Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,412 Times in 2,367 Posts
Default Re: Companies woo pot smokers with edgy ads

Quote:

Phillip Morris, the world’s biggest cigarette producer, announced today that they will join the marijuana legalization bandwagon and start producing marijuana cigarettes. To be marketed under the brand “Marlboro M”, it will be made available for sale through marijuana-licensed outlets in the state of Colorado, and Washington when it becomes commercially legal later this year.

Serafin Norcik, Phillip Morris’ Sr. Vice President for Marketing said in an interview that the company has been high on the idea of marketing cannabis, and has been monitoring the market for some time. It was only when the recent legalization initiatives — winning in Colorado and Washington — that they finally made the decision to take a leap of faith.

Norcik added that they have begun contacting former drug lords in Mexico and Paraguay, currently the largest marijuana-producing countries in the world, for the possibility of setting up a distribution ring across the North and South American continents, to streamline the supply lines.

Since only cigarettes are currently banned in advertisements and promotions in the United States, Phillip Morris also has set aside a huge $15 billion advertising budget just to promote the new “Marlboro M” and are now negotiating with major networks and publishers, to start marketing the product to consumers in the beginning of 2015.

Norcik also revealed that a big initial push is planned around January next year, and have acquired most of the ad airtime for Superbowl XLIX. However, since marijuana will be legal only in Colorado and Washington during the 2015 Superbowl, all the ads will be blacked out in all other States and will only show a static “M” logo for the duration of the ad.

Phillip Morris shares hit an all-time high on the marijuana news and shot up to $998.00 from $83.03 just a few hours after the announcement went public.

http://www.secretsofthefed.com/phill...na-cigarettes/
What happens when the feds decide to enforce the federal drug laws?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
What happens when the feds decide to enforce the federal drug laws?
Colorado is a swing state, the GOP always talks about States rights, and the GOP already has problems with the 18-34 vote by getting on the wrong side of where public opinion is going on gay marriage. The Dems certainly are not going to roll this back.

What States will someone gain that they do not have already if the next Administration goes after not just Colorado and Washington but all the medical marijuana States?

This ship has sailed
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,412 Times in 2,367 Posts

These are a bit less than a year old. But if it's the "law of the land" shouldn't they enforce it? Not pick and choose.

I'm not anti pot, it should be on the level of alcohol.

Feds Crack Down On Hundreds Of Medical Marijuana Shops In California

http://www.businessinsider.com/feds-...ifornia-2013-6

California Medical Marijuana Crackdown Ramps Up As More Dispensaries Targeted For Closure

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3241324.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Norcik added that they have begun contacting former drug lords in Mexico and Paraguay, currently the largest marijuana-producing countries in the world, for the possibility of setting up a distribution ring across the North and South American continents, to streamline the supply lines.
this is bullshit. they shouldn't be allowed to deal with criminal organizations. we have plenty of unused fields right here in the US that can be used to grow pot. once again the politicians will screw this up and out source and let tens or hundreds of millions of dollars end up outside of the country.
i'f i'm making the rules they'd look like this.
1 only pot grown on US soil can be sold in the US.
2. you have to apply for a license to grow weed
3 you pay a fee to get the license ( like a liquor license)
4 farmers pay taxes just like any other farmer..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-24-2014), vasteeler (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,377 Times in 10,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
LOL

When I was visiting Seattle in December my cousin asked me what I thought of the Jack In The Box ads that appeal to stoners - I said I had not seen them since we do not have Jack In The Box back East - now I know
I truly believe that Jack in the Box was founded by a stoner.

Even before these commercials, it was targeting the late-night food-run enthusiast: open 24 hours a day... so much food for so cheap... there is one located within walking-distance of every single bar in San Diego... free roach-clips in the kids meals... et cetera...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-24-2014), JonM229 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
These are a bit less than a year old. But if it's the "law of the land" shouldn't they enforce it? Not pick and choose.

