Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 6,794 Times in 2,427 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Pete Carroll: NFL Should Consider Medical Marijuana to Treat Injured Players

Pete Carroll for Commissioner!

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll agrees with the notion that the NFL should look into medicinal marijuana as a means of taking the best possible care of its players.

While not explicitly coming out in favor of it, Carroll answered a question about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's recent comments on the topic by making it clear he thinks it's an avenue worth pursuing.

"I would say that we have to explore and find ways to make our game a better game and take care of our players in whatever way possible," Carroll said at a news conference Monday following his team's first practice of Super Bowl week. "Regardless of what other stigmas might be involved, we have to do this because the world of medicine is doing this."

Medicinal marijuana is legal in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Washington is one of those states. Colorado and Washington recently legalized marijuana for recreational use.

That this season's AFC Championship Game was played in Denver brought the issue to the forefront of the NFL news cycle, and Goodell said last week that the league could look into allowing medical marijuana if science showed it could be used to treat concussions.

"We will follow medicine, and if they determine this could be a proper usage in any context, we will consider that," he said at a news conference last week in New York. "Our medical experts are not saying that right now."

Marijuana remains on the NFL's banned substances list, and two members of the Seahawks secondary -- cornerbacks Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond -- have served drug suspensions this season. Browner's suspension is ongoing.

Removing marijuana from the league's banned substance list likely would be difficult because the federal government and interstate commerce laws still consider it illegal and prohibit it from being transported across state lines.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,397 Times in 2,722 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Pete Carroll: NFL Should Consider Medical Marijuana to Treat Injured Players

pete carroll just wants to wake and bake
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 6,794 Times in 2,427 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Pete Carroll: NFL Should Consider Medical Marijuana to Treat Injured Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
pete carroll just wants to wake and bake
Who doesn't?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,188 Posts

No wonder Carroll won this poll

NFL Nation reporters surveyed more than 320 players on a wide range of questions over a six-week period in November and December. Carroll was the most popular coaching choice with 72 votes. Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin finished second with 44 votes (14 percent).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...ay-espn-survey
Bayz101 (01-28-2014), GodfatherofSoul (01-28-2014), teegre (01-28-2014)