Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,008 Times in 1,285 Posts
Default Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio puts inmates on bread and water for destroying US flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
This is why I miss Chuck's parole hearings. Better than any sitcom or reality show.
Bane (01-29-2014), JonM229 (01-29-2014), tony hipchest (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,146 Posts
Default Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio puts inmates on bread and water for destroying US flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
This is why I miss Chuck's parole hearings. Better than any sitcom or reality show.
Just browse some of the religiously- and politically-enriched posts we're privileged to see in most of the Locker Room's threads.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,499 Times in 725 Posts

Arapaio's antics have been covered pretty well. It ends up costing AZ *more* to house inmates because guards don't work in the same conditions and all the judgments he's had to pay for the cruelty his guards inflict (including killing inmates by denying them their meds). That doesn't count the douchey stuff he does like making families wait for hours to visit just to be assholes.

And, don't forget his civil rights violations from harrassing anyone with brown skin he sees on the street. The feds didn't jump on his ass for nothing.
Bane (01-29-2014), harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #24
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Just browse some of the religiously- and politically-enriched posts we're privileged to see in most of the Locker Room's threads.
I will....once your sig pic releases me from this trance. haha.
Bane (01-29-2014), harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-29-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #25
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,724 Times in 805 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
Arapaio's antics have been covered pretty well. It ends up costing AZ *more* to house inmates because guards don't work in the same conditions and all the judgments he's had to pay for the cruelty his guards inflict (including killing inmates by denying them their meds). That doesn't count the douchey stuff he does like making families wait for hours to visit just to be assholes.

And, don't forget his civil rights violations from harrassing anyone with brown skin he sees on the street. The feds didn't jump on his ass for nothing.
I don't agree with everything he does, but this country has gotten ridiculously soft on the inmates in the correctional system. I would be interested to see some proof of some of those accusations. I highly doubt he'd still be in office if he was killing off inmates. As for making the families wait for visitation, more power to him. 90% of the families coming in to visit are just as scummy as their relatives that are behind bars, we have inmates that span different generations within their respective families. A lot of SRs and JRs that are in out of jail, and often in jail at the same time. Making them wait is probably a little bit harsh, but it makes the experience all the more unpleasant for them and should just further act as a deterrent not to commit crimes in Maricopa County. Obviously doesn't bother these inmates too much if they still choose to commit crimes in Sheriff Arpaio's neck of the woods.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #26
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Most people who commit crimes aren't thinking of the potential consequences at the time, which is why harsh penalties don't act as a deterrent. Just look at the failure of California's Three Strikes law.

The main problem with our penal (ha) system is that the focus is mainly on punishment rather than rehabilitation.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #27
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,724 Times in 805 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
Most people who commit crimes aren't thinking of the potential consequences at the time, which is why harsh penalties don't act as a deterrent. Just look at the failure of California's Three Strikes law.

The main problem with our penal (ha) system is that the focus is mainly on punishment rather than rehabilitation.
Oh but all means of programs are presented to these people and they don't take any of them seriously. We offer a ton of different classes ranging from GED, to Anger Management, to Batterer's Education, to Homeless Assistance, to Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous, etc.... These guys take the classes as a means of getting out of their housing units not because they want to be rehabilitated. Maybe 1 out of 1000 or something actually takes the classes seriously. Maybe more, maybe even less.

I'm all for rehabilitating these guys but turning the correctional system into "Club Fed" isn't going to teach anyone anything and what justice is that for the victims? In the end being in jail or prison is supposed to be a punishment. For all the victims that have been raped, burglarized, molested, neglected, assaulted, or murdered and their families it's not very fair to them that we treat these people with a lot of the privileges afforded to them on the outside.

The biggest issue with the jails and prisons IMO is the amount of mentally ill individuals in jail. The people who truly suffer from mental illnesses such as Schizophrenia, and Multiple-Personality Disorder (for example) are sitting in jails and we as correctional officers have to learn to be mental health professionals in some capacity so that we can properly deal with these individuals. It's not very fair to us, and it's not fair to them either because the mentally ill need to be in facilities where they can get specialized individual treatment.

I would say that a good portion of individuals in jail or prison suffer from mental illness of one form or another. Our Government at the Federal, State, and Local levels needs to come up with a better means of dealing with the mentally ill, rather than just locking them up over and over again. It's flooding the jails and prisons and contributing to the over population issues all over the US.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #28
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:

I disagree Jon. There HAS to be consequences. I'm sure the statistics would also show that (when you consider gangs and crimes of passion), neither consequences nor rehab matter.

From what I've read, the only ones that embrace rehab are serving life sentences or sit on death row.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #29
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I disagree Jon. There HAS to be consequences. I'm sure the statistics would also show that (when you consider gangs and crimes of passion), neither consequences nor rehab matter.

From what I've read, the only ones that embrace rehab are serving life sentences or sit on death row.
I never said that there should be no consequences. When you take out crimes of passion, the overwhelming majority of crimes committed are by those at or below the poverty line. Maybe if we could do something about that, there wouldn't be so many people in jail in the first place.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), IowaSteeler927 (01-30-2014), TheWarDen86 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #30
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
I never said that there should be no consequences. When you take out crimes of passion, the overwhelming majority of crimes committed are by those at or below the poverty line. Maybe if we could do something about that, there wouldn't be so many people in jail in the first place.
I can agree with that. But besides redistributing other peoples wealth and taxing the shit out of me and people like me, how do you accomplish that?