Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,089 Times in 3,194 Posts
Default The Best Super Bowl Documentary You've Never Seen - Super Bowl X

It is late, I have been drinking, and I stumbled on this

If you have the time, this documentary on Super Bowl X (Steelers - Cowboys) that opens with Dwight White saying "the Devil's got you if you stay home watching a football game" is pretty good - no way Goodell gives this access today

The Best Super Bowl Documentary You've Never Seen (Featuring Bill Murray, Groupies, And Bob Irsay Being A Dick)

TVTV (Top Value Television), a group I co-founded, was a band of merry videomakers who, from 1972 to 1977, took the then-new portable video camera and went out to document the world. In those days, there were only three TV networks, using giant studio cameras, and no one had ever seen a portable camera stuck in their face, let alone one held by what Newsweek called at the time "braless, blue-jeaned video freaks." Because the technology was so new, there were no rules about how to use it or what to make. TVTV used it to make format-bending satirical shows about whatever interested its members—from the 1972 Republican National Convention to an award-winning expose of a 15-year-old jet-set guru named Guru Maharaj Ji, called "Lord of the Universe."

Super Bowl X in 1976, coinciding with America's 200th anniversary, was a perfect event for TVTV's impressionistic style of video. Dubbed by someone at the time as "the Woodstock of corporate America," it was just becoming the major TV spectacle that it is now. And then as now, it drew tons of coverage, most of which was commercial pandering and a straight-ahead broadcast of a football game. To TVTV, the game was the least important aspect of the whole media orgy. TVTV wanted to get to know the players, their wives, their maniacal supporters, and ride around with corporate fat cats in their yachts and on their private planes. It wanted to capture the reality behind the hype.

In 1976, no videomakers had ever walked into a pro football locker room and hung out with the players. No videomakers had ever invited the players to drop by their own hangout—in TVTV's case, a rented mansion that could communally house 30 or 40 counterculture types making the program. No videomakers had ever had the idea of giving a player his own portable video unit for a night to go back to the off-limits player dormitory and shoot whatever he wanted.

Again, because no one had ever wanted to get close to the real event, TVTV had almost carte-blanche access. Guided by Dallas Cowboy Pro Bowl tight end Jean Fugett, a TVTV crew documented a typical day in the Dallas locker room, meeting players without their pads and hearing what they really thought about what they did. At one point Pittsburgh Steeler great Lynn Swann took off his shirt and gave a guided tour of his scars and concussions. As defensive end Harvey Martin said while showering, "It's a job." An all-woman TVTV crew hung out poolside with player's wives and followed them through the excruciating ordeal of watching their husbands win or lose the biggest game of their life.

Along with the dozen or so documentary crews covering this circus, TVTV added another element—comedy journalists. A very young, pre-SNL Bill Murray, his brother Brian Doyle-Murray, Christopher Guest, and Harold Ramis merged their improv comedy style with TVTV's improv shooting style and waded into the festivities. Decades before the faux-reporters of Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, TVTV was mixing reality and comedy.

Only a year or so after the Super Bowl show, TVTV disbanded. Despite its reputation as creative groundbreakers, the collective never got any financial support from any sector of the television industry and couldn't continue making video for peanuts. Last year was the 40th anniversary of the founding of TVTV, and the Paley Center for Media in New York recognized the group with a 40th birthday tribute. As the center said in its announcement of the event, TVTV's work remains, decades later, "fresh and startling and incisive and irreverent." This is a fairly apt description of TVTV Goes to the Superbowl.

http://deadspin.com/i-dont-know-wher...0488/@reubenfb
bornaSteelersfan (02-04-2014), fer522 (02-07-2014), FrancoLambert (02-03-2014), Jazzo (02-03-2014), Kanata-Steeler (02-03-2014), SteelerEmpire (02-04-2014), VaDave (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
Jazzo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16276
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: The Best Super Bowl Documentary You've Never Seen - Super Bowl X

I love the game footage on the last video! I never get tired of seeing that fantastic catch that Lynn Swann made, lol. The fans sure have changed since then That's back when football still seemed more authentic. Thanks for the post!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Mrs. Blier should work for the NFLPA..
steelfury02 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

AD,

If staying up late after drinking causes you to stumble upon more like this....keep it up.

Thoroughly enjoyed it....great footage......real dialogue.......great inside look.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo View Post
That's back when football still seemed more authentic.
Ms. Goodell WISHES she could have games like this today, but she gets in her-own way
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

I was just under 8 years old when my Father drove us from Pittsburgh to Miami for that game. The day before we went fishing and the temperature was in the high 80's. The day of the game it dropped to around 50 degrees (notice the cheerleaders wearing jackets and even Lynn Swann got cold.). We were high up in the bleachers near where Gerela's Gorilla was going around the crowd. That was when football was real and many of the players had to have other jobs to support their desire to play. Great Documentary! It brought me back to my favorite football memory. Thank you for finding it and sharing it.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,089 Times in 3,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
I was just under 8 years old when my Father drove us from Pittsburgh to Miami for that game. The day before we went fishing and the temperature was in the high 80's. The day of the game it dropped to around 50 degrees (notice the cheerleaders wearing jackets and even Lynn Swann got cold.). We were high up in the bleachers near where Gerela's Gorilla was going around the crowd. That was when football was real and many of the players had to have other jobs to support their desire to play. Great Documentary! It brought me back to my favorite football memory. Thank you for finding it and sharing it.
I also was there and remember how cold it was on game day.

My favorite pregame memory was driving to the Orange Bowl and first seeing a burnt orange Cadillac with a Dallas Cowboys pennant discreetly lying on the shelf between the back seat and the rear window. Then we saw a station wagon caked with salt and road grime picked up on the drive down from the frozen North with a hand lettered GO Steelers sign taped across the entire rear door

Still have my ticket stub - tickets were $20

You got that right about the players not being big rich back then - at the end of the 4th video I posted there is a conversation between the wives of Rocky Bleier and Jack Ham in the Orange Bowl tunnel after the game where Ms. Ham said it is a good thing they won since she already had spent the money on remodeling the rec room and buying a pool table
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,650 Times in 934 Posts

Wow!! Thanks for the post. What a great day that was!
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Good memories. When football was football. Very nostalgic.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,233 Times in 654 Posts

Does anyone know where I can watch the complete games for the old SB's? The other day I had found a complete video of IX but I didn't finish it and now I can't find the page. I have never seen them and would really like to watch them.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote