Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
blackngold8766
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25200
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Gary Kubiak “favorite” for Ravens offensive coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kirby was certainly a rooney rule visit.
the Rooney Rule applies to coordinators??? what?
blackngold8766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,081 Times in 4,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold8766 View Post
the Rooney Rule applies to coordinators??? what?
And GMs
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
blackngold8766
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25200
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
And GMs
I knew GM's but never knew Cordinators.

Tony, what do you think of the Rooney Rule. Don't you think some guys like Wilson are getting used or does that potentially give them exposure ?
blackngold8766 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackngold8766 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,092 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default Re: Gary Kubiak hired as Ravens offensive coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Very good hire.

Any replacement for Caldwell was going to be an upgrade, but Kubiak is a legit OC.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-28-2014), NSMaster56 (01-28-2014), SteelersCanada (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold8766 View Post
I knew GM's but never knew Cordinators.

Tony, what do you think of the Rooney Rule. Don't you think some guys like Wilson are getting used or does that potentially give them exposure ?
i am all for it.

i guess one could say some minorities are being used on occasion, but i look at it as atleast they are able to get in the door and plead their case, whereas in the past, the door may have been locked.

in the case of jim caldwell and lovie smith, they werent used at all. detroit and tampa had plenty of options but these men were front runners based on their merits.

if tony dungy would come back to the NFL, teams would line up to interview him for a position and it would have absolutely nothing to do with the color of his skin.

same with tomlin. if he were to be fired next year, he would be the leading candidate for every job opening based on his accomplishments, capabilities, and qualifications.

no team would "use" him just to fullfil a quota.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
JonM229
Living Legend

If a team already wants to hire a black coach, do they also have to interview white coaches?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
If a team already wants to hire a black coach, do they also have to interview white coaches?
no. just another black coach.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun has a column today on owner involvement in the Kubiak hire that reminds me of rumors regarding AJRII's role in the Haley hiring

John Harbaugh has to make the most of this opportunity

The Ravens already have a theme for the 2014 season. It's called "One Chance," produced by Steve Bisciotti, written by Ozzie Newsome and starring John Harbaugh.

In a one-on-one interview after the annual "State of the Ravens" news conference earlier this month, Bisciotti warned that he wouldn't stand for failure.

"I'll be more apt to get my way next year if their solutions don't change the problems," Bisciotti said. "That's fair, that's where I am as owner.

"They know they've failed, they know they need to change, and to make improvements. If it's not the way I think it should be and then it fails again, then obviously it comes down to owner-head coach relationship."

That could have come into play Monday when Harbaugh announced that Gary Kubiak was his offensive coordinator instead of wide receivers coach Jim Hostler.

Everyone at The Castle knew that Harbaugh wanted Hostler and the Ravens were within a breath and a news release of making that happen.

But the suspicion here is that Newsome probably whispered into Harbaugh's ear Saturday or Sunday night.

It probably went something like this:

"John, you have to aim higher. Hostler, huh? What exactly has he done? Remember, John, you've got one chance to get this right. If you don't, you could lose the right to name future coaches and eventually your job. I have strongly recommended Kubiak to the owner and he said, 'Go get him.' The owner is on board with Kubiak and we've got the green light. Now, would you prefer to go down with Hoss or Kubs?"

Game over.

It was Kubiak. Throughout his news conference Monday, Harbaugh denied having his arm twisted by the front office and even said Kubiak was involved during the two-week-long process, even though Kubiak admitted he became a candidate only in the past couple of days.

The spin was about as sloppy as the offensive communication on the field last season. Harbaugh also looked uncomfortable sitting on the stage like a young boy with an unwanted new daddy (Kubiak) and uncle (quarterbacks coach Rick Dennison).

It's been a big adjustment for Harbaugh. A year ago, he earned capital by winning a Super Bowl ,which allowed him to part ways with some veteran players like Anquan Boldin, Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard.

Now, some of his power has been taken away. If he'd had any juice, he wouldn't have let the front office dictate terms to him.

But they were. Very few coordinators come in with the demands of Kubiak, who is getting his own staff. Longtime Ravens assistants like tight end coach Wade Harman (15 years) were let go, and all Harman ever did was coach players like Shannon Sharpe, Todd Heap and Dennis Pitta and help design the running game that led the Ravens to the 2000-01 Super Bowl title.

Swoosh. Gone.

They had to go because Harbaugh is facing a critical moment. He came close to getting blind-sided by this hire. Newsome brought in most of Harbaugh's original staff, but Harbaugh brought in assistants like Jim Zorn and Juan Castillo.

They weren't successful. Hostler probably wouldn't have been either.

When you compared Hostler with the other candidates like Kubiak, Scott Linehan or even Kyle Shanahan, it shouldn't have been even close.

Linehan had been a head coach with the St. Louis Rams and had turned the Detroit Lions' offense into a Top 10 unit the past couple of years. Shanahan had reasonable recent success running the Washington Redskins' offense despite working with a young quarterback in Robert Griffin III.

Kubiak has coached two Hall of Fame quarterbacks, John Elway, and Steve Young, and won three Super Bowl titles.

Hostler?

He was the San Francisco 49ers' coordinator for one year, in 2007, when they finished last in yards and points. His greatest achievement here has been the development of Torrey Smith and helping devise the Ravens' passing game.

Newsome and Bisciotti kept Harbaugh from possibly hurting this team for years. One chance would have become no chance.

The Ravens now have a highly respected coordinator. He'll have his own staff, but he won't be a dictator like Cam Cameron, and he won't have several assistants pulling in different directions like Jim Caldwell.

Kubiak has always been efficient and organized, one of the most respected offensive minds in the game. His offenses have always been balanced but featured a strong running game.

He'll have a major rebuilding job with the Ravens. They don't have a running back like a Terrell Davis or Arian Foster and their offensive line has major problems, especially in the middle. The Ravens have speed on the outside in Smith and a reliable tight end in Pitta, but no big receiver like Andre Johnson.

But that's down the road. Kubiak reportedly turned down other job offers as a coordinator because he wanted to work for a strong and respected organization.

As for Harbaugh, it seems he has lost some credibility in the front office and in the locker room. Plus, he might be looking over his shoulder for a while until he can trust Kubiak. That could come within months or years, or never.

A few years ago, Bisciotti said Cameron was under fire. Now, it's Harbaugh.

He still has his one chance, and it's much better now than it would have been with Hostler. Instead of a year or two, he might remain head coach for three or four with Kubiak.

The Ravens saved Harbaugh from himself.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...90,full.column

I detest John Harbaugh but WTF?

If Biscotti is upset about Harbaugh's performance after missing the playoffs for the first time after a Super Bowl win and 3 AFC championship appearances in his first 5 seasons that indicates a Danny Snyder level of delusion.

Time for the Ravens to deal with some of the coaching drama we have been having with Haley during the past 2 years?
NSMaster56 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #19
JonM229
Living Legend

Harbaugh obviously can't pick assistants, especially on offense. Juan Castillo is garbage and there was no reason to hire him after the Eagles shit-canned him, other than the fact that he was buddies with Harbaugh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-28-2014), NSMaster56 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #20
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I just can't wait till the daily Flacco/Kubiak feud articles start coming out.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-28-2014), NSMaster56 (01-28-2014)