Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,085 Times in 1,308 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio puts inmates on bread and water for destroying US flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
Cute. I guess you're not going to back up your BS then. I figured as much.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #42
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 6,026 Times in 2,200 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio puts inmates on bread and water for destroying US flag

I'm trying to find a source other than Wikipedia, but it claims that the MCSO's office has paid out a total of $43 million in lawsuit settlements under Arpaio.

Here's a recent settlement for $3.75 M for a false arrest lawsuit:

New Times Co-Founders Win $3.75 Million Settlement For False Arrests

Quote:
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors this afternoon voted unanimously to approve a $3.75 million settlement for New Times' co-founders, whose false arrests in 2007 were orchestrated by Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin were taken from their homes in the middle of the night and jailed on misdemeanor charges alleging that they violated the secrecy of a grand jury -- which turned out never to have been convened.

Lacey was pleased with the settlement but expressed disbelief that the arrests ever occurred six years ago: "It was outrageous! Where in America do you arrest journalists for what they write?"

The saga began in 2004, when then-New Times reporter John Dougherty dug into Arpaio's commercial real estate transactions, questioning how a county sheriff could amass so much cash to invest in property and why records of the transactions were hidden from public view.

As part of Dougherty's articles, Arpaio's home address was published, as it was easily available online, including on government websites. The point was that Arpaio had hidden records of his commercial property but hadn't done so for his actual home.

After Andrew Thomas took office as Maricopa County Attorney, Arpaio requested charges against New Times for revealing his home address, based on an arcane state statute that bars publishing such information on the Internet if there's a "timely threat" to an officer of the law.

Because Arpaio waited 10 months to call for an investigation, a County Attorney's Office panel declined to prosecute, since no threat had presented itself. The Pinal County Attorney's Office later also declined to prosecute, citing lack of evidence and First Amendment implications.

So 2 1/2 years after New Times published the sheriff's address, Arpaio and Thomas collaborated to appoint Phoenix attorney Dennis Wilenchik as a "special prosecutor" to go after the paper.

He issued grand jury subpoenas for the notes, records, and sources of the paper's reporters and editors for all Arpaio-related stories over a broad period of time, as well as for the IP addresses of New Times' readers of such stories.

Later, Superior Court Judge Anna Baca, who presided over county grand juries at the time, chided Wilenchik for trying to arrange a secret meeting with her about the case.

Faced with all of this, Lacey and Larkin wrote a cover story detailing what they called a "breathtaking abuse of the constitution."

Arpaio's deputies arrested them the night the story was published on charges of violating grand jury secrecy - alleged misdemeanor violations that normally don't spark nighttime arrests at suspects' homes.

The next day, after widespread public outrage, Thomas announced that Wilenchik was dismissed as special prosecutor and that the investigation was over. Judge Baca later declared that Wilenchik's grand jury subpoenas were invalid, since he'd issued them without notice or approval from a grand jury or from the court.

Arpaio and Wilenchik eventually sought immunity from Lacey and Larkin's lawsuit, but that didn't happen, leading to today's settlement. Thomas escaped potential liability because of protection his county attorney post afforded him when the episode occurred.

"Unlike most of Arpaio's victims, we had the financial wherewithal to defend ourselves in court, and we were able to speak through the newspaper," Lacey and Larkin say in a statement. "But the vulnerable and impoverished victims of Arpaio's ongoing abusive practices have neither the money nor the voice to fight back."

The co-founders announced that they will use the settlement proceeds to "help those who fight the good fight against government actors who attack the most vulnerable among us." Included in this list of recipient organizations are the Arizona ACLU, the Florence Project, and Puente. A contribution also will be made to the Electronic Frontier Foundation to help protect Internet free speech.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
fer522 (01-30-2014), harrison'samonster (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #43
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,634 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
I'm trying to find a source other than Wikipedia, but it claims that the MCSO's office has paid out a total of $43 million in lawsuit settlements under Arpaio.

Here's a recent settlement for $3.75 M for a false arrest lawsuit:

New Times Co-Founders Win $3.75 Million Settlement For False Arrests

Go to Arizona on vacation, leave a Millionaire ! There's big money in being wronged and discriminated against. That's were 3/4ths of America's Millionaires come from...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #44
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,968 Times in 892 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
"Unlike most of Arpaio's victims, we had the financial wherewithal to defend ourselves in court, and we were able to speak through the newspaper," Lacey and Larkin say in a statement. "But the vulnerable and impoverished victims of Arpaio's ongoing abusive practices have neither the money nor the voice to fight back."
I hate this dude!!
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #45
JonM229
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
I hate this dude!!
He demanded to see your papers, didn't he?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
fer522 (01-30-2014), harrison'samonster (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #46
JonM229
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Cute. I guess you're not going to back up your BS then. I figured as much.

Arpaio did commission a study that showed no change in recidivism rates, but it's about 15 years old now. I wonder why he hasn't commissioned another since then.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #47
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,085 Times in 1,308 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
Arpaio did commission a study that showed no change in recidivism rates, but it's about 15 years old now. I wonder why he hasn't commissioned another since then.

Considering his popularity, I guess he doesn't have to spend the money for a commission.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #48
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,968 Times in 892 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
He demanded to see your papers, didn't he?
Dude even wanted to see me naked
harrison'samonster (01-30-2014), JonM229 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #49
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
Dude even wanted to see me naked
naked or "nekkid"?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #50
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,768 Times in 831 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I don't care about his recidivism rate in regards to how he treats the inmates. I care more about justice for the people these inmates have victimized. Of course not all of them are killing, maiming, raping, or assaulting people. How many people have had their sense of security stolen from them by burglars, home invaders, etc... How many children have had their innocence stripped of them by pedophiles? How many women have lost their sense of security and self worth to rapists, or abusers? Yeah lets's give these types of inmates more privileges so we can maybe change the recidivism rate.

You want to change the recidivism rate? Get the lowly misdemeanors out of jail. Paraphernalia, simple assaults, public intoxication should be citation offenses except when the person becomes aggressive or disobedient with the police. Legalize Marijuana because it's ridiculous that it's even illegal. Never smoked it in my life but I've known people that have and I've never heard of one loss of life that could be blamed on use of Marijuana. Why do we let people pound down alcohol but Marijuana is frowned upon? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Get the mentally ill out of jail and into treatment facilities where they can be assisted by mental health care professionals and placed onto medication that will help them curb or control the effects of their mental illnesses. Instead of pawning these people off on the correctional system which is just lazy in and of itself. I wish I could stress this enough to you guys. You wouldn't believe the mentally ill people I deal with for a living, or the sheer amount of them that are in jail.

Also every jail/prison should offer programs that will get inmates out of jail and into actual jobs. We have a Jail Diversion program but it's not nearly enough. A lot of these guys just need honest work to keep them distracted from recommitting crimes.

If we did all of this we'd see a lot less people in jail. The system is broken right now, and people need to step up and fix it instead of just taking the easy way out and ignoring the obvious issues inherent with it.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (01-30-2014)