I'm not anti pot, it should be on the level of alcohol.
This was the DOJ explanation last summer for not going after the Washington & Colorado statutes while maintaining these federal enforcement priorities regarding marijuana:

• Preventing the distribution of marijuana to minors;

• Preventing revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs, and cartels;

• Preventing the diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal under state law in some form to other states;

• Preventing state-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;

• Preventing violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana;

• Preventing drugged driving and the exacerbation of other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use;

• Preventing the growing of marijuana on public lands and the attendant public safety and environmental dangers posed by marijuana production on public lands; and

• Preventing marijuana possession or use on federal property.

The Department’s guidance in this memorandum rests on its expectation that states and local governments that have enacted laws authorizing marijuana-related conduct will implement strong and effective regulatory and enforcement systems that will address the threat those state laws could pose to public safety, public health, and other law enforcement interests. A system adequate to that task must not only contain robust controls and procedures on paper; it must also be effective in practice. Jurisdictions that have implemented systems that provide for regulation of marijuana activity must provide the necessary resources and demonstrate the willingness to enforce their laws andregulations in a manner that ensures they do not undermine federal enforcement priorities.

In jurisdictions that have enacted laws legalizing marijuana in some form and that have also implemented strong and effective regulatory and enforcement systems to control the cultivation, distribution, sale, and possession of marijuana, conduct in compliance with those laws and regulations is less likely to threaten the federal priorities set forth above. Indeed, a robust system may affirmatively address those priorities by, for example, implementing effective measures to prevent diversion of marijuana outside of the regulated system and to other states, prohibiting access to marijuana by minors, and replacing an illicit marijuana trade that funds criminal enterprises with a tightly regulated market in which revenues are tracked and accounted for. In those circumstances, consistent with the traditional allocation of federal-state efforts in this area, enforcement of state law by state and local law enforcement and regulatory bodies should remain the primary means of addressing marijuana-related activity. If state enforcement efforts are not sufficiently robust to protect against the harms set forth above, the federal government may seek to challenge the regulatory structure itself in addition to continuing to bring individual enforcement actions, including criminal prosecutions, focused on those harms.

http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resou...2756857467.pdf

In the best of all possible worlds the feds theoretically would prosecute all laws equally, but from a resources and public policy standpoint that does not happen. As noted in the DOJ memo linked above, DOJ has never focused use of its resources on prosecuting recreational users, which has been left to the States. Other Administrations have deemphasized enforcement of other federal statutes, such as those concerning the EPA (Reagan) and securities & mortgage fraud (W).

If the political tide turns like it did with concerns about mortgage fraud and insider trading after the Great Recession, the Feds can go after casual marijuana users in the future.

Based on statements from conservatives such as this one from Rick Perry of Texas this week, I do not see that happening.

Perry emphasized that he is not for the legalization of marijuana but defended states' rights to make those choices. He said it's perfectly constitutional for states like Colorado to experiment with decriminalization and that Washington should stay out of those decisions.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...davos/4803929/
MACH1 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
GodfatherofSoul
Team President
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Candy Crush Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Out here, in San Diego, it's already started.

There is a whole series of these commercials.

This one is my favorite, because my friends have sent me on a million Jack runs (I'm always the designated driver, and in turn, the late-nite food procurer). Anyway, I have bought (literally) $60 worth of tacos in one trip.

Slightly OT, but back when I was in college and before Taco Bell started the big advertising campaigns, you could get 10 tacos or burritos for $5. Good times....
teegre (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #18
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
Slightly OT, but back when I was in college and before Taco Bell started the big advertising campaigns, you could get 10 tacos or burritos for $5. Good times....
10 diarrhea inducers are still 10 diarrhea inducers, no matter what the cost.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
GodfatherofSoul (01-24-2014), JonM229 (01-24-2014), NSMaster56 (01-24-2014), teegre (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,879 Times in 3,067 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
10 diarrhea inducers are still 10 diarrhea inducers, no matter what the cost.
The cost is having diarrhea

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-24-2014), GodfatherofSoul (01-24-2014), NSMaster56 (01-24-2014), teegre (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,561 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

not another poo poo joke? did someone just shit? I thought I heard an asshole.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeckerWood For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-24-2014)