools until around then, which resulted in everyone leaving work and the school buses hitting the road at once - then the fun started

Spokesperson for the Georgia Department of Transportation breaks down in tears

It’s a horrible, horrible, horrible situation for people who are stuck out there,” said Barron, her eyes filling with tears. “I sit there and think about the mothers whose children are stuck in school buses… But people need to understand our folks are working as tedious as they can. This is a really hard situation for everybody.”

This report from I-75/I-85 that goes through the center of downtown

Matthew Miller spent part of his Wednesday morning handing out food and drinks to motorists stranded on the Downtown Connector.

“Traffic was stopped all night so I just came out to give out some free food and hot drinks,” said Miller, who was dispensing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, various cereals and hot chocolate.

“I saw on Facebook that people had been out here for 18 hours and were complaining of being hungry and thirsty and just thought I would try to help out any way I could,” Miller said.

Emmett Johnson has seen a lot from his makeshift lean-to overlooking the Downtown Connector, but he’s never seen a night like this.

“When I went to sleep (around 11 p.m.) no one was moving,” said Johnson, camped out on a embankment off the Freedom Parkway northbound ramp.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/g...commute/nc53m/

Hundreds of stranded metro Atlanta students survived the wintry conditions Tuesday night by seeking shelter in schools and buses as traffic-clogged roads became impassible with hardening ice.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/i...schools/nc58R/

As usual the politicians response was to lie and blame the weatherman

Gov. Nathan Deal, who opened a late-night press conference on Tuesday with this: “As you know, we have been confronted with an unexpected storm that has hit the metropolitan area.”...

Ummm - no - this response from a UGA prof who is president of the American Meteorological Society

Watches and Warnings were issued in advance of the snow event and with plenty of time for decisions to be made. Here is text directly from the National Weather Service website on MONDAY at 4:55 am:

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON…

One observation that has become apparent to me is that the public and perhaps some policy officials may not fully understand that a Watch, Warning, or Advisory has very specific meanings. They are not just generic “hey, be on alert” or “hey, get ready” warnings.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/01...ong-and-wrong/

this area screws up every time they get this type of weather.

knew the temp. high would be around 32degrees snow coming or might be coming to your area and you know they don't have enough salt trucks to treat the roads or want to spend the money to treat the roads just in case. water freezes at 32 degrees add in the wind chill wet roads at that temp equals icy roads. easy for me just stay home that is what we did.

feel bad for the people who got stranded in their cars, at work or at school. everybody got on the roads at the same time and when they did leave to go home it was already to late.

temperature is only 25 degrees now. back up in the 50s Friday.
harrison'samonster (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #38
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

Wish I could stay home for a dusting of snow. .

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-29-2014), harrison'samonster (01-29-2014), JonM229 (01-29-2014), Lady Steel (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #39
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post

Wish I could stay home for a dusting of snow. .
When I first moved here I used to bitch about Southerners not knowing how to handle a little snow until I realized it is more than Southerners freaking out whenever it gets cold

The problem is it would be nuts to invest in the amount of snow removal equipment a city in the Northeast/Midwest owns (Of course many of those complaining about the roads not being cleared here are the first to complain about Big Government needing to get out of the way and let the free market fix everything). Because the roads could not get treated/plowed the 2 inches of snow turn into a half inch of ice, which the tractor-trailers (driven by non-Atlantans who presumably do know how to drive in snow) cannot handle, which blocks the interstates. As far as the side streets go, I grew up driving in western PA, but when we last had one of these in 2011 I could not get my car up a 5 degree grade leading out of my subdivision.

Basically Atlanta is screwed if its starts to snow during the middle of a weekday with schools in session and everyone at work
harrison'samonster (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #40
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

Really they have to "plow" 2 inches of snow? Around here we just drive over it.

So you need bigger government to plow 2" of snow?

Look I understand not being ready for it, it's not something they have to deal with on a regular basis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (01-29-2014)