Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,287
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,600
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts
Default CIA spying on Congress

Further evidence the U.S. intelligence agencies are off their leashes

The chairwoman of the Senate intelligence committee on Tuesday accused the Central Intelligence Agency of improperly removing documents from computers that committee staff members had been using to complete a report on the agency’s detention program, saying the move was part of an effort to intimidate the committee.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California and the chairwoman of the committee, said on the Senate floor that the agency had violated federal law and undermined Congress’s constitutional right to oversee the actions of the executive branch....

Ms. Feinstein said she also wanted to use the speech to address charges in the news media that her staff had inappropriately removed a copy of the internal C.I.A. review from the Northern Virginia facility and brought it to the committee’s offices on Capitol Hill.

The California Democrat confirmed that copies of portions of the review — which in recent weeks has been referred to as the “Panetta Review” because it was ordered by Leon E. Panetta, the former C.I.A. director — is now inside a safe at the Hart Office Building.

She said that it was necessary to keep a copy of the review, which she said “corroborates critical information” of the committee’s own investigation, because of the C.I.A.'s history of destroying records about the detention program.

Specifically, she mentioned the November 2005 decision by C.I.A. officials to destroy videos depicting brutal interrogation methods being used on two Qaeda detainees.


http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us...e.html?hp&_r=0
__________________
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
JonM229
Living Legend
 
JonM229's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 3,600
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24803
Thanks: 9,329
Thanked 8,128 Times in 2,812 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

__________________

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
GodfatherofSoul
Head Coach
Supporter
 
GodfatherofSoul's Avatar
 
Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Commando Champion!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,816
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14842
Thanks: 1,887
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Further evidence the U.S. intelligence agencies are off their leashes

The chairwoman of the Senate intelligence committee on Tuesday accused the Central Intelligence Agency of improperly removing documents from computers that committee staff members had been using to complete a report on the agency’s detention program, saying the move was part of an effort to intimidate the committee.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California and the chairwoman of the committee, said on the Senate floor that the agency had violated federal law and undermined Congress’s constitutional right to oversee the actions of the executive branch....

Ms. Feinstein said she also wanted to use the speech to address charges in the news media that her staff had inappropriately removed a copy of the internal C.I.A. review from the Northern Virginia facility and brought it to the committee’s offices on Capitol Hill.

The California Democrat confirmed that copies of portions of the review — which in recent weeks has been referred to as the “Panetta Review” because it was ordered by Leon E. Panetta, the former C.I.A. director — is now inside a safe at the Hart Office Building.

She said that it was necessary to keep a copy of the review, which she said “corroborates critical information” of the committee’s own investigation, because of the C.I.A.'s history of destroying records about the detention program.

Specifically, she mentioned the November 2005 decision by C.I.A. officials to destroy videos depicting brutal interrogation methods being used on two Qaeda detainees.


http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us...e.html?hp&_r=0
Unless people go to prison, this is all meaningless.
__________________
The Haaardest Workin' Man On The Internet
GodfatherofSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GodfatherofSoul For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 8,049
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 763
Thanked 5,623 Times in 2,720 Posts
My Mood: Pensive
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

NSA spying on CIA

link to follow
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,287
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,600
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
Unless people go to prison, this is all meaningless.
Agreed, but good luck with that

This was John McCain, a war hero who was tortured, on waterboarding

Ask any military lawyer, ask any person who knows about the Geneva Conventions that we're signatories to. We actually prosecuted Japanese war criminals specifically for the act of waterboarding against Americans.


http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...#ixzz2vg1NePf9

But as far as prosecutions go - this from Lindsey Graham

“I support the Administration’s decision to look ahead, not back. President Obama’s decision to not seek retroactive prosecution of these agents, who were following approved procedures and guidelines, is in the best interests of our nation. ...

Water boarding is clearly a violation of current law and in my opinion, constitutes torture. However, during the time periods in question there was no such clear guidance and the agents were following orders and procedures approved by the appropriate authorities. As such, these agents should not face prosecution.


http://www.lgraham.senate.gov/public...on_id&Issue_id

In other words, it's only illegal when we say it is illegal
__________________
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Bane
Head Coach
 
Bane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,911
Member Number: 24775
Thanks: 2,586
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,331 Posts
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
NSA spying on CIA

link to follow
A mod needs to edit your post so it says, "-This post was removed by the National Security Agency due to distribution of illegally obtained information.-"
__________________
Bane is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-11-2014), Buddha Bus (03-11-2014), Vis (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 8,049
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 763
Thanked 5,623 Times in 2,720 Posts
My Mood: Pensive
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
A mod needs to edit your post so it says, "-This post was removed by the National Security Agency due to distribution of illegally obtained information.-"
The last guy who suggested this was trying to get to China from Malaysia recently...
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-11-2014), Bane (03-11-2014), Buddha Bus (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,287
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,600
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Ted Cruz has figured out who to blame

"If it is correct that the CIA breached the security of Senate computers, that is a very serious allegation," said Cruz. "I would note, it is consistent with a pattern of the Obama administration, of disregarding the constitutional liberties of the citizenry and disrespecting the constitutional role of the United States Congress. And I would say that protecting the institutional authority of the U.S. Congress is not helped, when during the State of the Union, President Obama says, 'If Congress won't act, I will,' and virtually every Democrat in Congress stands and cheers."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20..._of_power.html
__________________
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,622
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 1,956
Thanked 5,943 Times in 2,195 Posts
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Feinstein thinks that government spying on U.S. citizens is necessary to protect you. Throws a tantrum when congress is spied on by government.
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-11-2014), PeckerWood (03-12-2014), steelax04 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,287
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,600
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts
Default Re: CIA spying on Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Feinstein thinks that government spying on U.S. citizens is necessary to protect you. Throws a tantrum when congress is spied on by government.
True that

Lindsey Graham was okey-dokey with the CIA waterboarding folks but messing with Congress is quite another matter

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina called the allegations "dangerous to a democracy," if it's substantiated that the CIA interfered with a congressional investigation.

"Heads should roll, people should go to jail, if it's true. ... I'm going to get briefed on it. If it is, the legislative branch should declare war on the CIA, if it's true," Graham said.


http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/politics/senate-cia/

Better late than never I guess
__________________
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts