Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers' finish could mean few offensive changes

By Alan Robinson

Published: Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014, 11:15 p.m.
Updated 8 hours ago

The Steelers' offense very much reflected the team's season: forgettable first half, promising second half.

“I thought we were pretty effective on offense coming down the stretch,” team president Art Rooney II said. “Certainly the development of (running back) Le'Veon Bell was something we were hoping for. He really looks to be the kind of player who can be a big contributor going forward. So, yeah, I would say offensively we made a lot of progress, and I think that is something we want to try to build on.”

Every key player on offense is signed for next season except wide receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, who can become unrestricted free agents. Cotchery had 10 touchdown catches a season after having zero in 2012.

Team MVP Antonio Brown had one of the best seasons by any wide receiver in team history; he graded out No. 3 overall in Pro Football Focus' league-wide evaluations, trailing only Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson. Brown's 93.7 yards-per-game average broke a team record that was a half-century old.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 15 times, fumbled five times and threw five interceptions during the 0-4 September, but recovered to set team records for attempts and completions in a season. Rooney said he remains one of the NFL's most underrated players.

Counting passes intentionally thrown away or spiked, Roethlisberger's pass completion was 68.1 percent.

Bell couldn't get on the field until late September after being sidelined twice by injuries during camp, but had a big December with 214 yards rushing and two touchdowns in the final two games. In the three games before that, he caught 17 passes.

Tight end Heath Miller needed time to fully recover from his serious knee injury, and it showed in some of his blocking, but his 58 catches in 14 games were the third most of his career.

The offensive line could have been ruined by Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey's season-ending knee injury eight plays into the season, but pick-up Fernando Velasco proved to be a more than capable replacement. Rooney wants to re-sign him to fill a utility lineman-type role.

Left tackle Mike Adams was benched after allowing 31⁄2 sacks against Minnesota in Week 4. But Kelvin Beachum — in essence, a guard playing undersized at tackle — moved in to solidify the position and probably will be the starter going into camp.

Left guard Ramon Foster was the steadiest lineman, and right guard David DeCastro could be a Pro Bowl player by next season. Both graded out very high as run blockers while allowing only two sacks apiece.

Right tackle Marcus Gilbert allowed the most sacks (11) and quarterback hurries (30) among a starting line that has an average age of 25.

“I like the way we finished and some of the things in terms of how we finished — the improvement of the offense,” Rooney said. “Those, I think, are positive signs. In general, I think there's a lot of younger players we feel good about.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2qqc2qBcg
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,898 Times in 3,833 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Steelers' finish could mean few offensive changes

There's no question that there will be many more changes to the team on the defensive side of the ball. The offense made tremendous strides as the season went on, and we should all be excited about the direction of the offense, and the tremendous play of many young players coming into their own.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-19-2014), Galax Steeler (01-19-2014), Gnutella (01-20-2014), harrison'samonster (01-19-2014), Lady Steel (01-21-2014), SteelersCanada (01-19-2014), Steelstoned1972 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

1) Keep Velasco or Wallace

2) Replace Sanders with Wheaton

3) Keep Cotchery for one more year

4) Let Justin Brown and Moye compete the No.4 WR spot

5) Keep Dwyer
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-19-2014), Buddha Bus (01-19-2014), harrison'samonster (01-19-2014), Lady Steel (01-21-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

5) Keep Dwyer
1. or trade Pouncey and keep both. Get something for him now instead of waiting until his contract is up, besides he has been injured multiple years and to my untrained eye these two filled in very well.

2. Agree let the rookie learn on the fly.

3. Agree again if price is right, I believe he loves it in Pittsburgh but money talks.

4. Agree again, but this draft is DEEP in WRs. If one is available in the later rounds that the FO likes pick him up.

5. Somewhat agree, I do not care for Dwyer. His work ethic and his conditioning has been a problem in the past and only when he lost his job has he worked on that. Bring him into camp and if a rookie shows promise or one of the bodies we have picked up can do the job at a cheaper price than bye bye Dwyer.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
Bane (01-19-2014), Buddha Bus (01-19-2014), harrison'samonster (01-19-2014), Lady Steel (01-21-2014), NSMaster56 (01-19-2014), pczach (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,669 Times in 4,665 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

5) Keep Dwyer
I'm interested to hear if they want to keep Velasco over Wallace. Wallace might be cheaper, and he played C, G, and T in college I believe. One of Velasco's drawbacks has been that he doesn't switch to G to well.

We could let Sanders go if Wheaton is ready. Sanders has been pretty valuable to this team, and if Wheaton isn't ready then we will struggle on offense in my opinion.

I think Dwyer should be brought back, he has been running much more effectively as a back-up. I would also like to see them bring in a short yardage runner. Mewelde Moore is a free agent!
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-19-2014), Buddha Bus (01-19-2014), pczach (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I would also like to see them bring in a short yardage runner. Mewelde Moore is a free agent!
What's Najeh Davenport up to? I hear he's the shit.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (01-19-2014), Bane (01-19-2014), Gnutella (01-20-2014), harrison'samonster (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

All of the scenarios listed above are in play. Everything the team does from here in free agency and the draft will be based on which current players they elect to keep or are able to re-sign.

That's the first order of business, and that will dictate how the dominos fall. Only the organization knows what they are going to do. We'll find out later.

It's always fun to talk about it though. We all have our opinions as to what should be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
pittpete
Starter

Member Number: 5301

Gilbert allowed 11 sacks, holy shit
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
Gilbert allowed 11 sacks, holy shit
He gave up a ton early. He got better as the year went on. He was also playing hurt late in the year.

It's a big number, but he got better. Let's hope he continues to improve, and is a solid player for years to come. I have always thought that Adams would eventually take over at RT. We'll see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-19-2014), harrison'samonster (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Branthrax
Water Boy

Member Number: 25724

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
All of the scenarios listed above are in play. Everything the team does from here in free agency and the draft will be based on which current players they elect to keep or are able to re-sign.

That's the first order of business, and that will dictate how the dominos fall. Only the organization knows what they are going to do. We'll find out later.

It's always fun to talk about it though. We all have our opinions as to what should be done.
I hate this time of year for that reason, the waiting game. It's a different story if you're still playing, but to think we stopped playing games three weeks ago....hard pill to swallow.

About the NFL off-season, it's so painful, especially for me because I really only follow Steelers and NFL football. I occasionally keep tabs on the college game, but college ball runs at the time as the NFL. So when NFL is finished, college has been long over. The next real bit of excitement is free agency but the excitement really only lasts about a week before all the "names" as gone, and with the draft being moved into May, we have a large chunk of time with virtually no major football news