Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,512 Times in 10,350 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Munchak scouts talents in later rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Man, you guys are seeing a lot of things in Mike Adams that I'm not. I see a guy that has a slow first step and the inability to use his arms effectively. When tasked against the better pass rushers in the league, Adams becomes a revolving door.
True.. but, Munchak has a lot of physical stuff to work with. You can't teach his size & speed.

And, his run blocking is insane. I could run behind Adams for 4 ypc.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
pczach (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,714 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
True.. but, Munchak has a lot of physical stuff to work with. You can't teach his size & speed.

And, his run blocking is insane. I could run behind Adams for 4 ypc.
Unfortunately, his technique is flawed even for a Guard. That fist step and lack of upper body strength is painful to watch at times. How often did we see Suggs just use his bend to get around him without an issue and force Roethlisberger to step up in the pocket? Adams in his current state is a borderline depth player. While he does have prototypical size and exceptional speed, his lateral movement is almost laughably and embarrassingly bad.

I hope you guys are right, I really do. There was a time where I had high confidence in him and thought he had Pro Bowl potential, then this season happened. He is, until proven otherwise, the biggest bust we've had since Limas Sweed.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,512 Times in 10,350 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Unfortunately, his technique is flawed even for a Guard. That fist step and lack of upper body strength is painful to watch at times. How often did we see Suggs just use his bend to get around him without an issue and force Roethlisberger to step up in the pocket? Adams in his current state is a borderline depth player. While he does have prototypical size and exceptional speed, his lateral movement is almost laughably and embarrassingly bad.

I hope you guys are right, I really do. There was a time where I had high confidence in him and thought he had Pro Bowl potential, then this season happened. He is, until proven otherwise, the biggest bust we've had since Limas Sweed.
This is what I've seen (which is not nearly as honed as my ability to see other parts of the field):

Adams waits for the DE/OLB to make a make, and then tries to react... versus punching his arms out, & taking control of the DE/OLB. In other words, he reacts... instead of attacking... (which always puts him a half-second behind the defender).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I dont think we've wasted any top picks on OL recently. All of the picks were necessary. But as Teegre said, we should have the guy that can properly develop them and, hopefully, take this offense to new heights.
Good point.

None of the OL drafted thus far have been 'wasted' picks. It was the right strategy with the right amount of risk.

I meant more that future OL picks would be aggravating since the Steelers have invested at least three top-two round picks in OL.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #25
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,790 Times in 3,798 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:

I don't see how some are calling him a bust. He has only played two years. He has already missed significant time in his rookie year to injury, and was stabbed in the offseason. I think he does have talent. I understand that his pass blocking is his weakness, but you can't call anyone that can successfully run block the way he does a bust in the NFL. I think he showed some growth at the end of this year when he came in for an injured Beachum and played well.

I can't wait to see what Munchak can do with the talent already on the roster. I have a feeling we'll be rewarded with very good play from players like Adams if people just show a little patience and have reasonable expectations.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-05-2014), SteelersCanada (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #26
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,283 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I don't care what round he finds them in or even if they are FAs that he finds under a rock. I just want him to assemble a monster Oline that plays with chips on their shoulders.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I don't see how some are calling him a bust. He has only played two years. He has already missed significant time in his rookie year to injury, and was stabbed in the offseason. I think he does have talent. I understand that his pass blocking is his weakness, but you can't call anyone that can successfully run block the way he does a bust in the NFL. I think he showed some growth at the end of this year when he came in for an injured Beachum and played well.

I can't wait to see what Munchak can do with the talent already on the roster. I have a feeling we'll be rewarded with very good play from players like Adams if people just show a little patience and have reasonable expectations.
While it may indeed be premature to call him a bust, he has shown no discernible progress since his rookie season. This includes camp and OTAs. He has seen significant snaps since his rookie season and has actually shown signs of regression. It's concerning.

I definitely agree with you - he's an absolute monster in the run game. However, as good as he is in run blocking, he's equally as bad in pass protection. Beachum has come in and just taken over the role. His work against Suggs was absolutely phenomenal. On the flip side, Adams' work against Jared Allen was some of the worst offensive line play I have ever seen at any level. He was an absolute turnstile and Ben was constantly stepping up in the pocket or being hit within 1 - 1.5 seconds of the snap.

All of that said, it's very easy to see what's wrong with Adams. His technique, first step, kick slide and aggressive lunge at the snap combine for him to be one of the worst pass protectors in the NFL. If there is a silver line to be seen here, it's that all of these things are coachable. The kicker for Adams though is that, statistically, Beachum's last 7 games of the season were absolutely remarkable. He scored one of the highest pass block efficiency ratings in the NFL. That sort of begs the question - is Adams even worth it at this point? We may indeed have a stud in Beachum who is not only head and shoulders above Adams in technique, but ultimately has shown to be effective in the run game as well.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #28
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Because Justin Hartwig was awesome.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Because Justin Hartwig was awesome.
Are you... are you going by one guy? Please tell me this was sarcasm.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #30
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Are you... are you going by one guy? Please tell me this was sarcasm.
No I actually like Munchak but I chuckled when I saw the one guy the article mentioned as a supposed steal was Justin Hartwig.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote