Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #31
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers must rebuild 'Stained Curtain'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
The article is just re-hashing the same things we have knows now for the past two years. We can beat this to death but we all know that this defense needs re-building BIG TIME! We also need to add serious depth as well because our back-ups would be 3rd's on other teams with a strong D (Seattle). In my opinion, the only one that should be back on this defense as a starter is Troy & Worilds. I would only take Ike back on a reduced salary and as a back-up. I know right now we really don't have another starter but Ike is now a liability instead of an asset but he would be good to mentor a young guy, drafted player. Woodley should be cut/designated for after June 1st. Ziggy, unfortunately cannot play at the level that is required for this D. Keisel is still more effective when he is not hurt. To be honest with everyone, it may take this and the next draft to get things sorted out on D, assuming we hit on these picks as well.
I think youre overestimating the quality of defensive players on other teams throughout the league.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #32
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold8766 View Post
Butler shouldnt be the next DC When its time for a change its should be a new face and fresh ideas. That IMO will be the best way to rejuvenate and refocus.
Next season is going to be critical for many on the staff. From top to bottom.
Butler IS the next DC. He was offered DC with Whiz in TEN and declined. He declined AZ when Whiz took that job. He's waiting for LeBeau to retire. All the Steelers defensive players were drafted with the 3-4 in mind. I think the Rooneys are attempting to allow LeBeau another season to right the ship. Cowher got 3 seasons to rebuild. I expect the Butler era to begin in 2015.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #33
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I think youre overestimating the quality of defensive players on other teams throughout the league.

Really? Name any team that has a good defense and quality depth in this league that you think guys like Al Wood, Steve McClendon, would be a back-up on. Teams that have a good defense and good depth, these guys would be 3rd's on. Do you honestly think we have good depth on this team when it comes to the defensive side of the ball?
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #34
CNEW
Team Captain

Quote:

Really? Name any team that has a good defense and quality depth in this league that you think guys like Al Wood, Steve McClendon, would be a back-up on. Teams that have a good defense and good depth, these guys would be 3rd's on. Do you honestly think we have good depth on this team when it comes to the defensive side of the ball?
LIke I said, you're overestimating the talent most teams have on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #35
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Quote:
LIke I said, you're overestimating the talent most teams have on the defensive side of the ball.
Or could it be that you're looking at these guys through rose colored glasses because they're on the Steelers?
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #36
menofsteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 18421

Quote:
Or could it be that you're looking at these guys through rose colored glasses because they're on the Steelers?
Concerning evaluating the Steelers depth compared to other teams, found this site helpful: Pro Football GM
menofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #37
CNEW
Team Captain

Quote:
Youre assuming I think highly of the steelers defenders; I don't. I just don't think highly of the league as a whole from a defensive standpoint. I think its clear that bad defense is widespread throughout the league.
harrison'samonster (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,720 Times in 4,275 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Youre assuming I think highly of the steelers defenders; I don't. I just don't think highly of the league as a whole from a defensive standpoint. I think its clear that bad defense is widespread throughout the league.
I tend to agree with you. But is it the defensive players, or the crack down on hard hits that is making defenses weaker.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #39
CNEW
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I tend to agree with you. But is it the defensive players, or the crack down on hard hits that is making defenses weaker.
If were going to look at the reason for bad defensive play, I would say it is much more because of the development of offensive concepts in general.Offenses can attack you in so many different ways now a days, and there is only so many coverages that a defense can play.
harrison'samonster (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #40
blackngold8766
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25200
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
Butler IS the next DC. He was offered DC with Whiz in TEN and declined. He declined AZ when Whiz took that job. He's waiting for LeBeau to retire. All the Steelers defensive players were drafted with the 3-4 in mind. I think the Rooneys are attempting to allow LeBeau another season to right the ship. Cowher got 3 seasons to rebuild. I expect the Butler era to begin in 2015.
Do you sense a pattern with Whiz

The team went outside the organization when they hired their last head coach and their last OC. Do you think LeBeau gen2 is the best direction moving forward. Honestly, I think things are a little stale. A new voice running a similar scheme with rejuvenate.
blackngold8766 is offline   Reply With Quote