Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,144 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Companies woo pot smokers with edgy ads

So far, no major pitches overtly use the word 'marijuana.' But they're hinting like crazy.

By Bill Briggs, CNBC

An air carrier is veering into a product-pitching space long dominated by late-night, fast-foodies, hinting at legalized marijuana while beckoning flyers to "get mile high."

Spirit Airlines, playing off the approved use and sale of cannabis in the Rocky Mountain State, dangles discounted fares to Colorado where, its ad informs, "the no smoking sign is off," nudging the content needle inside a sales niche called marijuana marketing.

The tactic has been delicately plied by other brands, including Taco Bell (YUM -1.32%), Jack in the Box (JACK +0.28%), Denny's (DENN -0.14%) and Carl's Jr. They have run ads intimating weed use, with code words like "munchies" or "bake," or with squinty-eyed characters engaged in apparent stoner babble.

But Spirit transports passengers through the sky from city to city, not gorditas from a drive-through window to a car. Should an airline mix pot and planes in its consumer messaging?

"Spirit operates in a cutthroat business. They get outshouted by the bigger brands so they have to make their marketing dollars work harder and go further. And the message needs to be disruptive," said Simon Williams, founder and CEO of Sterling Brands, a brand consultancy with clients that include Google (GOOG +1.14%), Disney (DIS +0.30%) and Visa (V -0.11%).

"One of the most effective ways of doing that is courting controversy. Another way is being irreverent. They appear to be doing both and adding some humor in the process," Williams added. "As long as Spirit is not alienating its core target, I think that the current messaging is fine."

With two states (Colorado and Washington) having legalized adult cannabis use and 21 states having sanctioned some form of medical marijuana, the number of mainstream companies that sprinkle a bit of pot into their TV pitches will only grow, predicted Timothy Calkins, a clinical professor of marketing at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.

"Many brands in this country aren't going anywhere near the legalization issue. For most brands, that's very smart," Calkins said. "Some brands, though, can push this. We're going to see more brands take advantage of this and use this as a way to define themselves."

"Spirit Airlines has a certain character and, as a result, I think this works for Spirit," Calkins added. "But we're not going to see United (Airlines) embrace the same idea anytime soon."

So far, no mainstream companies that dabble in weed marketing overtly use the word "marijuana" in their ads. Then again, those same companies are unwilling to use any words when asked to explain the commercials: Calls and emails by CNBC seeking comment from Spirit, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Denny's and Carl's Jr., went unreturned.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post...-with-edgy-ads

once marijuana show corporate America the money it won't take long weed will be legal.
harrison'samonster (01-21-2014), JonM229 (01-22-2014), SteelCityMom (01-23-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,555 Posts
Default Re: Companies woo pot smokers with edgy ads

It will be interesting to see how the new laws effect the free market.

I'm trying to think what other companies might see a boost in sales/profits thanks to increased sales of legalized marijuana... Pepsi (who owns Lays and Funyuns) jumps to mind.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
PeckerWood (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,645 Times in 7,864 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post

I'm trying to think what other companies might see a boost in sales/profits thanks to increased sales of legalized marijuana... Pepsi (who owns Lays and Funyuns) jumps to mind.
Out here, in San Diego, it's already started.

There is a whole series of these commercials.

This one is my favorite, because my friends have sent me on a million Jack runs (I'm always the designated driver, and in turn, the late-nite food procurer). Anyway, I have bought (literally) $60 worth of tacos in one trip.

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-23-2014), NSMaster56 (01-22-2014), PeckerWood (01-21-2014), SteelCityMom (01-23-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
PeckerWood
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post

cereal companies, flavored water soda caffeinated drink companies, advertising firms with a new angle to hit consumers with. come to mind. new games to mess with people high on weed. weed paraphernalia pipes, bongs, papers, blunt raps, and others.
NSMaster56 (01-22-2014), teegre (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,645 Times in 7,864 Posts
My Mood: Dead

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
PeckerWood (01-21-2014), SteelCityMom (01-23-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
PeckerWood
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Out here, in San Diego, it's already started.

There is a whole series of these commercials.

This one is my favorite, because my friends have sent me on a million Jack runs (I'm always the designated driver, and in turn, the late-nite food procurer). Anyway, I have bought (literally) $60 worth of tacos in one trip.

also I have bought a few late night buckets of chicken.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
PeckerWood
Team President

new products
SteelCityMom (01-23-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
PeckerWood
Team President

Old 01-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
cereal companies, flavored water soda caffeinated drink companies, advertising firms with a new angle to hit consumers with. come to mind. new games to mess with people high on weed. weed paraphernalia pipes, bongs, papers, blunt raps, and others.
Dr. Pepper Snapple, Coke and Pepsi own most of the snack foods/sports drinks.

Cereal is something I didn't consider. General Mills is a solid staple in that regard.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

LOL

When I was visiting Seattle in December my cousin asked me what I thought of the Jack In The Box ads that appeal to stoners - I said I had not seen them since we do not have Jack In The Box back East - now I know
teegre (01-24-2014)